Walt Disney World expansion in 2006/2007 ?

AndyMagic

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
Putting rides on a bridge wouldn't be a good idea. That's going to be a massive amount of weight, plus foot traffic.
That's what I was thinking. I also like the idea of moving the parking lot over there and having a tram of some sort. It works for Magic Kingdom... why not MGM. Also, they could always just build a parking structure in the current parking lot to free up space for expansion. They did this at Universal Orlando and had enough room to build Islands of Adventure.

TURKEY

Originally posted by AndyMagic
That's what I was thinking. I also like the idea of moving the parking lot over there and having a tram of some sort. It works for Magic Kingdom... why not MGM. Also, they could always just build a parking structure in the current parking lot to free up space for expansion. They did this at Universal Orlando and had enough room to build Islands of Adventure.

People might complain about having a parking deck at Disney. That's so common and un-Disney like.

ToTBellHop

People might complain about having a parking deck at Disney. That's so common and un-Disney like.

It works for Disneyland...but it's not really necessary, here...they have all the room in the world.

josh_e_washie

What is the possiblilty of closing down the hiway that they want to build on the other side of, and then put it underground? That way you will have the land that the hiway took up as well as the land on the other side. Can I see a map of this area so we all know what we are talking about?

josh_e_washie

BTW,
What is the big deal with expanding the monorails? Aren't they cleaner and more efficient than hundreds upon hundreds of buses? Just a thought!:animwink:

dox

BTW you can't build underground in florida. If you did you would hit water or limestone, which you can't build on top of. That's why the Utilidors are the first floor of MK not the basement. When you enter MK you actually go up a slope.

CSOM

Does anyone have a good image of the area in question? Where is relation to the park is World Drive, and where would you "leave" the park?

Putting rides on a bridge wouldn't be a good idea. That's going to be a massive amount of weight, plus foot traffic.

I'm not so sure. They can build bridges that can carry massive jetliners (see O'hare airport in Chicago for an example). They can build bridges that can have water on them, so boats can cross (at WDW).

Whether or not it's economically feasible is a totally different question. (It isn't).

It would make MUCH more sense to put the parking lot on the other side and make a nice small-ish bridge for the trams - ideally with plantings and the like on it to mask the road. Also, it'd keep MGM as a place that doesn't tire your feet like Epcot...

goofyfan13

Originally posted by josh_e_washie
BTW,
What is the big deal with expanding the monorails? Aren't they cleaner and more efficient than hundreds upon hundreds of buses? Just a thought!:animwink:

not really, because with how much it costs for one mile of monorail track and a train alone is a crap load of money, and yes they may be more environmentally clean than some of the busses but the busses are working pretty good for them right now. I would love more monorail but it just is more economically pheasable to buy busses. Tyler could give you the 411 on this and correct me if I am incorrect on anything.:)

DonickCo

MGM and world drive

Steve....:mad: ...whay cant i attach a image....:animwink:

i dont like that..i have to do this but here is a link

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=1506&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

showphoto.php

-DonickCo

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by josh_e_washie
BTW,

Just as an FYI, Monorails run anywhere from about 25 million to 68 million dollars per mile. The latter price is for the new system installed in Las Vegas which is of the same type as Disney World.

When you consider that each bus averages about $250,000 to $300,000 to purchase, you could replace every bus in Disney's fleet for the cost of 1 mile of a monorail system. Then if you figure in the distances that would have to be served to connect the remaining pieces of the world, you could most like buy a new fleet of busses every year for the next 25 or 30 years.

Also, keep in mind that while monorails don't directly spew exhaust into air, somewhere there is a power plant doing jsut that on their behalf.

Invero

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
Just as an FYI, Monorails run anywhere from about 25 million to 68 million dollars per mile. The latter price is for the new system installed in Las Vegas which is of the same type as Disney World.

Actually, according to data from the Monorail society, it's more along the lines of $98m-102m per mile... quite a hefty price tag.

Hank Scorpio

Back to the original post...

I'm not sure I like this idea. Expanding it over a highway?? I think there is plenty of land to build either side of the studios if you look at those ariel photos.

I would love to see it expand though, not sure if going over a highway is the right way to do it! :lookaroun

BalooChicago

That depends on your concept of a bridge. In your mind the weight (loading) of the structures above the bridge (rides, etc) would bear on the structure of the bridge itself, however, "bridges" like this are in fact not at all uncommon, with the structure of the ride (Columns) extending through the "bridge" and dead loading directly to their own foundations. Transfer beams and grade beams could be used to offset the location of the column if it is problematic to the roadway below. Here in Chicago we not only have bridges for 747s, but an entire 24 acre park that is elevated over two parking garages and a two city block wide bridge (Millennium Park, which I have worked on, I'm an Architect BTW) and much of the park has~4' of soil depth (24 Acre x 4' of soil = a TON of weight). Also within the downtown area we have entire sections that have rail lines under them, essentially bridged over in a way that 99% of the public never contemplates that they are not on terra firma.

Practical? Maybe not. Possible? Most definitely.

Favrefire4

Well here is my two cents. With obviously some sort of Everst attaction coming and something happening at Epcot this is proably getting pushed off the board for right now. While it might seem good you have to think about the bigger picture. Right now Disney does not have the moeny for us and if the economy continues like this they won't in 3 or 4 years either. I see maybe one or two rides coming to MGM but a not a whole expansion. The only way I could see an expansion would be if Universal decided to add another park or do something drstic to take vistors away from Disney. As for the walkway, there are alternatives to that. Such as a tram which has been said. But what about an overhead type thing. It wouldn't be a monorail but more like cable cars that you see in the alps or at the top of the ski hills. Just another idea to toss out there. Thanks in advance.....

Shaman

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
truth or not I dont know but here is an interesting way of looking at use for the land across the drive - Parking lot - then you tram everyone to the new entrance via a bridge over world drive - the old parking lot would then become additional park area and thus eliminate the problem of having the park split intto two halves and the logistical nightmares that would create

THANKYOU!!!!! I mean I got through all the post until I got to this one....all I was thinking is why not use the space for parking and use the old parking lot to expand...sounds better to me. Anyways this rumor makes no sense I don't see what else they'll want to put at the Studios when they have so many old attractions and empty buildings(or near empty, if you know what I mean) expansion seems unlikely. But yes if there are plans I think they would use the land for parking and the old parking lot for expansion. Just a thought. :lookaroun

Michael72688

Originally posted by imagineersrock
why would you say that?? i mean, look at the place; it is obvious that there needs to be drastic change -now wether its called project gemini or project squiggledish is beyond me, but i can almost guarantee SOMETHING will be happening to epcot

It needs it sooo bad!

Jusjuice

It looks to me like it would be SO much cheaper for the park just to expand in the other directions. From the aerial photos, the biggest barrier appears to be World Drive.
Why not place new stuff around the park? The Hunchback Show is now empty. The ABC theater sits empty. I've even heard that Millionaire will close within the next 2 years. (from a Cast Member though.) Also, I heard the Indy ride from disneyland will be built out into the parking lot behind the stunt show.
I just dont see why they would expand over that road if theres more room in the other directions. Plus, as cheap as disney seems to be lately, I don't see them undertaking this kind of project, instead of simply replacing something else that exists. ex: the hunchback show

wdw100

Well.... I have an idea....

Well.... I have an idea....

1. Move all the movie sets...(The Golden Girl's House…other sets.) over to the other side of World Drive.

2. Build an underground tunnel under World Drive.

3. Take the now empty space and build new attractions and shows.

4. Build an underground walkway.... to this area from The New York Back lot or another place.... this way the tram tour is not disrupted by guests.... The walking distance would be short....

The New Back lot tour would go like this....

Leave from the original loading area...tour Creative Costuming...then down the road through the tunnel to the movie sets.... back through the tunnel into Catastrophe Canyon and back into the original loading area.

Any thoughts???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom