Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

surfsupdon

The weekend was great. I love running when it’s warm so I was pumped!!

I ran a marathon and had my personal best time by 29 minutes, sub 4 hours even!!

It was quite the emotional experience. I was happy, overwhelmed, thrilled. Main Street made me teary eyed. I craved pizza at mile 18 but then wanted to give up at mile 21. Then I wanted scrambled eggs so bad when I entered MGM, but I ended up eating like 5 Dove chocolates. I got my 2nd wind and cruised to the finish.

Figment82

Congrats everyone! It sounds like a good time was had by all! I had a small medical scare before the start of the Half so I took it easy at the beginning, but everything worked out and I was able to finish strong. My family was waiting for me at mile 12 and seeing my little girl’s smile gave me that much-needed burst of energy. 😊

That bottleneck as you leave MK around 6.2 to when you pass the Grand around 7 gets me every year - hate it! But the rest of the course was great and I especially loved the newly paved World Drive.

Now I have two weeks to recover and get back in gear before the Celebration Half. If anyone will be in the area on the 27th, it’s a fantastic event and still has spots available!

FerretAfros

I finished Dopey #6. Yesterday's heat made the marathon especially tough for me. I knew it was going to be rough due to my lack of long runs, but this put it on another level. I ended up getting sick around mile 21 from over-hydrating, but once that passed I felt a lot better, and was able to finish relatively strong. While it wasn't an especially enjoyable experience, I still managed to keep a decent pace, and I'm glad I was able to knock it out.

I had a lot of fun getting to spend time with family and friends, and engage in all sorts of shenanigans throughout the weekend. One of the biggest highlights was getting interviewed on the jumbotron in my Uncle Orville (from Carousel of Progress) costume. He's a pretty obscure character, but it was a lot of fun to see the reactions from other runners along the route! It was obviously a little cold that day for a shirtless costume, but once I got moving it really wasn't bad, and it was so ridiculous that it was totally worth it
49697055_1963130227134911_4402697131756879872_n.jpg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The weekend was great. I love running when it’s warm so I was pumped!!

I ran a marathon and had my personal best time by 29 minutes, sub 4 hours even!!

It was quite the emotional experience. I was happy, overwhelmed, thrilled. Main Street made me teary eyed. I craved pizza at mile 18 but then wanted to give up at mile 21. Then I wanted scrambled eggs so bad when I entered MGM, but I ended up eating like 5 Dove chocolates. I got my 2nd wind and cruised to the finish.

I did donuts

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I finished Dopey #6. Yesterday's heat made the marathon especially tough for me. I knew it was going to be rough due to my lack of long runs, but this put it on another level. I ended up getting sick around mile 21 from over-hydrating, but once that passed I felt a lot better, and was able to finish relatively strong. While it wasn't an especially enjoyable experience, I still managed to keep a decent pace, and I'm glad I was able to knock it out.

I had a lot of fun getting to spend time with family and friends, and engage in all sorts of shenanigans throughout the weekend. One of the biggest highlights was getting interviewed on the jumbotron in my Uncle Orville (from Carousel of Progress) costume. He's a pretty obscure character, but it was a lot of fun to see the reactions from other runners along the route! It was obviously a little cold that day for a shirtless costume, but once I got moving it really wasn't bad, and it was so ridiculous that it was totally worth it
View attachment 340977

That was you? I thought "This guy's nuts, it's bloody cold!"

Figment82

View attachment 340977

That costume is amazing - well done!! 😊

Greenlawler

View attachment 340977

I saw you.....lol. Who knew that was our old friend?

If anyone hears John Pelky yell out to the Tennessee Titans fan, that's me. He and I always speak at the races. Even Carissa gave me a shout out this race as "The Tennessee Titans" fan.

I finished Disney Marathon #12, Goofy #11, and Dopey #6.

The marathon was the toughest run since my first. The humidity, my weight, and age combined for a "fun time". But I finished.

Started cramping around mile 17, had to stop every five minutes to stretch. Pretty much walked large parts of miles 23-26.

Finished with my second worst time ever.....but hey, on the bright side, should not be hard to top that next year lol.

surfsupdon

If anyone hears John Pelky yell out to the Tennessee Titans fan, that's me. He and I always speak at the races. Even Carissa gave me a shout out this race as "The Tennessee Titans" fan.

I have heard Pelky say this at a few race weekends yes! Now I know who it’s for. Nice on the shout outs too. I always take pride Carissa wishes me luck at race start, in the same grouping of names as Westin her hubby!! Haha. I always make a point to say hi and talk and laugh with her and Rudy and interact on social media.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom