Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I definitely agree with you @surfsupdon. Though I think we might see a bit less of “destination racing” in general. I’m not thinking of RunDisney per se in my statement, but rather people staying a bit more local for most of their racing for the next couple of years.

We have a marathon weekend coming up mid May, and although it hasn’t yet been canceled, I am seeing more and more signs that put it in jeopardy - or at least some aspects of it. For example, I don’t see how they will be able to hold the elite invitation portion of the marathon, as most of those competitors come from countries requiring a visa, and I‘ve been reading that these are currently suspended.

Rose&Crown

I get what you’re saying but I can also see society being very on edge for the next few months and avoiding things like this. I can see this years races cancelled, along with all sporting leagues taking the year off.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
As TWDC announced both Disneyland and WDW will be closed until further notice, no one knows if on-site rD races will happen this year.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
No such thing. They hire an outside race director. But those people will be hurting. Races everywhere getting cancelled or postponed.

Also, the majority of the staff are volunteers that are paid through free passes (from what I understand, a park ticket every 16 points, 1 point per hour volunteered). I played golf with one the morning after the Wine & Dine Half last year. It seems most are local, have flexible schedules (lots of retirees), and enjoy being a part of the event while accumulating a few tickets they can use for family or friends when they are in town. Apparently they also have higher demand of people wanting to volunteer than spots (using multiple browsers to try to get registered, etc. like we do), so I don’t think staffing will be a problem from a race perspective. It will be more of an issue of when Disney can hold a race without looking irresponsible for having that many people together and when enough medical volunteers and staff are able to be diverted to something like this.

dreamfinder

If they cancel rD races, schools would be cancelled too. Sport programs like Little League too. You can't argue that being crammed in a school or in a classroom is safe but being in a corral is not. Got to get out of the ‘living in a bubble’ mentality.

Around here, they are. Schools are closed at least until May 4th I believe, and all our local youth sport programs are closed.

Not sure if I made or broke your argument. Not even sure what your arugment was. ; )

surfsupdon

Around here, they are. Schools are closed at least until May 4th I believe, and all our local youth sport programs are closed.

Not sure if I made or broke your argument. Not even sure what your arugment was. ; )
Right. But we are temporarily in this situation. Schools are not closed forever.

I was suggesting that when schools reopen, races should be back to normal as well:)

Lilofan

No such thing. They hire an outside race director. But those people will be hurting. Races everywhere getting cancelled or postponed.
That's incorrect. Run Disney employs cast members that are managers and support cast that roles are Run Disney year round. The race director is from the outside and composed of (1) person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom