Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Mad Stitch

Gee, I really want to register for the full marathon. I’ll have 3 half’s under my belt by then but I’m still afraid to make the jump to the full myself even though I tell everyone else they can do it. :lookaroun

Ariel484

Gee, I really want to register for the full marathon. I’ll have 3 half’s under my belt by then but I’m still afraid to make the jump to the full myself even though I tell everyone else they can do it. :lookaroun

You can TOTALLY do it. What better year to run the marathon, with this being the 20th anniversary?? As long as you find a training plan and stick to it, you'll be fine, especially having run 3 half's (halves? :shrug:).

p.s. GO TRIBE! :wave:

dreamfinder

Well, the pins and processing more than ate up the Visa discount. : ( But it feels good to know that I have registered and don't have to wait around to make sure I pull the trigger. Now just need the 5k to open up for the Dopey.

Ariel484

Ha! Yes, go Tribe!

Its Tribe Time Baby!

Booyah! :cool:

Well, the pins and processing more than ate up the Visa discount. : ( But it feels good to know that I have registered and don't have to wait around to make sure I pull the trigger. Now just need the 5k to open up for the Dopey.

I know...the pins and processing fees about killed me. I don't normally collect pins but they roped me in last year and now I regret not getting one for the 2011 Princess Half. :cry: Really it's the processing fees that irk me more than anything though.

dreamfinder

I know...the pins and processing fees about killed me. I don't normally collect pins but they roped me in last year and now I regret not getting one for the 2011 Princess Half. :cry: Really it's the processing fees that irk me more than anything though.

Ayup. And most races around here actually charge less to register online vs paper, and you typically still come out ahead even with the registration fees. And I think this is the only thing at Disney where they blatantly pass on credit card costs to the customer.

The bump up to do the Goofy is still the best value out of the whole event. $20 for another long sleeve t and medal seem like a bargain compared to the other costs.

Ariel484

Ayup. And most races around here actually charge less to register online vs paper, and you typically still come out ahead even with the registration fees. And I think this is the only thing at Disney where they blatantly pass on credit card costs to the customer.

The bump up to do the Goofy is still the best value out of the whole event. $20 for another long sleeve t and medal seem like a bargain compared to the other costs.

Agreed...I think it's unlikely you could find a decent long-sleeved tech t-shirt for $20.

I know they always do it this way, but each year it surprises me that the registration prices for the half = the registration price for the full. I guess they know they can do that and still fill the half up, though. :shrug: I don't think the price for the full is too bad, especially when you compare it to other big marathons (New York, Chicago, etc.)...the half and 5K I'm not so sure about.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
We're really thinking about doing the full next year. I've done 5 halfs, my wife 4. I plan on doing at least another 2, if not 3 this year yet.

I'm nervous about the jump to 26.2. My wife told me last night "Anything over 13 seems really long". I reminded her that she said that when she got past 7 miles as well.

I downloaded Jeff Galloway's book to our Kindle, and we're going to give that a read. I just need to know we can do this.

dreamfinder

We're really thinking about doing the full next year. I've done 5 halfs, my wife 4. I plan on doing at least another 2, if not 3 this year yet.

I'm nervous about the jump to 26.2. My wife told me last night "Anything over 13 seems really long". I reminded her that she said that when she got past 7 miles as well.

I downloaded Jeff Galloway's book to our Kindle, and we're going to give that a read. I just need to know we can do this.

You can do it. You have already made it half way there. The second half is the fun part of the race. (At least at WDW) Personally outside of running through the castle, the second half of the course is much better. Once you get past the waste treatment plant its pretty cool. Pulling the trigger on the registration is the best way to get you serious about training.

Texas84

I did the last full. I said I would never do it again but two of my cousins want to do it and now I'm looking forward to it. It's something you have to do once. I did the Galloway plan but I only made it to 20 miles in my training.

lukacseven

If you've already run several halfs (or halves?), you can do it! Imagine running the half - at the point where the full turns on Bear Road toward AK, it is past the 13 mile marker (this is about mile 9 of the half). The next 3 miles IMO are the toughest on the course because they are on fairlya secluded road. From mile 16 on through the finish, the course is alot of fun and goes quickly (like someone else said - once you pass the sewage treatment plant). Last year, the crowds were the largest and most enthusiastic I've ever seen along the last 4 miles of the marathon - that really helps you out when you need it most

Texas84

The sewage plant was a little nasty but they had some signs there that made me laugh and picked me up a bunch. It was also fun seeing some more backstage. Backstage AK was really interesting.

Mad Stitch

How is the run between AK and the Studios? That stretch seems like it would be the worst part of the whole race, especially with the out and back. I would think once you reach the Studios the race looks like fun through to the finish.

frank2271

the stretch between AK and the Studios is the worst part of the race, IMHO. The out and back is bad. Then the hill going up the over pass that is over the Studios enterance, rough. But from then on, it's a real fun race, your off the streets and on your way to the finish.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
the stretch between AK and the Studios is the worst part of the race, IMHO. The out and back is bad. Then the hill going up the over pass that is over the Studios enterance, rough. But from then on, it's a real fun race, your off the streets and on your way to the finish.

Where do you enter the Studios? During the wine and dine, you run almost past the studios, then come back to it and enter behind ToT.

Ariel484

How is the run between AK and the Studios? That stretch seems like it would be the worst part of the whole race, especially with the out and back. I would think once you reach the Studios the race looks like fun through to the finish.

Yeah, this is the area of the course where I struggled the most. That out-and-back was the WORST. The other area of the course I was worried about was miles 12-16...where you leave the Magic Kingdom and head to Animal Kingdom...but it wasn't bad at all. The shade from the trees felt amazing and they had good entertainment along that portion of the course.

Where do you enter the Studios? During the wine and dine, you run almost past the studios, then come back to it and enter behind ToT.

Okay...so we ran next to the traffic heading to the Studios entrance and up the overpass, like Frank says:

IMG_0376.jpg

Then we somehow went around the back and entered behind ToT...so it sounds similar to what you're saying. I don't have a great memory for it though, so maybe someone can correct me.

IMG_0379.jpg

lukacseven

I actually like the out and back part of the course - there's always seemed to be a decent spectator crowd and with the water stop, it felt quick to me. Last year I didn't mind the overpass either, maybe that's because I was so misserable back in '10 when it was 30 degrees and I was freezing at that point. What was disappointing for me was going through World Showcase. I thought the crowd was awesome going through HS and all the way until entering Epcot, but since the WS isn't open yet, there were no people, other than a few cast members. That was kind of boring lull until I got to Mexico.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom