"Walt" Disney World/Disney Land

TheDisneyMagic

Original Poster
Hi just a quick question, why is the theme parks in Florida known as "Walt Disney World" but the California and Paris parks don't have the "Walt" bit at the front? I always assumed it was like a tribute to his life because he dies before the opening, or could it be something to do with Roy Disey aswell?

Thanks

WDW Cast Member

The story that I have heard, and they tell you when you are hired is that Roy declared Disney World "Walt Disney World" as a tribute to his brother that started the construction, but wasn't alive to see its completion.

Wilt Dasney

yep...my understanding is that Walt had planned on calling the Florida project "Disney World," but his brother re-christened it after his death.

Montu

Originally posted by jddjcfc
Hi just a quick question, why is the theme parks in Florida known as "Walt Disney World" but the California and Paris parks don't have the "Walt" bit at the front? I always assumed it was like a tribute to his life because he dies before the opening, or could it be something to do with Roy Disey aswell?

Thanks

You know there's two parks at a resort in Tokyo too, right?

If you want specifics, it's "Disneyland" not "Disney Land," for one. As someone else mentioned, although they didn't seem sure of themselves - in planning, the Florida resort was to be named "Disney World" as per Walt. The Florida project was his grandest dream, but he passed before it's completion and never saw it. In honor of the man who is to thank for it all, his brother Roy did infact rename and rededicate the resort "Walt Disney World" in honor of his late brother. It's not just "something they tell you in training," it's historical fact.

And to clarify, the Magic Kingdom park is NOT called "Disney World" or "Walt Disney World." Walt Disney World is the resort, Magic Kingdom is the park with the castle. They are NOT the same thing. Gah it drives me crazy when you ask a tourist, "What'd you do today?" ... "Oh, today we went to Epcot. And tomorrow we're going to Disney!"

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
i have no clue how you read most of what you posted in the original question, but ok...

WDW Cast Member

Re: Re: "Walt" Disney World/Disney Land

Originally posted by Montu
You know there's two parks at a resort in Tokyo too, right?

If you want specifics, it's "Disneyland" not "Disney Land," for one. As someone else mentioned, although they didn't seem sure of themselves - in planning, the Florida resort was to be named "Disney World" as per Walt. The Florida project was his grandest dream, but he passed before it's completion and never saw it. In honor of the man who is to thank for it all, his brother Roy did infact rename and rededicate the resort "Walt Disney World" in honor of his late brother. It's not just "something they tell you in training," it's historical fact.

And to clarify, the Magic Kingdom park is NOT called "Disney World" or "Walt Disney World." Walt Disney World is the resort, Magic Kingdom is the park with the castle. They are NOT the same thing. Gah it drives me crazy when you ask a tourist, "What'd you do today?" ... "Oh, today we went to Epcot. And tomorrow we're going to Disney!"

I didnt mean to imply that it might possibly be a legend, i was just stating where i got the information.

MCO Dreamin

According to what I have read, Roy Disney after Walts death changed the name from Disney World to Walt Disney World and when he was asked about it he replied that everyone knows what a Ford is but not everyone knows that Henry Ford started the company.

imagineer99

Re: Re: "Walt" Disney World/Disney Land

Originally posted by Montu

Considering, this is a WDW fansite, I'm pretty sure most of us recognize such a distinction:D (i'm sure jddjcfc knows that as well).

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by mkt
i have no clue how you read most of what you posted in the original question, but ok...

I hear ya, MKT! I can understand using lowercase letters and other chat-approved shortcuts, but I can't stand awful spelling and grammar. It makes it hard to even understand what they're saying!

anyway I seen they was naming disneyworld after walt becoz he dies before it got made.

TheDisneyMagic

Original Poster
sorry about the spelling mistakes I was typing whilst I had some friends over so I wasn't really taking my time, once again I am sorry.

But getting back to my question, yer thats what I thought that because of Walt's Death they changed the name as a tribute, I didn't know it was Roy who changed it though.

Thanks for the replies

P.S: I will pay more attention whilst typing in future.

mickeyfanatics

If you think back to 1966, there was only 1 park and 1 hotel at Disneyland in California. DIsneyland is the name of the park (at the Disneyland Resort). Disney World, as Walt coined it, was going to encompass all the dreams he and his staff could imagine. Unfortunately, he died 6 months before they even started moving the land around. Roy declared it would be named "Walt Disney World" in honor of his brother so that everyone would know it was his dream. And yes, the Ford thing is true too.

BTW - Disneyland in Paris was first called EuroDisneyland and is now called Disneyland Resort Paris. Tokyo is called Toyko Disneyland at the Tokyo Disneyland Resort.

Montu

Originally posted by mickeyfanatics
BTW - Disneyland in Paris was first called EuroDisneyland and is now called Disneyland Resort Paris. Tokyo is called Toyko Disneyland at the Tokyo Disneyland Resort.

The theme park is in fact called Tokyo Disneyland, but the resort's name is the Tokyo Disney Resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom