News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

flynnibus

Premium Member
Main difference is this was announced in a shareholder meeting, not through a general audience publicity piece. This was a message to shareholders that they intend to expand their theme park business.

Nah - this was a response to a question (although obviously prepped for). This is using a public venue to make a PR pitch without having to put out a direct statement just about this. It’s exactly how disney has been playing this… cool hand luke just putting it out there without trying to make a fuss about it. It’s just sly PR maneuvering. Let desantis flail around and disney looks cool, collected, business as usual, and we are really good for Florida…

Disney from the get go has been trying not to have a high profile tit for tat. This fits that playbook. ‘I’m just gonna leave this here…’

Tom P.

Nah - this was a response to a question (although obviously prepped for). This is using a public venue to make a PR pitch without having to put out a direct statement just about this. It’s exactly how disney has been playing this… cool hand luke just putting it out there without trying to make a fuss about it. It’s just sly PR maneuvering. Let desantis flail around and disney looks cool, collected, business as usual, and we are really good for Florida…

Disney from the get go has been trying not to have a high profile tit for tat. This fits that playbook. ‘I’m just gonna leave this here…’
Even so, you can't just make crap up when speaking to shareholders at a shareholder meeting. Sure, plans can change. But if they said it publicly to shareholders, it is expected that they mean it.

UCF

I've heard Disney isn't happy with the loss of control of the RCID assets, and much of this money is going to go towards acquisition of the RCID assets that Disney has deemed critical to control, such as parking garages, roads, and bridges. Not only do they need to cover the cost of those facilities to acquire them, they also need to budget for the annual property taxes for owning them, as they will no longer be tax exempt. This likely explains all of the increase over their normal expenditures, we aren't getting new lands with this money which is why they didn't announce anything like that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can I say one last thing about the da_n Yeti? Every time I see the statements about it, I get irritated.

<rant on>
OK. Any mechanical engineer, even right out of college, who aced Kinematics and Dynamics and really paid attention in Mechanics of Materials knows HOW to fix the Yeti. You can easily calc the forces involved and figure out what you need to re-manufacture to prevent the problems currently being experienced from occurring. A good engineer will also be able to design the jigs needs to fab the replacement items. Yes, money comes into it but, considering what we're talking about, nowhere near any limit that the company can't overcome.

That leaves us with two states, either the forces involved dictate materials to be used that are not available, or Disney just chooses to not give a flying ____ about fixing the system. I rarely believe in uncorrectable issues so why won't everyone just accept their concerns about this device just aren't in line with TDO's desires?

<rant off>

Thanks. Everyone can now go back to deciding how they know so much more about Disney can and should spend money than Disney themselves.
It's basically building a new skeleton, but doing it right. Which costs money, and different departments argue about who should eat the cost.

BUT... they can't put the Yeti back exactly as planned. Since the ride was built, safety standards for a wildly animated ton of machinery to take a swipe at you has tightened.

So, it's just not fixing the Yeti, or rebuilding it correctly, it's finding a whole new choreography that meets heightened safety standard. Which makes this a complete rebuild and reconfigurement, with all the accompanying testing.

And that makes the cost significantly higher than just re-engineering a few levers.

What expansion of DAK are you willing to give up to make that happen?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've heard Disney isn't happy with the loss of control of the RCID assets, and much of this money is going to go towards acquisition of the RCID assets that Disney has deemed critical to control, such as parking garages, roads, and bridges. Not only do they need to cover the cost of those facilities to acquire them, they also need to budget for the annual property taxes for owning them, as they will no longer be tax exempt. This likely explains all of the increase over their normal expenditures, we aren't getting new lands with this money which is why they didn't announce anything like that.
Heard from whom?

Because the district is still a district that can float the usual bonds (that are tax exempt for the people who buy them). And with the new contracts in place, Disney tells the District what to do.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Even so, you can't just make crap up when speaking to shareholders at a shareholder meeting. Sure, plans can change. But if they said it publicly to shareholders, it is expected that they mean it.
Nothing I said suggested it's made up... it's just spin.. it's PR. It's putting things in the best possible light.

It's intentionally vague to let people see more in it than there probably is... to allow excitement to run free while also making a bold claim to your significance.

It's like when someone claims a new construction project "will create 1000 new jobs". Does that really mean 1,000 NEW jobs that will stick around forever? No. I means 1000 people will be needed... they might come from existing employees elsewhere and a bunch won't be needed once the project is actually complete. The statement isn't false, it is just fluffy and intentionally vague to focus on the most positive view of things.

Just like Disney's statement focuses on their 'spend' -- not elaborating on if they are talking about NEW spend, new projects, or could conveniently including opex costs in there along side some other projects to make the story sound sweeter.

KeithVH

It's basically building a new skeleton, but doing it right. Which costs money, and different departments argue about who should eat the cost.

BUT... they can't put the Yeti back exactly as planned. Since the ride was built, safety standards for a wildly animated ton of machinery to take a swipe at you has tightened.

So, it's just not fixing the Yeti, or rebuilding it correctly, it's finding a whole new choreography that meets heightened safety standard. Which makes this a complete rebuild and reconfigurement, with all the accompanying testing.

And that makes the cost significantly higher than just re-engineering a few levers.

That's as may be. Not close enough to know what code reqs would affect design strategy. But I'll go back to my prior point - the cheapest solution is to do nothing at all and continue to rake in the $$$.

As for giving up something, maybe they could make everyone take a haircut and spread it out?

MR.Dis

I do not believe a 5th gate will be built. However, I could just see Mr Iger wanting to have a ground breaking ceremony just before he is forced to retire as his final legacy.

GrumpyFan

I do not believe a 5th gate will be built. However, I could just see Mr Iger wanting to have a ground breaking ceremony just before he is forced to retire as his final legacy.
I can't see that happening under the current economic conditions unless there is a MAJOR turnaround in the next year.
I doubt the board would even consider it after laying off 7000 employees. Box office numbers are down and Disney+ is far from profitable at this point.

Phicinfan

Just speculation on my part, but having just spent a ton on both water parks Disney currently has in WDW, I would find it sad and somewhat hilarious if this was to be put toward a huge expanded new Water park to be called a new world to eventually replace the two they have. Going directly against what Universal did.

Just sayin.....

cranbiz

Just speculation on my part, but having just spent a ton on both water parks Disney currently has in WDW, I would find it sad and somewhat hilarious if this was to be put toward a huge expanded new Water park to be called A Whole New World to eventually replace the two they have. Going directly against what Universal did.

Just sayin.....
FIFY

BlakeW39

Okay so I heard that safety requirements have changed so much that the current choreography of the yeti is not legal. Problem I have with this, where was this information obtained? What safety codes have changed over the last 17 odd years or so which present problems for the yeti's repair?

Any of them. Fix what they got first, no question. I don't care about new stuff until the current stuff is working as intended. Granted TWDC has made it clear that it does not give two ***** what I think.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom