Walt Disney – A Magical Life

Magic Crush Drop

I think you're given the younger generation too much credit here, they aren't uber fans like us. They aren't into the history of the company, let alone who founded it, or who created the Parks.

So unless they have a parent or other relative that specifically tells them, the under 20 yr old crowd isn't going to have much if any knowledge about Walt. He isn't a character in Fortnite or Minecraft or Bluey or any other character, so why would they know who he is unless they are specifically told?

Also how many kids do you really know that is really asking who's voice it was in a 5-10 second voice clip from a show that is slammed packed with all their other favorite characters? I was literally at the DLR just last month with 3 kids, none of them asked who the voice was. None of them even asked who the man was that was holding Mickey's hand in the hub.
With this comment, we are mashing different age groups let alone 2 different generations here. Walt Disney is a name people heard about but don't know everything about the guy.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
With this comment, we are mashing different age groups let alone 2 different generations here. Walt Disney is a name people heard about but don't know everything about the guy.
I don't believe I am, but if it makes you feel better and its needs further clarifications call it the multiple younger generations that fall under the age of 20. And I still believe that once you get outside the Disney bubble of the fandom that if they've heard the name Walt Disney they associate it with TWDC not a real person.

But with all the said, I do agree that the many that know the name Walt Disney is a person don't know much of anything about him.

Phroobar

For some reason people say they are going to "Disney" when going to Walt Disney World. It's like an east coast thing that they seem to encourage. Lets take Walt out of the picture. We don't need some guy that died half a century ago. You can always tell a tourist when they are on west cost and refer to Disneyland as "Disney". It doesn't show proper respect for Disneyland by calling it "Disney".

MK-fan

For some reason people say they are going to "Disney" when going to Walt Disney World. It's like an east coast thing that they seem to encourage. Let’s take Walt out of the picture. We don't need some guy that died half a century ago. You can always tell a tourist when they are on west cost and refer to Disneyland as "Disney". It doesn't show proper respect for Disneyland by calling it "Disney".
“Let’s go to Disney” ugghh, that’s terrible, I would correct them right on the spot. I’d be like R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket and tell them to show the proper respect lol.

Misted Compass

For some reason people say they are going to "Disney" when going to Walt Disney World. It's like an east coast thing that they seem to encourage. Lets take Walt out of the picture. We don't need some guy that died half a century ago. You can always tell a tourist when they are on west cost and refer to Disneyland as "Disney". It doesn't show proper respect for Disneyland by calling it "Disney".
I don't think that's specifically an east coast thing. Seen plenty of locals call DL "Disney" as well.

PiratesMansion

I'm sure it's MOSTLY an East Coast phenomenon, but I also have to imagine that the number of people saying they're going to Disney when they mean Disneyland (park or resort) is not zero. "Going to Disney" is simply too omnipresent online for there to be *absolutely no one* saying it in the context of DLR.

Especially since the policy of tarring and feathering those entering the parks while calling it "Disney" has been discontinued.

mickEblu

Nah, as this board's token midwesterner, I gotta take one for the team and insist that pop is better. And faster to say!

Hahah. I have a few cousins that moved here from Chicago when I was a kid. They of course would call it POP but have since adapted. Regardless soda isn’t a term I use very often because when do you not just ask for the specific kind of soda you want? If I’m at a restaurant I ask for a Coke. If I’m going to the market I’m telling my wife I’m going to buy some Coke…usually. I guess if we re buying multiple varieties for a party or something then I might refer to it as soda. Note that I’m using coke as an example becasue that’s our favorite soda. I don’t call other brands of soda “Coke” like some people from the South do apparently.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hahah. I have a few cousins that moved here from Chicago when I was a kid. They of course would call it POP but have since adapted. Regardless soda isn’t a term I use very often because when do you not just ask for the specific kind of soda you want? If I’m at a restaurant I ask for a Coke. If I’m going to the market I’m telling my wife I’m going to buy some Coke…usually. I guess if we re buying multiple varieties for a party or something then I might refer to it as soda.
Are you one of the people that calls all soft drinks Coke?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Haha you responded before I edited my post. No I’m not, apparently people in the South do that? I think that’s definitely more weird than saying POP. At least POP is still a general term.
Yeah it was weird hearing people ask for a Coke when I've visited the South and getting something other than Coca-Cola. Especially when it was a Dr Pepper, I thought that was sacrilegious to call Dr Pepper anything but Dr Pepper to people from the South.

To me its either soda or soft drink. I've never called it pop, even when I was down South or in the Midwest, just sounds so weird to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom