Walking from mgm to Epcot??

the-reason14

Original Poster
From what I remember reading, and an unsuccessful attempt years ago, I'm 90% sure that you can walk from mgm to epcot or vice versa. My questions are, 1) how long does it take? I know you have to go through the boardwalk and the swan and dolphin, but from what I remember we got a little lost coming from the boardwalk and wound up riding a boat that ended up near the entrance to mgm. 2) Is it quicker than riding/waiting on a bus. And lastly 3) Do they have signs that let you know you're going the right way? When we tried this, it was back in 2004 and we were going from epcot to mgm. I remember seeing maybe 1 sign and then getting a little lost. I also remember visiting the boardwalk maybe a year earlier and walking close enough to the WS epcot entrance, thats when I also saw signs to mgm.

I would like to try this on my upcoming trip because I have never done it and it would be something "new." And I think I'm gonna go from mgm to epcot because in a strange way I think it will be easier to find my way in case I get lost. Any insight is appreciated.

wbc

You can. I used to do it all the time when I stayed at Boardwalk.

It's faster than the boat because the boat stops so many times.

If you want to save your legs, take the boat from Epcot to the first stop back (I can't remember which hotel is first either Boardwalk or Y&B). And then walk from that hotel to the Studios.

I'm guessing walking time to be about 30 minutes.

You need to get on the Boardwalk side of the canal. There's a sidewalk that runs down teh canal on the Boardwalk side. It leads nowhere but to the Studios. You can see it in Google Maps.

If you're walking all the way from Epcot, you need to hang a left at the first bridge to get on the Boardwalk side. Walk in the front of the Boardwalk and then follow the sidewalk to the left. Don't cross the bridge over to Swan and Dolphin.

Pioneer Hall

Yes it can be done...the path is past the bus stop area at the Studios and will take you past the Boardwalk to the rear entrance of Epcot. The walk isn't short though, and will take at least 30 minutes or so.

I find the quickest way to get from between the studios and Epcot (if you aren't stopping at any of the Epcot resorts) is to take the bus from one main entrance to the other.

As you walk the path along the water you will eventually see signs that you are going towards the Boardwalk (and you will see the resort). When you get to the resort your best bet is to walk the entire length of the boardwalk and keep going toward the left when you get to the end by ESPN club. You're going to cross the bridge and get to a point where your path meets the one coming from the direction of yacht and beach club. Go toward the right and in a few hundred feet you will be at the international gateway entrance to Epcot.

wbc

I find the quickest way to get from between the studios and Epcot (if you aren't stopping at any of the Epcot resorts) is to take the bus from one main entrance to the other.

That kind of depends where you already are inside of EPCOT. Since it's so huge, if you're in the World Showcase, it takes almost just as long/far to walk to the busses as it would to get to the far side of Boardwalk via International Gateway.

Also, IIRC Disney doesn't have a EPCOT to Studios bus service.

I would ride the boat before I used other forms of transportation. However, I would walk before I used the boat.

CaptainJackNO

That kind of depends where you already are inside of EPCOT. Since it's so huge, if you're in the World Showcase, it takes almost just as long/far to walk to the busses as it would to get to the far side of Boardwalk via International Gateway.

I would ride the boat before I used other forms of transportation. However, I would walk before I used the boat.

When was this change made? I remember taking a bus from one park to trhe next in the past. Is this recent???:eek:

wbc

When was this change made? I remember taking a bus from one park to trhe next in the past. Is this recent???:eek:

I don't know if it's a change or not. Hence the IIRC.

I remember many years that there weren't any or maybe it was the fact that the busses were so light that you had to wait so long you might as well just walk.

I've been walking from Epcot to Studios for over 10 years so I'm not totally up to date on the busses.

However, I will say that if I was already in the NE side of Epcot and I wanted to go to MGM.... I'd take the boat or walk. It's no skip to Epcot's busses.

SleepingMonk

We jog BoardWalk-MGM-BoardWalk-Epcot-BoardWalk when we stay there in the morning before breakfast. It takes less than 20 minutes round trip.

If you really want to try something do that circuit but sub lunges between running routes.

We have also done lunges around the world, burpees around the world and squats around the world in Epcot.

Have fun!

slappy magoo

I'd also point out, if memory serves, that there's not a lot of cover from the sun as you walk from the Studios to Epcot or any of the Epcot resorts. Someone who is older, or in really bad shape, is going to wilt in the sun if they try this during the summer in the afternoon. I remember doing it in late August. I was alone, and in good enough shape that I wasn't about to die, but it wasn't a fun "stroll" by the time I was done either.

wbc

I'd also point out, if memory serves, that there's not a lot of cover from the sun as you walk from the Studios to Epcot or any of the Epcot resorts. Someone who is older, or in really bad shape, is going to wilt in the sun if they try this during the summer in the afternoon. I remember doing it in late August. I was alone, and in good enough shape that I wasn't about to die, but it wasn't a fun "stroll" by the time I was done either.

You're right about that.

The shade from the walk from Epcot to Studsios consists of:

1. A single highway overpass.

:ROFLOL:

DisDadWoz

Absolutely correct. We walked in late June at around 9:00am and I think I lost 5 pounds. It was fine walking back after the park closed. Pretty well lit as well.

tizzo

If that is true, then it's a change implemented in the past couple of years. I took the boat from MGM to Epcot once, and it took quite a while. It was at least 20 minutes waiting for the boat to arrive, and then another maybe 30 to get to Epcot with all the stops. (I suspect something happened to cause the boats to stack up or something, because a boat was leaving as we walked up at MGM, another one arrived after 20+ minutes, but then another was approaching by the time we got underway). Anyway, due to the length of the boat ride, and the fact that we were closer to the front of Epcot than the back, we took a bus from Epcot back to our car at MGM. As I said, this was a couple of years ago, so it's very possible that there no longer is a bus between the parks.

the-reason14

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. But wow, 30 minutes! I was thinking maybe 10 minutes, but boy was I wrong. I think I'll probably ride the boats. I've seen the boat at the studios thats far off to the left when walking in the direction to the busses, but doesn't it take you just to the swan and dolphin? Like I said, I remember attempting this back in like 2004. We walked from WS to the boardwalk and followed the path all the way around until we saw signs to mgm. We then came across the swan and dolphin and thats when I got confused and we just wound up riding that same boat that ends up near the entrance. I think I may wait to try this on a later trip, but I'd love the "challenge" and to see something "new."

the-reason14

Original Poster
If that is true, then it's a change implemented in the past couple of years. I took the boat from MGM to Epcot once, and it took quite a while. It was at least 20 minutes waiting for the boat to arrive, and then another maybe 30 to get to Epcot with all the stops. (I suspect something happened to cause the boats to stack up or something, because a boat was leaving as we walked up at MGM, another one arrived after 20+ minutes, but then another was approaching by the time we got underway). Anyway, due to the length of the boat ride, and the fact that we were closer to the front of Epcot than the back, we took a bus from Epcot back to our car at MGM. As I said, this was a couple of years ago, so it's very possible that there no longer is a bus between the parks.

Oh there's still an option to take a bus between the parks. It's just they moved the bus stop near the charter busses.

tizzo

Thanks for all the replies. But wow, 30 minutes! I was thinking maybe 10 minutes, but boy was I wrong. I think I'll probably ride the boats. I've seen the boat at the studios thats far off to the left when walking in the direction to the busses, but doesn't it take you just to the swan and dolphin? Like I said, I remember attempting this back in like 2004. We walked from WS to the boardwalk and followed the path all the way around until we saw signs to mgm. We then came across the swan and dolphin and thats when I got confused and we just wound up riding that same boat that ends up near the entrance. I think I may wait to try this on a later trip, but I'd love the "challenge" and to see something "new."

The same boat goes all the way from DHS to Epcot and back again. When we took it, it stopped maybe three times from DHS to Epcot. My best recollection is that the stops were Swan/Dolphin, Boardwalk, and Yacht/Beach Club. We didn't go the other direction, so I'm not sure if the reverse trip is direct from Epcot to DHS or if it makes all the same stops again. Looking at nolatron's map, my guess is you missed a turn somewhere. When you get to the end of the Boardwalk, there's what looks like a paved path that takes you along the water (with the water to your right) to DHS. If you didn't turn off on that path and went straight, you'd come to a T where you can go either right towards Yacht/Beach, or left towards Swan/Dolphin.

wbc

my guess is you missed a turn somewhere.

My guess is he crossed over the bridge into Swan and Dolphin. You have to turn left at the intersection right before that bridge with shields all over it.

Google Maps needs street view of Didney Whirl.

tizzo

My guess is he crossed over the bridge into Swan and Dolphin. You have to turn left at the intersection right before that bridge with shields all over it.

Google Maps needs street view of Didney Whirl.

Hear, hear! Maybe someday - I thought I'd read that they've already done it for Disneyland, or parts of it.

JWG

The same boat goes all the way from DHS to Epcot and back again. When we took it, it stopped maybe three times from DHS to Epcot. My best recollection is that the stops were Swan/Dolphin, Boardwalk, and Yacht/Beach Club. We didn't go the other direction, so I'm not sure if the reverse trip is direct from Epcot to DHS or if it makes all the same stops again. Looking at nolatron's map, my guess is you missed a turn somewhere. When you get to the end of the Boardwalk, there's what looks like a paved path that takes you along the water (with the water to your right) to DHS. If you didn't turn off on that path and went straight, you'd come to a T where you can go either right towards Yacht/Beach, or left towards Swan/Dolphin.

I think the boat is:
Epcot
BWV
YC/BC
Dolphin/Swan
MGM
Dolphin/Swan
YC/BC
BWV
Epcot

I may have BW and YC/BC reversed as we haven't stayed there since 2007 and I'm forgetting, but it's something similar.

It's shorter to Epcot from the YC/BC and to MGM from BW if you're going to ride part way on the boat.

wbc

I may have BW and YC/BC reversed as we haven't stayed there since 2007 and I'm forgetting, but it's something similar.

It's shorter to Epcot from the YC/BC and to MGM from BW if you're going to ride part way on the boat.

I've been staying at BW for over 10 years and I can't even remember which comes first BW or YC/BC

I believe you have it right though. I seem to remember the reason we never walk to MGM from Boardwalk is because it takes so long due to all the stops going there.

sarajo

A few years back, we were at the studios with our large group and were getting ready to head back to EPCOT. My husband and I walked the route back to EPCOT, while the bulk of the group took the boat. We beat our boat riders back to the International Gateway. With all the stops the boat made, they got there about 5-10 minutes after us... our walk took approx. 30 minutes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom