Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Not really. You are essentially paying way to much for a virtual race, and then getting a guaranteed spot (at full price) at a future physical event.
From Runners World -> https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a33302450/2020-virtual-nyc-marathon/

The NYC marathon historically had a way in if you didn't qualify. I think they changed it a few years ago, I seem to recall that if you entered 5 or 6 lotteries in a row and weren't selected, you got a guaranteed spot. And if you run 9 NYRR qualifying events, and then volunteer at one, you get a guaranteed in as well.

50,000 finishers? Wow. That's huge.

Rteetz

Not really. You are essentially paying way to much for a virtual race, and then getting a guaranteed spot (at full price) at a future physical event.
From Runners World -> https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a33302450/2020-virtual-nyc-marathon/

The NYC marathon historically had a way in if you didn't qualify. I think they changed it a few years ago, I seem to recall that if you entered 5 or 6 lotteries in a row and weren't selected, you got a guaranteed spot. And if you run 9 NYRR qualifying events, and then volunteer at one, you get a guaranteed in as well.
Those 1000 spots went quicker than a runDisney race, it was nuts. With the 2020 race canceled and runners able to get entry into 2021, 2022, or 2023 it will be even harder to get in via lottery. NYC also no longer does the if you enter 5 times and don’t get in you get guaranteed entry. They do still do 9+1.

LAKid53

Premium Member
As I'll never run a marathon, much less qualify for NYC, LA, Chicago, London or Boston, I'm not too worried. Just stunned by the number of runners. Can you imagine 35,000 doing the Full in January?

OG Runner

As I'll never run a marathon, much less qualify for NYC, LA, Chicago, London or Boston, I'm not too worried. Just stunned by the number of runners. Can you imagine 35,000 doing the Full in January?

Never say never! I ran my first marathon when I was 16. I ran my second marathon at Disney in 2014 at 54. (stop doing the math)
It is an experience and an event to run the Disney Marathon. I think it could be done. I just think they would need to do more corrals,
and it wouldn't hurt for a temp check or covid test at bib pick-up.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Never say never! I ran my first marathon when I was 16. I ran my second marathon at Disney in 2014 at 54. (stop doing the math)
It is an experience and an event to run the Disney Marathon. I think it could be done. I just think they would need to do more corrals,
and it wouldn't hurt for a temp check or covid test at bib pick-up.

I really have no interest in running a full.

Surferboy567

You know, I get the achievement of running the Full must be incredible and all that. I just can’t fathom how miserable I would feel doing, as well as the pain that comes after. Then to be expected to have a vacation after...I dunno seems like it would compromise alot of things.

This is actually one of the main reasons I want to race Star Wars. I can do the big challenge without putting myself though that.

This is also coming from someone who hasn’t run a 10K much less a half marathon...yet. My training starts soon.

OG Runner

You definitely do need a certain amount of commitment to run the full. I have also been part of and seen the group of runners, coming back to the resorts described at the "walk of the living dead". Still I have completed the Disney full 3 times. Each time I go down on the Thursday before the marathon, which is on Sunday. My sons have come with me and have run two of them with me. We enjoy the parks on Friday and Saturday. Have a celebratory dinner after the Marathon on Sunday night. (Tempan Edo or Le Celleliar) Then the beginning of the week in the parks before leaving on Wednesday. You can enjoy both your vacation and the marathon experience.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You know, I get the achievement of running the Full must be incredible and all that. I just can’t fathom how miserable I would feel doing, as well as the pain that comes after. Then to be expected to have a vacation after...I dunno seems like it would compromise alot of things.

This is actually one of the main reasons I want to race Star Wars. I can do the big challenge without putting myself though that.

This is also coming from someone who hasn’t run a 10K much less a half marathon...yet. My training starts soon.

I want to die...as do my feet...after finishing all three races on Sunday. That's 22.4 miles spread over 3 days. Can't begin to imagine how my feet would feel after 26.2 miles in one day. Ouch.

Greenlawler

You definitely do need a certain amount of commitment to run the full. I have also been part of and seen the group of runners, coming back to the resorts described at the "walk of the living dead". Still I have completed the Disney full 3 times. Each time I go down on the Thursday before the marathon, which is on Sunday. My sons have come with me and have run two of them with me. We enjoy the parks on Friday and Saturday. Have a celebratory dinner after the Marathon on Sunday night. (Tempan Edo or Le Celleliar) Then the beginning of the week in the parks before leaving on Wednesday. You can enjoy both your vacation and the marathon experience.

The first year I ran the full I was so thankful for my kid's stroller. I used it as a "walker".

But aside from the obligatory (birth of kids, wedding day), it was the best feeling I have ever had crossing that finish line. It was a high like no other. This will be 14 for me and every time I finish It's not exactly the high I had the first time, but it's pretty darn close.

As far as staying....

We have traditionally done either Wednesday to Wednesday, or Wednesday to Tuesday.

Epcot is a must on Sunday, and actually Monday too. It's a celebration around the world.

If we can play in the parks on Tuesday, it's usually a ghost town and maybe one of the emptiest days of the year at WDW.

OG Runner

I agree with Greenlawler. The feeling is great. When I ran in 2014, I was coming from the Boardwalk area, across a bridge to Epcot. There was a gentleman on the bridge, holding a sign. It said, "There will be a day when you will fail. Today is not that day!" There was about a mile and a quarter to go at that point and I kept a happy feeling from that sign right through to the finishline. Funny thing is I got the photo package for the race that year, and though I felt great inside, the photo of me coming across the bridge from England to France looked like death warmed over. :D

LAKid53

Premium Member
The first year I ran the full I was so thankful for my kid's stroller. I used it as a "walker".

But aside from the obligatory (birth of kids, wedding day), it was the best feeling I have ever had crossing that finish line. It was a high like no other. This will be 14 for me and every time I finish It's not exactly the high I had the first time, but it's pretty darn close.

As far as staying....

We have traditionally done either Wednesday to Wednesday, or Wednesday to Tuesday.

Epcot is a must on Sunday, and actually Monday too. It's a celebration around the world.

If we can play in the parks on Tuesday, it's usually a ghost town and maybe one of the emptiest days of the year at WDW.

I do Wednesday to Wednesday. Depending on the race weekend - Marathon, Princess, SW, W&D, I'm either in MK or Epcot on Sundays.

LAKid53

Premium Member

As far as staying....

Explains why you're at the top of the leader board. 🙂

Texas84

I ran two WDW marathons before running three Dopeys and I think only running marathon was a mistake. Should have just done Dopeys. By Dopey day 4 I was used to the early mornings and the legs were ready. If you're training properly the 5K and 10K are a walk in the park. I then used the half for preparation. Pace, hydration, etc.

Rteetz

I jumped right in with my first full and first Dopey in 2017. I have been Dopey since. I really don't ever not want to do Dopey. There isn't anything like it in my eyes. I feel like I enjoy it more every year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom