Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

216bruce

In for my first Dopey Challenge, which will also most likely contain my first full marathon! So excited!! Hopefully I won't get sick, and it won't rain, which is what happened for my first 1/2 at Wine and Dine this year :).
Did the Dopey last year and it rained on and off during the marathon. It actually felt pretty good. Now if it had been a heavy or steady rain...probably not so much.

Texas84

Dopey is not sold out. Did not need to see that right now.

Running away from the computer now before I do something stupid...

arnold-do-it.jpg

dreamfinder

• Walt Disney World® Marathon presented by Cigna® - 60%
  • Dopey Challenge presented by Cigna® - SOLD OUT
  • Runner's World Challenge - 95%
  • Goofy's Race and Half Challenge presented by Cigna® - 77%
  • Walt Disney World® Half Marathon presented by Cigna® - SOLD OUT
  • Walt Disney World® 10K presented by Cigna® - SOLD OUT
  • Walt Disney World® 5K presented by Cigna® - SOLD OUT
  • Castaway Cay Challenge - 50%
  • Family Reunion Breakfast - 50%
  • Race Retreat - 55%
  • ChEAR Squad - 50%
  • runDisney Kids Races - 60%

dreamfinder

• Walt Disney World® Marathon presented by Cigna® - 67%
  • Runner's World Challenge - SOLD OUT
  • Goofy's Race and Half Challenge presented by Cigna® - 85%
  • Race Retreat - 55%
  • ChEAR Squad - 50%
  • runDisney Kids Races - 67%

DocAlan02

Has anyone heard any details on the course for this year's marathon? I was thinking it might have to change a bit due to construction at the Studios. I last did the race in 2013 for the 20th anniversary, and I know it was a new course for that year, but it appears to have remained the same the last 2 years.

dreamfinder

• Walt Disney World® Marathon presented by Cigna® - 67%
  • Goofy's Race and Half Challenge presented by Cigna® - 90%
  • Race Retreat - 55%
  • ChEAR Squad - 50%

dreamfinder

Has anyone heard any details on the course for this year's marathon? I was thinking it might have to change a bit due to construction at the Studios. I last did the race in 2013 for the 20th anniversary, and I know it was a new course for that year, but it appears to have remained the same the last 2 years.

Nothing firm, but seeing as how no one has actually reported any construction in that backstage area to the best of my knowledge (outside perhaps of the extra TSMM track work in Soundstage 1) I'd be more inclined to say it will change because they are closing down the speedway.

DocAlan02

Nothing firm, but seeing as how no one has actually reported any construction in that backstage area to the best of my knowledge (outside perhaps of the extra TSMM track work in Soundstage 1) I'd be more inclined to say it will change because they are closing down the speedway.

Yeah, I thought about that part too. But are we sure that, despite it closing, it will be physically changed by January? If not, it could still be part of the course.

Texas84

We probably won't know anything on the new course until December but word here is Disney wants to move fast on that track project. They are putting in some major effort towards roads and Downtown is a mess.

Bring back the Epcot morning run!

dreamfinder

Demoing the track and adding parking/building roads/whatever strikes me as being something significantly cheaper and easier to get greenlit than redoing half a theme park. For some reason I'm dreading more meandering through WWoS or longer doglegs at some point. As cool as that early AM Epcot path was, I can't see them going back to that.

216bruce

The Speedway was the worst part of the course and thank heavens it's gone. That 'drop' into the track was brutal and once you got in it was like running in the Sahara. Die track, die!

lukacseven

I really liked the speedway portion of the course. The tunnel getting onto the track was a bit steep, but I enjoyed running around the track. The car clubs had a lot to look at, the music was good and it was always just about starting to get light out around that part. One of the changes I could see to the course once the track is demo'd would be to continue straight on Victory Way as you exit WWOS. Turn left on E. Buena Vista Drive and enter DHS at the same point you always did. If you take the approx. distance of the that route vs. the old route & eliminate the race track, that would leave roughly .3 miles of course to make up somewhere else. Maybe loop around the Swan/Dolphin at the later part of the course? It will be interesting to see what they do and if it will impact 2016.

Texas84

I liked the speedway because of the cars, but that down ramp was dangerous and the sideways slope was rough on the legs. So I had to 'Like' two opposing posts. :D

dreamfinder

• Walt Disney World® Marathon presented by Cigna® - 70%
  • Goofy's Race and Half Challenge presented by Cigna® - 93%
  • Race Retreat - 55%
  • ChEAR Squad - 50%
3 days since the last update, and both changes were only an increase of 3%.

imagination30

finally got around to ordering the limited edition run disney training shirt today!! . luckly i looked at it . bc i was going to order in the morning but today was the last day to order them!

wdwjmp239

Well, I was just told about the 2016 Marathon approximately 48 hours ago and I'm happy to say that my sis-in-law (who was going to run this solo) and I are going to be crazy enough to do the WDW Full Marathon! Now, this is funny especially since none of us run. I'm a cyclist and would rather have wheels under my legs, but to appease my fellow runners - I'll just take to the asphalt using just my legs.

Has anyone used the beginning runner marathon training program on the runDisney website? It looks like from some YouTube videos I've seen that while a good portion of the participants are runners, there are equal number of walkers as long as they keep a certain pace. I'm excited, but yet, kinda nervous. Hey...I'm just looking to cross that finish line (or argue with my sis-in-law about who the last person is going to be to cross that finish line) ;)

Skippy

Has anyone used the beginning runner marathon training program on the runDisney website? It looks like from some YouTube videos I've seen that while a good portion of the participants are runners, there are equal number of walkers as long as they keep a certain pace.
IIRC, the beginner training program is a lot like the usual plan you will find everywhere online. (ie. take your time getting to the point where you can run 30 minutes nonstop, afterwards do two 30 min (3mi+) runs on weekdays plus a long run on the weekend that gradually increases from 3mi to ~20-24mi (maybe with a few dips and plateaus in distance)). In my experience that format worked great for me and I would recommend a similar training plan, although I didn't strictly follow their plan (Made a rash decision to sign up in October :p).

There are a HUGE number of run/walkers. That is, people who run for a few minutes, walk for a few minutes, repeat until the race is over. I don't know if anyone walks the entirety of the race (That might be cutting it close with pacing, I'm not sure). There are enough run/walkers, and racers in general that walking for any portion of it won't seem unusual or that you're not keeping up.

Texas84

Well, I was just told about the 2016 Marathon approximately 48 hours ago and I'm happy to say that my sis-in-law (who was going to run this solo) and I are going to be crazy enough to do the WDW Full Marathon! Now, this is funny especially since none of us run. I'm a cyclist and would rather have wheels under my legs, but to appease my fellow runners - I'll just take to the asphalt using just my legs.

Has anyone used the beginning runner marathon training program on the runDisney website? It looks like from some YouTube videos I've seen that while a good portion of the participants are runners, there are equal number of walkers as long as they keep a certain pace. I'm excited, but yet, kinda nervous. Hey...I'm just looking to cross that finish line (or argue with my sis-in-law about who the last person is going to be to cross that finish line) ;)

Check out halhigdon.com

JillC LI

Best book EVER for a first time marathoner: http://www.amazon.com/Non-Runners-Marathon-Trainer-David-Whitsett/dp/1570281823

It was circulated in the past on this forum and loved by many, myself included.

dreamfinder

• Walt Disney World® Marathon presented by Cigna® - 70%
  • Goofy's Race and Half Challenge presented by Cigna® - 97%
  • Family Reunion Breakfast - 51%
  • Race Retreat - 55%
  • ChEAR Squad - 50%
  • runDisney Kids Races - 72%

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom