News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

Basil of Baker Street

You're quite the optimist, believing that Disney+ is ever going to be in the black.

Streaming in general is sputtering. When all you had were places like Netflix that combined content from tons of different providers, that was one thing. Now everybody and his brother has their own streaming platform and each has a specific niche with one specific brand or set of brands to sell. And people are growing weary of shelling out the same amount of money they used to spend on a cable bill to buy all their streaming platforms. Is anything actually drawing people to Paramount+ besides Star Trek, for example?

I think some sort of seismic shift is coming in the streaming wars. I'm not sure what it will be, but I know that the current trajectory is not sustainable. And I don't think Disney+ is positioned to be one of the winners right now.
People I know only pay for Paramount+ for the Yellowstone series. When it's done I think P+ will lose subscribers as well.

drizgirl

Well I think the premise of what he was saying was job creation in Florida not necessarily net for the company. So I guess people getting shifted to Lake Nona would count as “additional” jobs for Florida.
That’s some serious spin on their part if that’s what they meant.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You're quite the optimist, believing that Disney+ is ever going to be in the black.
We've discussed this in other threads (esp. Quarterly reports), but when you look at D+'s expenses and the number of subs it has, there is a price point for the subs at which D+ starts to become profitable. And that price point is less than Netflix's. And Netflix is profitable.

A third party streaming watcher just said Disney didn't really lose people in the last price hike. And ad-supported is only going to grow. Roku and D+ just settled their ad-supported dispute.

Netflix and D+ will be winners.

Apple+ and Prime will continue to be loss-leaders for their deep-pocket owners.

The rest are in serious trouble.

Naplesgolfer

I think a case could be made by Disney to Waalstreet for ride expansion based on ILL revenue. They could recoup much of the cost of new rides in 2 years with ILL , then rinse and repeat. They will need to respond to Epic soon due to lead times. They also have a horrible capacity problem in 3 of the 4 parks in WDW.

Drdcm

We've discussed this in other threads (esp. Quarterly reports), but when you look at D+'s expenses and the number of subs it has, there is a price point for the subs at which D+ starts to become profitable. And that price point is less than Netflix's. And Netflix is profitable.

A third party streaming watcher just said Disney didn't really lose people in the last price hike. And ad-supported is only going to grow. Roku and D+ just settled their ad-supported dispute.

I do wonder how Netflix will fare when they crack down on password sharing. Netflix has lost some of my good will by cancelling so many shows that I like after one season.

As far as Disney+, agree they will likely make it profitable. I just wonder how much it hurts their box office, and if that’s such a big deal anyway.

My fav right now is Apple TV. Hopefully they keep the quality consistent. Since it’s losing money, I’m not optimistic.

Vegas Disney Fan

As far as Disney+, agree they will likely make it profitable. I just wonder how much it hurts their box office, and if that’s such a big deal anyway.

This is my belief also, I think D+ will eventually be profitable, I doubt they’ll ever make enough to cover lost theater and download/blu-ray revenue though.

We spent more annually on Blu-ray’s than we spend on our D+/ESPN+/Hulu bundle. They are losing $150 in lost sales in one department to make $150 in another department.

Drdcm

This is my belief also, I think D+ will eventually be profitable, I doubt they’ll ever make enough to cover lost theater and download/blu-ray revenue though.

We spent more annually on Blu-ray’s than we spend on our D+/ESPN+/Hulu bundle. They are losing $150 in lost sales in one department to make $150 in another department.
I know right? We don’t go to the movies much any more because we can just wait until it comes out on Disney+. I might go if it was a movie where the stakes were high and I don’t want it to be ruined, like Star Wars or End Game, but otherwise I can wait a few extra months.

I’m surprised they’re not waiting like a year or more to bring new movies to the platform. Could help boost the box office… not that I want to give them ideas.

CaptainAmerica

That wasn't the trend though.

You can't compare 2030 Disney+ to 2015 theatrical plus home media plus cable, because theatrical plus home media plus cable were (and are) dying. You need to compare 2030 Disney+ to 2030 theatrical plus home media plus cable.

Sales aren't profit. Once Amazon and UPS and the manufacturers get their cut, Disney isn't making $20 from your DVD purchase.

doctornick

I think there could be another survivor if multiple studios merge into one service, kinda like the original concept of Hulu. In fact, I think Hulu could very well be that service if Disney were sell it. Wouldn’t be crazy to see some combo of Comcast/Paramount/Warner Bros Discovery join together at some point.

Trauma

The number 1 thing to keep in mind is the Fascist Governor will not be Governor forever. He's term limited out in 2026. This means Disney can just dump oodles of money into the next election and help someone get elected that's more business friendly.
The number 1 thing to keep in mind is the radical woke communist loving Iger won’t be CEO forever.

The board will be forced to replace him with someone who supports family values instead of encouraging mental illness.

See I can play this game too! Only difference is my post will get deleted, I may even get banned.

It’s sad to see how this changed from a Disney rumor site to the Huffington Post.

2bornot2be

I don't understand why we are spending so much time talking about Disney+. Are we. really looking at this number 17 billion.

This enough to build TRON, Guardians, Makeover of World Showcase, Remy's Ratatouille, Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, Toy Story Land, Skyliner, Galaxy's Edge (Smugglers Run & Rise of the Resistance), etc. again multiple times.

This seems to mean a 5th gate to me. Now the big question is will they do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom