Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Anyone see runDisney’s new blog post making reference to training. Maybe they expect marathon to go forward?

With Very Merry cancelled...I don’t know.

I'm not going to interpret that story in that way. Just below it are several other articles on training, including one about running with your dog.

Rteetz

Based on timelines for last year we should have already had the medal announcement and seen postings for volentEARS and medical staff for the Marathon Weekend races, I know they REALLY limited registration for Dopey this year but I wondered if any of our insiders had heard any race go/no go rumblings.

This thread has NOTHING to do with the fact that if it’s cancelled, I can stop training and rewatch Gravity Falls on Disney+ instead.
They limited registration for everything. I have heard somewhere around 30% of bibs were sold compared to the normal amount. Same was done for Princess Weekend.

rD has the advantage of being able to control the courses. Other races don't have that advantage. The biggest hurdles are how to they safely and efficiently get people through the start and finish. Plus nutrition, you can't hold a marathon without aid.

Advent Health is in charge of medical aid and I have heard they are prepared to have enough staff. Another issue is volunteers. How do you handle volunteers?

rD staff was still mainly on furlough last I heard. I am not sure if they started bringing them back to handle the wine and dine cancellation.

Magic Feather

My contact who handles communications and GR for the runs has said they sold about 25% of the normal amount and as of a few weeks ago they hadn’t heard what will happen in January, will all depend on safety and the virus
Bingo. Jan is too far out (they were forced into an earlier-than-they-would-have-liked call on Wine and Dine. Logistics are being worked through to see if they could accommodate it.

GimpYancIent

Bingo. Jan is too far out (they were forced into an earlier-than-they-would-have-liked call on Wine and Dine. Logistics are being worked through to see if they could accommodate it.
WDW is the closest thing to a "bubble" environment anywhere for an open air road running event. With the protocols already in place and some commons sense modifications specific to the races absolutely rD can make it happen. I am an optimist and have full trust and confidence that rD can pull it off.

the.dreamfinder

WDW is the closest thing to a "bubble" environment anywhere for an open air road running event. With the protocols already in place and some commons sense modifications specific to the races absolutely rD can make it happen. I am an optimist and have full trust and confidence that rD can pull it off.
Except that there are lots of crowding points before, during and after the race. There’s no sun when most of these events start and they pack us close together in the corals.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I'm not going to interpret that story in that way. Just below it are several other articles on training, including one about running with your dog.
I’m with you, I wouldn’t take this as a sign of anything. After all, this is the same outfit that sends out tweets and posts promoting registration for the virtual and on-site races months after they are sold out!

bcoachable

My sweet wife and I decided back when Covid started that we would begin training for our first ever marathon (we are not normally runners). We have been serious & diligent as evident by our Hoka purchases! We were inspired after cheering on some friends from last years event. Really hoping it happens this year, cause I don’t think I could handle another year of running!!! Supposed to do a realllly long run tomorrow, so rD- if your going to pull the plug let me know real quick!
*edit- rD did not call us last night... so off we went at 5:00 am. #15 miles! If this rD event doesn’t happen, I know it’s not the end of the world but man am I gonna hold a grudge! ;)

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Except that there are lots of crowding points before, during and after the race. There’s no sun when most of these events start and they pack us close together in the corals.
Fair enough there are some places crowding can occur. For instance the corrals unless the participants choose to spread out (give each other some elbow room) keep their masks on until they cross the start line besides the field is not projected to be anywhere the normal size. So there will be room to move, hey!, the smaller the field the more exclusive the race. At the end remember to mask when you cross the finish line, keep moving through the post race amenities (no milling) then board your transport to wherever you want to go. People can make it difficult and aggravating or people can make it simple, fun and a positive experience. Being outdoors is important the sun comes out as the runs progress and I see it as a nice bonus.

Figment82

After years of reading these forums I just now discovered the running one! 🤦🏼‍♀️ Excited!!! Anyway, to answer your questions
- I use a Nathan vest and love it. I am in Alabama so pretty hot and humid here too. I actually prefer it to my handheld Nathan, which I also love, bc it doesn’t slip in my hands when I get sweaty
- per my sports nutritionist the best powder to mix in water is Skratch. It’s engineered for endurance athletes and the perfect balance of electrolytes and carbs. I have started using that and supplementing with skratch chews every 20-30 mins. Have stopped hitting the wall and no gut bombs!
- the vest doesn’t bother me and I expected it would. I did have to play around with the straps to get the right fit. They make one for women that is made to fit different body types.

Love running so happy to answer more questions!
Welcome to the running section, and thank you so much for your post! I will definitely look into Nathan vests, and the Skratch powder sounds interesting! That’s one brand I haven’t heard of, so I will check them out.

bcoachable

I was lucky enough to help with the Telluride 100 mountain bike race this summer. It was Significant in that it was the first major MTB race Hosted since this virus stuff began. Organizers were heralded for their efforts- including all volunteers masked up, temp checks For racers, full refunds for anyone not feeling well, sending racers off in small groups, and spacing groups out every thirty seconds... race went off without a hitch. It was fun to have some Semblance of normalcy. Racers were uber appreciative of the opportunity to race AND for the safety precautions. I’m guessing about 100 participants. Obviously rD events are larger scale, but It can be done...

GymLeaderPhil

There’s absolutely no way they will hold an in person race in January. You cannot properly space people out before and especially during the race. The marathons only logistically work with people being in close contact and financially I doubt Disney would recoup the money needed to both staff as well as modify it.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Welcome to the running section, and thank you so much for your post! I will definitely look into Nathan vests, and the Skratch powder sounds interesting! That’s one brand I haven’t heard of, so I will check them out.
I’ve used camelbacks before, but just used a Salomon vest for an ultra trail run yesterday and thought it was really good. https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/adv-skin-5-set.html#color=20002 I think I got mine for cheaper on backcountry or some other online seller, but it fit well, had every accessory pocket/feature I could think to use (and then some) and is very lightweight. If I had been smart I would have used my new poles too, but will have to wait til the next one to give them a go.

nickys

Premium Member
Based on timelines for last year we should have already had the medal announcement and seen postings for volentEARS and medical staff for the Marathon Weekend races, I know they REALLY limited registration for Dopey this year but I wondered if any of our insiders had heard any race go/no go rumblings.

This thread has NOTHING to do with the fact that if it’s cancelled, I can stop training and rewatch Gravity Falls on Disney+ instead.

From your user name I’d be doubtful you could run even if it is held. You probably won’t be able to get there. Your best bet is to pledge to do it virtually regardless of what they decide.

UKDisDad

From your user name I’d be doubtful you could run even if it is held. You probably won’t be able to get there. Your best bet is to pledge to do it virtually regardless of what they decide.

Yep that is also an issue, having to quarantine for 14 days on arrival then 14 days when I get home is not the best thing for my work!

surfsupdon

The parks currently look more jammed than any on course rD race I have competed in. :)
The corrals can be increased in number with less people per corral bc there ARE less people. Wear masks at the start.
Road and trail races ARE happening again, and rD can get their Jan races going.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom