Walt Disney World Christmas Parade Taping

raven

Is Shanghai a big Christian area of China? I would think that there wouldn't be a Christmas Parade there. Some form of Holiday parade perhaps because so many religions of the world "coincidentally" fall around that same time of year. Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink!

I'm not talking about filming at Shanghai. This special has always been a 2 hour commercial for everything new and what's coming. Their focus will be on Shanghai.

Goofyernmost

I'm not talking about filming at Shanghai. This special has always been a 2 hour commercial for everything new and what's coming. Their focus will be on Shanghai.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. However, I don't see that any of the domestic parks would benefit from promoting Shanghai. Everyone that goes there is not going to a local park and I don't think that China is really looking for a lot of tourists from other lands at this point.

21stamps

I don't see that happening. What would the reason be to promote Shanghai more than the parks here?

dreamfinder

I don't see that happening. What would the reason be to promote Shanghai more than the parks here?

Synergy and bottom line baby. The same reason why the Disney Parks parade has had bits about Aulani and the cruise line. It doesn't directly benefit WDW or DLR, but helps the company's bottom line as a whole. "Look at all the neat new Disney stuff we opened this year! Just ignore that 95% of it is in Shanghai." Bits welcoming the newest Disney Park to the family, that type of thing. Sure, they will show a segment on FEA and probably a clip on the GoTG ToT redo in DCA, but I'd expect to see decent bit on Shanghai as well. Maybe not the primary focus, but definitely more than one would expect to see in the future for a theme park halfway around the world. Don't forget, there are alot of expats/immigrants/whatevers in the US who go back regularly (I know for a fact several of my Asian co-workers spend like 3 weeks a year back in their homeland) so impressing on them the new park launch is helpful as well.

21stamps

Well, they made cut backs in the US Disney parks to send more money to build Shanghai. Why not?
Synergy and bottom line baby. The same reason why the Disney Parks parade has had bits about Aulani and the cruise line. It doesn't directly benefit WDW or DLR, but helps the company's bottom line as a whole. "Look at all the neat new Disney stuff we opened this year! Just ignore that 95% of it is in Shanghai." Bits welcoming the newest Disney Park to the family, that type of thing. Sure, they will show a segment on FEA and probably a clip on the GoTG ToT redo in DCA, but I'd expect to see decent bit on Shanghai as well. Maybe not the primary focus, but definitely more than one would expect to see in the future for a theme park halfway around the world. Don't forget, there are alot of expats/immigrants/whatevers in the US who go back regularly (I know for a fact several of my Asian co-workers spend like 3 weeks a year back in their homeland) so impressing on them the new park launch is helpful as well.
Oh I'm sure there will be a few highlights, just can't imagine that a Christmas show will be focused on a park in Asia.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm glad that they've moved the parade filming to another park other than WDW MK. We've been there a couple of years during that time period and it impacts guests ability to move anywhere near or through the hub. Not ticketing the audiences for the performances will also reduce the amount of crowd control that's required to segregate the crowd.

brb1006

I really, really miss the kinetic energy of the LIVE parades they used to do. It was so much less like an infomercial and clearly fun. (They started pre-taping them in the mid-1990s.) I just wish they could do that again.
I really miss the type of finales the Christmas Parade showings used to be. One year a choir came up on the stage and sang "Joy The World" and suddenly the hosts and various Disney characters show up and start dancing to the music. Another year had the guests singing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" then it would show guests at Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disneyland singing the same sing in there native language. I think these occurred back in 2004,2005, and 2006.

brb1006

That's mostly why I hate the new infomercial format of the parade. They can still highlight other places, as they always did even for cutaways during the live parade, but it was much more kinetic and fun, and felt more real. It was the "Walt Disney World Very Merry Christmas Parade," not the "Disney Parks Christmas Parade," which feels less like a parade than a pre-recorded mishmash infomercial. The live one just felt more real, and actually had people singing on floats (a.k.a., in the parade, as opposed to on a castle stage that would be inconsistent with a parade going by). They can do it with the Macy's Parade, where they don't own the whole neighborhood in New York -- there is no reason why they can't do it at Walt Disney World, where they do -- even with a few pre-recorded cutaways. You could even pre-record the previous day's version in case of rain or satellite failure. But live was much more fun and real.
Yeah the actual performances felt more alive and guests were really into it.

prberk

Well, it looks like it may not even air on Christmas morning. That in itself is a big change. So much for even calling it a parade. It is not only an infomercial, but now a series of infomercials throughout November and December.

And don't say that they cannot do a live parade. Ask NBC and Macy's about that. RIP a nice Christmas day backdrop, even though it had starting dying a slow death (into infomercial world) all along anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom