Walt Disney World 2022 and Beyond

brb1006

I have seen files and have seen bids on some things that are in the late planning stages for 3 years+, but nothing that I know of has been awarded yet. What I have seen looks exciting, but until I see signatures on paper, I won't say anything more.

No cryptic messages either until I see things more solid.

All that said, I may have something cool to talk about early 2020. :D
Any time now. ;)

justintheharris

People hate Zootopia in Animal Kingdom because the movie is about human social issues, using animals purely as an analogy for humans to make the movie family-friendly. It is not about animals, nature, conservation, etc. Anyone who understands theme parks understands that Zootopia doesn’t fit in DAK. Instead of making false generalizations about people hating everything, try explaining why you think Zootopia fits.

Zootopia is one of my favorite movies of all time by the way.
Nice paraphrase of Joe Rhode’s recent tweet. You can argue it doesn’t make sense all you want and I think you’re right but there’s two problems:
1. The sequels could change the message
But more importantly....
2. Disney will put it in if they think it will generate higher profits in Animal Kingdom.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe I've missed some news and rumors, and there's obviously plenty of time for them to announce new projects as the current slate is completed, but it feels like another long quiet period is coming.

Has anyone heard or seen anything to either confirm or deny this? What are we expecting to pop up in the pipeline once all the current dust settles?

Sorry I missed this one.

Each park has an expectation of a large capex development around the middle of this decade. DAK has two, or had since one seems to be mothballed / merged. I say expectation since dates and monies are fluid; they’re more a signal of intent to spend x amount of money around y timeframe. DHS seems to be the least definite regarding details. Epcot could be items we’d expect to happen.

Early days yet, and although they can always change, budgets are high (or reasonable for WDI). And as always things can and do change.

Last edited:

No Name

Nice paraphrase of Joe Rhode’s recent tweet. You can argue it doesn’t make sense all you want and I think you’re right but there’s two problems:
1. The sequels could change the message
But more importantly....
2. Disney will put it in if they think it will generate higher profits in Animal Kingdom.

I haven’t seen this tweet and can’t find it for some reason.

Anyway, since they are competent enough to be putting a ride with mice, ducks, and dogs in DHS, and a ride with a rat in Epcot’s France pavilion, hopefully they’ll see similar logic applies to Zootopia.

MJL92

Original Poster
Each park has an expectation of a large capex development around the middle of this decade.

That's potentially exciting. Another new land in DAK and DHS seems plausible (RIP Dino-land and Echo Lake?). Finally that new World Showcase Pavilion with e-ticket for Epcot? Hoping the west side of MK gets some love. Frontierland and Adventure land have great classic attractions but would love an expansion over there.

Disney Maddux

Shhh. We don't want to summon a certain group of people...
obi-wan-grievous-hi-there_1.jpg

SoFloMagic

People hate Zootopia in Animal Kingdom because the movie is about human social issues, using animals purely as an analogy for humans to make the movie family-friendly. It is not about animals, nature, conservation, etc. Anyone who understands theme parks understands that Zootopia doesn’t fit in DAK. Instead of making false generalizations about people hating everything, try explaining why you think Zootopia fits.

Zootopia is one of my favorite movies of all time by the way.
but, animals! Animal kingdom! 😂

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Opinions of all of the new park projects (and what each has replaced) aside, I think most people are pleased with the volume of rides/attractions/lands Disney has in the works or recently completed over the last 5 year period (2017-2021). Each park has gotten attention, and though I think most would argue Magic Kingdom deserved more, MK did get the new fantasyland expansion earlier in the decade.

Looking further back though, there was a bit of a quiet period in the later part of the 2000s after we got Soarin' and Everest, and then in the earlier part of that decade after the late 90s gave us Rockin Roller Coaster, Buzz, Test Track, on top of the Animal Kingdom.

With all that being said, once we pass the 50th anniversary of WDW, it feels like Disney is going to back off a bit, despite Universal's new park and the upcoming 25th anniversary of AK.

Maybe I've missed some news and rumors, and there's obviously plenty of time for them to announce new projects as the current slate is completed, but it feels like another long quiet period is coming.

Has anyone heard or seen anything to either confirm or deny this? What are we expecting to pop up in the pipeline once all the current dust settles?
Call me "thread police" if you want, but how is this "news and/or rumors?". If your post ends in a "?", then it's probly neither.

Tacky3663_

As the person who scours the forums for these rumors, (and for anyone else reading this):

"If I had to put money on one big project for Disney after the 50th celebration is complete, it would be _____________"

The 100th Anniversary of the Walt Disney Company in 2023

Giss Neric

The only way I could truly believe stuff will be green lit 2022 and beyond is when the 50th Anniversary succeeds expectations in terms of attendance. Add to that if they would be able to regain momentum after this pandemic as quickly as possible.

Right now, I just want to see Ratatouille, France expansion, Harmonious, Cosmic Rewind and Tron not be too delayed.

Imagineer45

I have absolutely no idea what is in store for WDW post-2022, especially in light of the current economic state, but major projects I would like to see: South America land at DAK, 2 new countries at World Showcase (Brazil and India to coincide with the opening of Disneyland Mumbai), a complete teardown and replacement of Animation Courtyard with a new land at DHS, Tomorrowland overhaul with replacements for Stitch, Buzz, and Laugh Floor, and new monorails.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom