News Walt Disney World Christmas holidays 2022

wdwfan22

Good lord, that song is dreadful, imo. Wouldn’t necessarily hate Frozen being there if it were good. Obviously, Bobby & Kristin Anderson-Lopez were busy. Apologies to @MisterPenguin and others who love it.
I agree I hate that song as well. I had so much hope for a great holiday light show and then they slap frozen in there. Could have used music from The Lights of Winter and it would have been more grand.

aladdin2007

I agree I hate that song as well. I had so much hope for a great holiday light show and then they slap frozen in there. Could have used music from The Lights of Winter and it would have been more grand.
I think the park has an identity crisis more than ever, they are just using it as The park now to slap things like this all over no matter where or what for.

Rambozo

The Magic is unfortunately gone for me. I tried one last time, the Holiday seasons are just too unbearable crowd wise for me. I've put up with crowds for decades, but it's gotten too high for me. I'm not used to being around so many people and the lines are always very... very bad.

I've got to go back to picking my spots.

Rambozo

Early November used to be awesome. But now there's just one week a year where it's bearable (early september, after labor day). I'll put up with the unGodly heat before the unGodly crowds.

ToTBellHop

The Magic is unfortunately gone for me. I tried one last time, the Holiday seasons are just too unbearable crowd wise for me. I've put up with crowds for decades, but it's gotten too high for me. I'm not used to being around so many people and the lines are always very... very bad.

I've got to go back to picking my spots.
But but…Figment’s holiday sweater made its triumphant return! Iger Claus is the reason for the season!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Figment's holiday sweater

Journey-into-Imagination-with-Figment_Full_49480.jpg

jrhwdw

But but…Figment’s holiday sweater made its triumphant return! Iger Claus is the reason for the season!
I might believe that if Iger put MSEP/New Spectro/Something back onto MK's Parade Route and return Sparkling Christmas Spectacular to the Castle Stage!

Touchdown

So can anyone go over the changes to Candlelight? I know they added Let There Be Peace on Earth to the end which is fantastic, but did they cut or shorten a song to do so?

jrhwdw

Peace on Earth was in Candlelight around 2002?, but it didn't stay. Peace On Earth 2022 is nice, but can't compare to WSL or the Classic Stage Version!

MrPromey

Figment's holiday sweater

Journey-into-Imagination-with-Figment_Full_49480.jpg

And BAM - JIYI gets a holiday overlay!

Who saw that coming?!

Thank you, Bob!

For everyone who thinks they're neglecting this attraction, here's proof they're on it!*

🤣 🤣 🤣

*compelte sarcasam for anyone who didn't catch that.

Last edited:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
So can anyone go over the changes to Candlelight? I know they added Let There Be Peace on Earth to the end which is fantastic, but did they cut or shorten a song to do so?
I was just coming here to post this. Saw it tonight- two shows. Here’s what I noticed.

-The first number for the Voices of Liberty after they take the stage is It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year now, which is a much peppier opening than before. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen still follows it.

-There is new narration before Silent Night. Mercifully, the story about the priest and the broken organ has been excised. They now talk about Mary and Joseph reflecting on the gravity of what had transpired as they listen to the baby breathe. This is a marked improvement and I’m very happy with it. The story about the organ always pulled me out of the show because it took place in a totally different era. This is good.

-There is also new narration after Silent Night that talks about Jesus always giving of himself (feeding the hungry, giving water to the thirsty, visiting the sick, etc.) and teaching people to love and care for one another. I also loved this change. I think those who were upset about the show getting “less spiritual” because they cut the One Solitary Life speech will be happy with this change. It is unabashedly religious though the ultimate message in this passage is universal.

-Joy to the World is merged with the Hallellujah chorus.

-After the bows there is a bit of narration about the importance of traditions at the holidays and how all those different traditions lead to a message of “peace on earth and good will to all.” This leads directly into Let There Be Peace on Earth, which closes the show.

By the way, having seen several dozen narrators over the years (and liking all of them for different reasons), I have to say that Chita Rivera is by far my favorite and the best one I’ve ever seen. I’ll die on that hill. Her theatrical pedigree, combined with her unabashed joy and excitement to be there, plus the fact that she sings every number in full voice, right along with the choir, wins it for me.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was just coming here to post this. Saw it tonight- two shows. Here’s what I noticed.

-The first number for the Voices of Liberty after they take the stage is It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year now, which is a much peppier opening than before. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen still follows it.
Ack! It's a thoroughly secular song intruding into a repertoire of religious sacred song.

-There is new narration before Silent Night. Mercifully, the story about the priest and the broken organ has been excised. They now talk about Mary and Joseph reflecting on the gravity of what had transpired as they listen to the baby breathe. This is a marked improvement and I’m very happy with it. The story about the organ always pulled me out of the show because it took place in a totally different era. This is good.
I'll have to hear it for myself. But these kind of stories add a dramatization into the story which is not present in the Gospels. And the narration of TCP has been thoroughly scriptural so far, without supposing an interpolated narrative. And such interpolations usually wind up being maudlin. So, this will probably make my teeth itch.

-There is also new narration after Silent Night that talks about Jesus always giving of himself (feeding the hungry, giving water to the thirsty, visiting the sick, etc.) and teaching people to love and care for one another. I also loved this change. I think those who were upset about the show getting “less spiritual” because they cut the One Solitary Life speech will be happy with this change. It is unabashedly religious though the ultimate message in this passage is universal.
I'll have to hear it for myself, but, sermons for a general audience tend to be toned down and resort to platitudes of 'being nice' and miss the radical nature of Jesus's teachings and divorce the theological underpinnings of the Incarnation as the reason to do all the nice things we're supposed to do.

I was never a fan of One Solitary Life, even when it was passed around on mimeographed copies.

-Joy to the World is merged with the Hallellujah chorus.
I await hearing this with trepidation (next week!).

Did the audience stand for the Hallelujah?

-After the bows there is a bit of narration about the importance of traditions at the holidays and how all those different traditions lead to a message of “peace on earth and good will to all.” This leads directly into Let There Be Peace on Earth, which closes the show.
I'll allow it. ;)

By the way, having seen several dozen narrators over the years (and liking all of them for different reasons), I have to say that Chita Rivera is by far my favorite and the best one I’ve ever seen. I’ll die on that hill. Her theatrical pedigree, combined with her unabashed joy and excitement to be there, plus the fact that she sings every number in full voice, right along with the choir, wins it for me.
Indeed, Chita was, for me, the best narrator. Especially because she just joins in singing her heart out along with the choir.

Thanks for the report!

Last edited:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Ack! It's a thoroughly secular song intruding into a repertoire of religious sacred song.

I'll have to hear it for myself. But these kind of stories add a dramatization into the story which is not present in the Gospels. And the narration of TCL has been thoroughly scriptural so far, without supposing an interpolated narrative. And such interpolations usually wind up being maudlin. So, this will probably make my teeth itch.

I'll have to hear it for myself, but, sermons for a general audience tend to be toned down and resort to platitudes of 'being nice' and miss the radical nature of Jesus's teachings and divorce the theological underpinnings of the Incarnation as the reason to do all the nice things we're supposed to do.

I was never a fan of One Solitary Life, even when it was passed around on mimeographed copies.

I await hearing this with trepidation (next week!).

Did the audience stand for the Hallelujah?

I'll allow it. ;)

Indeed, Chita was, for me, the best narrator. Especially because she just joins in singing her heart out along with the choir.

Thanks for the report!
This board is probably not the place for theological discussions, though I’m happy to have them elsewhere. I’m not the theological rube you may think I am. 😉

To answer your question, yes, the audience stood for the Hallelujah chorus, though I suspect mileage will vary here depending on the audience. The number starts with Joy to the World, so everyone is sitting. When it transitions to Hallelujah, at both performances everyone stood. But then when it shifted back to Joy to the World, people got confused. At one performance, everyone sat back down, then stood again when it shifted back to Hallelujah. This continued happening to the point where it felt like we were doing that children’s song Stand Up, Sit Down. At the other performance, everyone remained standing the entire time.

And yes, Chita’s enthusiastic singing is what does it for me. She also always appears to be genuinely overjoyed to be there.

VJ

The number starts with Joy to the World, so everyone is sitting. When it transitions to Hallelujah, at both performances everyone stood. But then when it shifted back to Joy to the World, people got confused. At one performance, everyone sat back down, then stood again when it shifted back to Hallelujah. This continued happening to the point where it felt like we were doing that children’s song Stand Up, Sit Down. At the other performance, everyone remained standing the entire time.
My sources say this aerobics exercise is part of Christine McCarthy's new weight loss regimen to help Guests with their waistlines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom