Walt Disney Company 100 at [Cabochon] Disneyland

Disney Analyst

Some screenshots from a YouTube channel I shan’t link to (BL&B).

Fountains installed.

View attachment 690769

View attachment 690770

The other side seems to have a cover fitted, as well as shiny nozzles. The nozzles just peak out on the left side. I assume right side of castle is still mid-installation.

D075B936-00FD-44EF-AAD4-F6F8EBD2BD57.png

Also surrounding the fountain is a ring of LEDs for lighting.

055BF744-0C56-413B-99F2-D72EB66A283F.png

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I take it as a history of the company via:

Walt’s arrival in Hollywood/pre Disneyland w/ the Flowers and Tree reference, Mickey Mouse Carthay Circle that doubles as a rep for DCA and Snow White’s iconic opening, the studio street sign and Tinkerbell.

Then you have pre or opening day Disneyland with the train, carousel, bench which also act as representing what led to Disneyland as rhe bench could be seen as the famous park bench Walt sat on when struck with the idea. Opening day Disneyland is anchored by the castle, Dumbo and Jolly Rodger/Chicken of the Sea.

The next layer is the 60s/70s via Matterhorn, Small World, Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain.

Modern Disney is shown via DCA and Chubby from Runaway Railway.

At least that’s what I got from looking at it
It’s all a bit much. But that’s just me. Personally, I like structure and organization. I wouldn’t have put so many references that have nothing to do with each other on one design. For the Disneyland popcorn buckets, I feel the design should focus solely on Disneyland. Then for another piece of merchandise design, they could have done Walt Disney arriving to California, creating Mickey, and making shorts. Another for the premiere of Snow White, the individual WDW parks, DCA, and so on.

This is just a petty personal annoyance. I actually do like the design, for the most part.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
True. I’m not completely anti Walt on merch. I think it can be done tastefully. I don’t think this is one of those times. A lot of it probably has to do with how he looks in this art style though.

Like this is nice…

View attachment 690780

Don’t like when he’s some modern looking cartoon. I also feel like if he wanted to be a cartoon it probably would have happened at some point between the 20s - 60s when he was alive. Or maybe it did?
I actually like how he looks in the design. It’s playful and cute. I just wish he looked older, the age he was when Disneyland opened.

Brer Oswald

I agree that there should be separate designs for the respective parks. I didn’t notice the Walt Disney Studios signage on there until you pointed it out. Seems very random and arguably out of place.
It’s an iconic sign, but it has nothing to do with Disneyland. Mind you, neither do the flowers from “Flowers and Trees”. Maybe they were going with a “Disney’s presence in California” theme?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
It’s an iconic sign, but it has nothing to do with Disneyland. Mind you, neither do the flowers from “Flowers and Trees”. Maybe they were going with a “Disney’s presence in California” theme?
That’s what I’m thinking. And if that’s the case, then everything in the design belongs there. I keep having to remind myself that this isn’t a Disneyland anniversary, but the entire company’s history. I keep forgetting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom