Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

friedriches

I set a reminder... for 12 MST. I am such a dolt. I was excited for our first race- was aiming for 10k, but open to settling for 5k.

Is there any history of them re-opening registration for additional spaces?

dreamfinder

I set a reminder... for 12 MST. I am such a dolt. I was excited for our first race- was aiming for 10k, but open to settling for 5k.

Is there any history of them re-opening registration for additional spaces?

Not as a general rule. The other year they did take some Goofy slots and split them back into their equivalent half/full entries. And a few times people did report bibs randomly popping back up online a month or two before the event. But I wouldn't count on it. If you want to do either the 10k or 5k, your best bet would be to look into one of the travel agents or charity groups. I only see TnT listed right now, but there are typically a bunch that are listed, not sure when they will be added.

In the past I have heard people talk about what percentage sold out a particular race is. Does disney still do this, and if they do, where can I find it?

Not any more. The percentages disappeared a few months ago. At this point if you think you will race, register. I'm constantly checking to see if the events have shifted to "On Hold" or "Sold Out" status and posting here as well as updating my registration tracker accordingly, but that is the best we can do now.

Anyone have advice for a hotel? I just signed up for the Dopey, and I'm not sure where to stay.

Take your pick. For Marathon Weekend all on property resorts are host resorts and will provide transportation.

dreamfinder

As of 2 PM today, the half marathon is sold out.

Dopey Challenge presented by Cigna®
Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge presented by Cigna®
Walt Disney World® Marathon presented by Cigna®
Walt Disney World® Half Marathon presented by Cigna® - Sold Out
Walt Disney World® 10K presented by Cigna® - Sold Out
Walt Disney World® 5K presented by Cigna® - Sold Out
runDisney Kids Races presented by GoGo squeeZ® Applesauce on the Go
Disney Castaway Cay Challenge
Race Retreat Packages
Runner's World VIP

nojosparkles

I remember last year the half marathon sold out in just over an hour. This year it sold out in a little over a day. Are they opening it up to more runners? Or is there fewer interest in this run?

Greenlawler

Yesterday was a nightmare.

As I said before my wife and I were online at 11:00est.

We easily got in the que and registered for my Dopey and my wife got into the 5k and the Half

In years past once you had your spot past the virtual queue you were able register for the races without having to repeat the process,

This year after we got my wife into 5k, the system dumped me out. I tried to log back in but as soon as I did the event went on hold.

I called runDisney and spent one hour on hold, only to speak to someone who had no clue how to help and then I was disconnected when he tried to transfer me to another helper.
All the while hitting refresh on the computer, seeing it "open" a couple of times only to fill before I could hit submit.
Called back and sat on hold for 30 minutes, then I was put through to a "manager" who told me "deal with it", and that it was not their fault.
Called Active who told me I should call runDisney back, this was only after being on hold with them for an hour.
Called runDisney sat on hold for another hour was then was put on hold for another half hour. Spoke to another "manager" who while being very kind had no clue what I was talking about, I probably explained and re-explained for another 30 minutes. All the while I was very kind and gracious. She eventually laughed at me when she realized my wife was "already in" two races and that we should be content. She laughed hard and made me feel really awkward, eventually she realized maybe that was too much and spent the rest of the call apologizing for laughing.

I finally just told the last lady I was giving up, and with that 5 hours of my life vanished.

Today I signed my wife up with a charity.....oh well lesson learned.

dreamfinder

I remember last year the half marathon sold out in just over an hour. This year it sold out in a little over a day. Are they opening it up to more runners? Or is there fewer interest in this run?

Several reasons, biggiest I think being less interest. runDisney is now up to 8 half marathons in the US, 4 each at DLR and WDW. With registration for any of those events costing $180 and up (I think DLR half was $205) it's a hard sell. There used to be more diversity with the events, but they seem to have settled on the half as the cash cow (see the fact it cost as much as the full marathon this year). Admittedly I'm shocked the other WDW events are selling out as fast as they are since the half only has about 7,500 bibs, while the other WDW halfs still have 18-20,000 bibs. And alot of the other running events that were popular a year or two ago, now aren't nearly as popular. Obstacle races aren't popping up left and right, nor are color races. Not sure if it's a shift in running overall, or simply a change in trends.
Logistically they really can't add any more runners and still get the event done on time. Unless they move the start earlier in the morning, it's already hard enough for them to get MK clear in time to open the park.

mickeymatt

I ran the marathon in 2015 and got a pin. Does it come with your registration (like the t-shirt)? Or do I have to order it extra when I registered for Dopey 2017? thanks!

Flippin'Flounder

How bad are the crowds during the weekend? Specifically MK on Friday (after the 10K). Also, how feasible would it be to go back to the hotel after the 10K, change, and get to MK before rope drop?

Greenlawler

How bad are the crowds during the weekend? Specifically MK on Friday (after the 10K). Also, how feasible would it be to go back to the hotel after the 10K, change, and get to MK before rope drop?

That's a difficult question

We have been going marathon weekend for a decade, and from our experience the MK is always going to be more crowded than the other parks, but it will be less crowded on that day than Saturday or Sunday. I don't think you will find it difficult to be there for rope drop if you are making an effort. The crowds at MK on that day will be heaviest from around 11-6, so obviously early and late times will be best. Most Dopey/Goofy runners will avoid getting there too early and staying late. The sheer number of runners who run the half and full compared to the 5 and 10 k's, make a huge difference since loads of runners travel with family. Good plan to do MK on that day and avoid Epcot or MK on half and full days.

Flippin'Flounder

That's a difficult question

We have been going marathon weekend for a decade, and from our experience the MK is always going to be more crowded than the other parks, but it will be less crowded on that day than Saturday or Sunday. I don't think you will find it difficult to be there for rope drop if you are making an effort. The crowds at MK on that day will be heaviest from around 11-6, so obviously early and late times will be best. Most Dopey/Goofy runners will avoid getting there too early and staying late. The sheer number of runners who run the half and full compared to the 5 and 10 k's, make a huge difference since loads of runners travel with family. Good plan to do MK on that day and avoid Epcot or MK on half and full days.

dreamfinder

I ran the marathon in 2015 and got a pin. Does it come with your registration (like the t-shirt)? Or do I have to order it extra when I registered for Dopey 2017? thanks!

Occasionally they throw in random tschotckies as part of your registration. Once or twice I've gotten shoe laces, and several years got buttons in the same vein as the "Happy Birthday" and "I'm Celebrating" buttons. But as far as an actual cloisonne pins (like those sold in the stores for trading) those you have to pay for. I think this year they are up to $14.95 when you register.

Crowds will be a toss up. Usually it is ends up being greatly affected by when NYE falls and when school vacations wrap up. Every day after NYE the crowds go down, with yet another drop after the Marathon.

Hard to say. The 10k should start at 5:30. If they do a wheelchair start, first corral should leave like 3 mins later, and then it's like 5-7 mins between corrals. So corral A, done by 6:15ish, 10 mins through finish area, on bus by 6:30, should be at your hotel by 7-7:15. If MK doesn't open until 9, you could potentially make rope drop. But if you end up in corral E, then you might not even be starting until 6:15. If you are in E, I'd expect you to be taking over an hour to finish, so not done until at least 7:15. Through the corrals/bag check by 7:30ish. Then it's getting much tighter, you may need to wait for a bus to get back, and then you may not even be at your hotel until 8:15. Real tight to shower, and get a bus to MK.

Flippin'Flounder

Occasionally they throw in random tschotckies as part of your registration. Once or twice I've gotten shoe laces, and several years got buttons in the same vein as the "Happy Birthday" and "I'm Celebrating" buttons. But as far as an actual cloisonne pins (like those sold in the stores for trading) those you have to pay for. I think this year they are up to $14.95 when you register.

Crowds will be a toss up. Usually it is ends up being greatly affected by when NYE falls and when school vacations wrap up. Every day after NYE the crowds go down, with yet another drop after the Marathon.

Hard to say. The 10k should start at 5:30. If they do a wheelchair start, first corral should leave like 3 mins later, and then it's like 5-7 mins between corrals. So corral A, done by 6:15ish, 10 mins through finish area, on bus by 6:30, should be at your hotel by 7-7:15. If MK doesn't open until 9, you could potentially make rope drop. But if you end up in corral E, then you might not even be starting until 6:15. If you are in E, I'd expect you to be taking over an hour to finish, so not done until at least 7:15. Through the corrals/bag check by 7:30ish. Then it's getting much tighter, you may need to wait for a bus to get back, and then you may not even be at your hotel until 8:15. Real tight to shower, and get a bus to MK.
Thank you. Hopefully we won't be in E then.

mickeymatt

Thanks! I must have paid for it then, I couldn't remember!

Kermit262

As a test I just tried signing up for the Dopey and it's available. Rather shocking.

Dreamfinder mentioned a few posts back that interest may be waning in some of the events because of cost, and I think that could be correct. I just completed the Flying Pig 4-way challenge in Cincinnati, which consisted of a 1 miler, 5K, 10K, and Marathon over three days. All finishers received 5 medals, a display plaque (!), 5 technical shirts, a duffle bag, and event poster. Total cost for the challenge: $150.00.

I'll always look back at the 2015 Dopey as one of my greatest physical accomplishments, but this challenge was no slouch. Cincinnati is very hilly and all of the races (except the 1 mile) bore that out.

Disney elevation:
ucbt3Hz.png

Flying Pig elevation:
MCp9anh.png

I think as more challenges become available, runDisney could feel the increased competition. But then again, they could be like Apple, in that prices for their products rarely need to be dropped partly because they have such a loyal fan base. It's one of the reasons I've done WDW marathon weekend for the past two years. :) It was an eye opener though, to pay so little for the Flying Pig challenge and get so much in return.

wdwjmp239

Hello fellow WDW Marathon runners (or those thinking about running or spectators)!

Last year time (and of course, money) ran away from me and I had to forego the WDW Marathon, but I'm currently using the Jeff Galloway training method (run so many minutes....walk so many minutes) to train for this year and it's working wonders for me. I started my WDW Marathon training early this year to get my body used to running long distances. There's something about when you get past the 3 mile mark that feels so exhilarating! Jeff Galloway's training method helped me set a couple of PRs in some 5Ks I participated in locally. I love the run/walk training method and highly recommend his training method to anyone thinking about running!

I've been reading about the "balloon ladies" (pacers) and the "bicycle riders" (official pacers?) and from what I understand that if you fall behind the balloon ladies, you're in danger of getting swept off the course. Now, where I get foggy is where do the bicycle riders (official pacers?) come in? Do you have to keep a pace ahead of them? That would be pretty challenging to do for a new runner (namely me) to stay ahead of a guy on a bike. I'm hoping those who ran the marathon last year could shed some light on the bicycle folks. Thank you! :)

Anyways, today is an off-day for me as I'm participating in a local July 4th 5K tomorrow - hoping to beat my last 5K time of 32 minutes. And if I don't....I did 5K more than the guy that's home just getting out of bed at 7am. :)

Happy training! January is fast approaching! :)

Simba's Mom

DH has sworn by Jeff Galloway's training recommendations for years, starting back in the 80s, when they were both running a lot. Jeff Galloway's training recommendations got DH through the Dopey Challenge last year and will hopefully get him through the half-marathon this year. There's just one thing DH says that Galloway didn't prepare him for last year-getting up SO early 4 days in a row!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom