Walt Disney board extends Iger's contract as Chairman and CEO through June 2018

doctornick

Or you could have bought one of these and saved Disney $1,199,999,994.05. ;)

badge-holders-01.jpg
I had a lanyard to carry the Uni passes. The MB is still far more convenient IMHO.

For starters, we would sometimes split up (kids with different heights and interests), so that meant having to divy up the kids passes. With MBs, the kids just wore their own stuff, so there's no need to do. Once this resulted in a kid outside the park entry without his entrance pass.

Second, using the MB is quicker and easier than getting out the passes, especially if it was only certain people riding the ride, so I had to search through and find the right ones. Each time wasn't that much time, but do this time and again all day....

It's also easier with FP+ compared to old paper FP where I always ended up being the runner and holder, so I had to find the paper passes each time. Now, everyone just has their own themselves on their wrists.

Again, I'm not trying to make it out as though the MB is some massive game changer. But it's an improvement for me and my family. I'm happy they exist. I wouldn't have spent billions to make them happen, but I prefer them to the replaced system.

(Also, in regards to the "MB bothers my wrist" complaint, they don't bother me, but having the lanyard around my neck was kind of bothersome, especially having to secure it on some rides)

BigTxEars

I had a lanyard to carry the Uni passes. The MB is still far more convenient IMHO.

For starters, we would sometimes split up (kids with different heights and interests), so that meant having to divy up the kids passes. With MBs, the kids just wore their own stuff, so there's no need to do. Once this resulted in a kid outside the park entry without his entrance pass.

Second, using the MB is quicker and easier than getting out the passes, especially if it was only certain people riding the ride, so I had to search through and find the right ones. Each time wasn't that much time, but do this time and again all day....

It's also easier with FP+ compared to old paper FP where I always ended up being the runner and holder, so I had to find the paper passes each time. Now, everyone just has their own themselves on their wrists.

Again, I'm not trying to make it out as though the MB is some massive game changer. But it's an improvement for me and my family. I'm happy they exist. I wouldn't have spent billions to make them happen, but I prefer them to the replaced system.

(Also, in regards to the "MB bothers my wrist" complaint, they don't bother me, but having the lanyard around my neck was kind of bothersome, especially having to secure it on some rides)

I hate jewelry, been married for 22 years and have never worn ring because I hate them. Same with watches and necklaces. I was concerned about the band and it bothered me a little the first day but after that it was a non issue. I wore my pretty loose. I took it off to sleep but wore it the rest of the time.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

It was a joke. :)

I agree the bands are convenient, but that convenience wasn't enough to convince me to even spend $13.00 on them, let alone influence my vacation destination choice.

SirLink

I know there are different viewpoints on the state of the resort but:

Better: Soarin' 2.0, Main Street Expansion, whatever happens to DHS, Animal Kingdom Overhaul, Disney Springs, Trader Sam's, New Fantasyland

Worse: Frozen in Epcot, MyMagic+, Polynesian Waterfall.

Erm ... yeah three of those "Better" things have not happened/confirmed. Plus you are not really trying with your "Worse" list ... but hey ... New Fantasyland wasn't better in terms of content.

Turtle

Erm ... yeah three of those "Better" things have not happened/confirmed. Plus you are not really trying with your "Worse" list ... but hey ... New Fantasyland wasn't better in terms of content.
Only two aren't confirmed. What am I missing on the worse list?

BrerJon

But when the US catches up and you have to use a pin for every transaction however small then it won't be 5 seconds...

Contactless with a card doesn't require a PIN when the transaction is below a certain amount though. In the UK, tap to pay with your card or phone is common and far quicker than a MagicBand, and retailers can implement a terminal without having to spend a billion dollars on infrastructure.

Basically any time you have to enter a PIN or signature is a chore - MagicBands need to do away with that aspect for small transactions fast in order to not be slower than swipe cards.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Contactless with a card doesn't require a PIN when the transaction is below a certain amount though. In the UK, tap to pay with your card or phone is common and far quicker than a MagicBand, and retailers can implement a terminal without having to spend a billion dollars on infrastructure.

Basically any time you have to enter a PIN or signature is a chore - MagicBands need to do away with that aspect for small transactions fast in order to not be slower than swipe cards.

When they first rolled out touch to pay with the magic bands a pin wasn't required under a certain amounts, $25 or $50, can't remember. It wasn't to long after that they they changed to rule to require it for all payments.

BrerJon

No matter how many times you state it, it will not make Disney that stupid. It is a plain as day fact that not everyone has a smart phone, and that some who have them don't want to carry them in the parks. So what? Disney is assuming, correctly, that the vast majority of Disney guests have a smart phone with them in the group, and that carrying said smart phone won't annoy that majority.

Also there is the tracking aspect. The other day I was in the parks, in a hurry, and decided to quickly grab a Fastpass. Except there wasn't a machine any more, my phone battery had died, so I had to go to a kiosk. Once I got there, instead of putting my park ticket in and a couple of seconds later spitting out a Fastpass, I just got a screen that needed me to enter name, address, email etc... and then the terminal keys didn't work properly.

I don't particularly want to give Disney all that info, I just wanted a Fastpass. I didn't bother in the end and used the standby line, and I'm pretty sure this is what most guests are doing (which is why standby lines have lengthened considerably).

However many people have phones on them, or pre-plan their day, there is no metric by which the new experience is more pleasant for guests than the old one, except for a park opening dash to an e-ticket on a busy day - that's the only situation where this is anything other than negative.

SirLink

Only two aren't confirmed. What am I missing on the worse list?

Three aren't confirmed: Soarin 2.0, DHS and DAK Overhaul we ain't getting an overhaul. A new land with maybe 1 or 2 rides + night time show does not an overhaul make. Also Main Street Expansion? You mean the hub - infrastructure and removing more trees ... yay.

Worse list: Cutting equity acts all over property, the broken down transportation system, lack of maintenance, lack of cleaning, over surplus of DVC/hotel building, homogenized Disney crap to name but a few...

BrerJon

I have nothing against the bands as an optional extra for people who like them, but there's no doubt they've slowed things down in a lot of areas.

I have a big beef with MDE though... I wouldn't mind the 'reserve in advance' as an optional extra if they hadn't taken away the machines, but now it's impossible to get a Fastpass without giving Disney a ton of data mining information, and you can't just go up to a ride and randomly decide to get a Fastpass without either a) having to go across the park to a kiosk or b) installing My Disney Malware on your phone (assuming your battery hasn't died).

wdwfan4ver

Under his reign, ESPN has basically lost all journalistic credibility and panders significantly to invested interest like the University of Texas and the SEC.

I don't like him.
ESPN was already losing Journalistic credibility before Iger was in change of Disney.

ESPN hiring Skip Bayless in 2004 and that was before Iger and that was one of the signs of ESPN losing journalistic credibility.

Skip Bayless even as that time didn't have journalistic credibility and he was really a gossip reporter. Skip lost his a long time ago based on the fact he reported stuff on speculation like Troy Aikman was gay and claiming Troy wasn't playing at his best again the Redskins due to Norv Turner being the head of coach of the Washington Redskins.

The other thing was ESPN already was creating shows for loudmouth personalities even before Skip Bayless back in the early 2000's.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I'm not a critic of all things MM+, but this I agree with. Contactless pay doesn't seem quicker than using a credit card. And it isn't much more convenient. I guess it'll save me from taking my wallet out, but I've never considered that much of a hardship.

it does probably save Disney a bit of money, since I assume they charge the credit card for a batch of transactions, rather than one at a time, saving some "swipe" fees.

Definitely

Cesar R M

I think some people already discussed the part, where the MyMagic+ infrastructure upgrades were needed, regardless of magicbands or mymagic. aka, the IT and communication systems in WDW were pretty much OBSOLETE.

Goofyernmost

I found these two examples from *four years ago* of people here figuring out that NextGen was a dud.

So if people here figured it out, why did it take Disney so long to realise the same thing?
If people can ever get over the thought that they know everything there is to know about everything, they might ask themselves... How do we know that MM+ was or is a dud. We only see a couple of minor uses for the system. That being FP+ and quick use in purchases, etc. We fail to recognize that Disney (overall) was in dire need to upgrade their electronic infrastructure and try to get in line with current technology. The purpose and the possibility has only been looked at on the level that we personally experience it using the forever scientific questioning of "What's in it for me?"

It doesn't seem to have affected the bottom line and the stock market has reacted, apparently, with favor on it. (or at least not negatively). Just because we don't see the value doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Someone said that part of the problem is no one reacts favorably to change, especially one that they don't understand or fit that "what's in it for me" mold. Stop beating a dead horse. It's in place, it isn't going away and, good or bad, it is what we have and will continue to have for a few years. Someone else mentioned that no one wants to have to make dining reservations 180 days out, like this is a result of MM+. In reality it has been that way for quite a few years now. It isn't even part of the argument anymore. In my mind it's easier to chose FP times that far out, then know what you are going to feel like eating 6 months in advance.

Turtle

Three aren't confirmed: Soarin 2.0, DHS and DAK Overhaul we ain't getting an overhaul. A new land with maybe 1 or 2 rides + night time show does not an overhaul make. Also Main Street Expansion? You mean the hub - infrastructure and removing more trees ... yay.

Worse list: Cutting equity acts all over property, the broken down transportation system, lack of maintenance, lack of cleaning, over surplus of DVC/hotel building, homogenized Disney crap to name but a few...

I realize my error. A couple of rides and nighttime show in my mind is an overhaul (considering it would tip AK to a full day) but I think differently.

Also, the Hub Expansion adds capacity and guest flow in the most congested part of the park. Pretty important.

As to your worse list, I've never witnessed those issues on any trips, nor do I think the average guest has, so it doesn't really change my thoughts. I do hope those issues are resolved.

I'm not saying everything is happy dandy in the resort. I'm just saying it isn't the apocalypse.

BrerJon

If people can ever get over the thought that they know everything there is to know about everything, they might ask themselves... How do we know that MM+ was or is a dud. We only see a couple of minor uses for the system. That being FP+ and quick use in purchases, etc. We fail to recognize that Disney (overall) was in dire need to upgrade their electronic infrastructure and try to get in line with current technology. The purpose and the possibility has only been looked at on the level that we personally experience it using the forever scientific questioning of "What's in it for me?"

Yeah OK, I take back what I said about it not being a huge success. I realise that I was projecting my own experiences on the project as a whole, but although for me personally it has made the experience of going to the parks worse, for most people it's more than worth the cost and a huge benefit -a quick look at the gushing praise on other blogs and TripAdvisor shows that, so I was wrong.

You still won't see me wearing a MagicBand any time soon (mainly because I'm not planing on visiting WDW again until they open new attractions aimed at all-ages), but I'm also going to try to stop criticising it, as - like you say- it isn't going anywhere, and the categories of people Disney wants visiting WDW (which I don't fall into) love it, so who am I to argue?

doctornick

I realize my error. A couple of rides and nighttime show in my mind is an overhaul (considering it would tip AK to a full day) but I think differently.

Of course, we lost a daytime parade in the process which IMHO negates the night time show. DAK should have both a big day time performance and the night time Rivers of Light to be a "full day". (It also needs additional C-tickets to fill out the day beyond Pandora's two rides IMHO.)

And the "whatever happens at DHS" has to be countered by all that has been shuttered under Iger -- AIE, Sounds Dangerous, Backlot Tour, two parades. We'll probably lose LMA and the Indy stunt show before its all said and done. Now, I'm not going to sit here and say that any of those things are huge losses, but let's not pretend that whatever is built at DHS is simply additions to what already existed.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
However many people have phones on them, or pre-plan their day, there is no metric by which the new experience is more pleasant for guests than the old one, except for a park opening dash to an e-ticket on a busy day - that's the only situation where this is anything other than negative.
You needn't take things past their logical points. statements like that one make it hard to agree with you when you are being reasonablE. No metric by which the experience is more pleasant? On one hand, pleasure can't really be reduced to metrics. But ignoring that, I've seen plenty of people here post that they enjoy preplanning their three major attractions and otherwise not dashing around the parks. I've seen others like getting FPs for the evening without having to,show at the park until 5 pm as they would have otherwise. Still others like the FP for reserved seating for parades. And others have smiled when they showed up at a resort and the CM knew who they were without them saying anything. Others have enjoyed the my memory stuff that the bands facilitate. And just a few postings ago was a comment that the magic band makes the water parks easier by removing the need for a locker or case to carry money. So there are plenty of metrics by which some guests find this more pleasurable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom