Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

OG Runner

I ment some people start on week 4 or 8 of the program, so skipping a few weeks, instead of training so little.

I've done both my marathons with little sceduled training or preparation and it went okay :) but I wouldnt recommend that.

If your picture is fair representation, you run on a regular basis. Given that you may not have to follow a formal plan
and really are just getting yourself comfortable with the miles. When I ran my first marathon, I ran about 5 to 7 miles
each day and the longest run I had before the marathon was 18 miles. I was 16 at the time, it is a little different now
that I am 61.

RunningKoen

If your picture is fair representation, you run on a regular basis. Given that you may not have to follow a formal plan
and really are just getting yourself comfortable with the miles. When I ran my first marathon, I ran about 5 to 7 miles
each day and the longest run I had before the marathon was 18 miles. I was 16 at the time, it is a little different now
that I am 61.

My workouts and/or running are anything but regular. I can do 6-8 times a week but also 6-8 times in two months.
I wouldnt recommemd that to anybody or use myself as a comparison :). I am just comfortable with endurance and can dig deep for quite a while. And even that happens irregular (2 marathons in total, 2017 and 2019.)

I havent followed it, but I have a book about training based on your heartbeat and its max is a 14 km (8.6m?) training. If you don't cross a certain threshold of your endurance, you can handle the impact of a marathon because the different impact of the anearboic and aerobic system.

Greenlawler

Hal Higdon has some great plans for experienced runners. I’ve had much success with his plans! Google his name.

I have used Higdon for every Dopey I have run.

Pretty sure I have been reppin his plans here for a very long time...lol

His Intermediate 2 is tailor made for Dopey.

We are not even in his 18 week window lol....

But granted Higdon expects you to be able to do 10 miles on your first long run.

So I would say if you are getting ready for Dopey and want to try and use Higdon, you should be around the 6 or 7 mile Sunday run at this point. You have 5 Sundays to get to the 10 mile threshold.

August 29th is the first week of Higdon training, for veteran runners.

Last edited:

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
My training plan for my first Dopey/first marathon was signing up for the W&D Two Course Challenge and a couple of other halves in October/November, plus a 4-miler in December, and just seeing how it goes. Never underestimate the impact on will power when you haphazardly sign yourself up for things that sound crazy, that’s “future you’s” problem, nothing you need to get too stressed over now!

I am available for private coaching sessions to teach my run/jog/walk method. I don’t want to divulge too many secrets, but it involves three steps to success in any race: 1) Run! (until you can’t), 2) Jog! (until you can’t), and 3) “Walk it on in!” (trademark).

If you follow my steps, you can then unlock the special fourth step (and the best part): 4) have a banana, some chips with “cheese product,” and go grab an overpriced domestic beer to celebrate!

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Good luck to you! I’m still trying to decide if I should skip the January races. I like the Fab 5 more than Princesses, but the timing in February is better... so many decisions...
Being that’s it the 50th, I prefer the fab 5 that’s why I plan on doing some of the marathon weekend events. I may participate in one or two princess events, but they definitely don’t appeal to me as much especially when they took away the no shirts option. I kinda wanted the marathon weekend shirts anyways, not sure if I wanted to be forced to get that option but I feel better about buying marathon shirts over princess.

EDIT: It’s also 50th anniversary merch so am I also getting the 50th merch (in a way).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom