wal-mart , publix help (uk)

sweetsugar

My sis and I are planning our first trip to WDW next May. This is our first major trip abroad on our own. We will not be driving when we are out there. This might seem like a silly question. we are trying to cut the cost and from reading lots of posts on here its clear people say take water and snacks with you into the parks rather than buying in there because they cost alot. Therefore my questions is where can we get bits like drinks and snacks is there a Wal-mart or publix near by or can we get this all from DTD or our hotel. We are planning to stay at POR.
Thanks!! can't wait!!! I'm so excited :wave:

tigsmom

There are a few stores close by for groceries. I like Publix best and do shop at SuperWalmart here at home. Sorry I don't have the directions for you, but I'm sure somebody will be along soon to help you out. It shouldn't be too expensive to grab a taxi.

Upvote 0

MGMBoy

Your best bet may to be get a cab. There's a Winn-Dixie kind of close. Try to avoid "Goodings" at the Crossroads as their prices are 15-20% higher then most other grocery stores. Nearest Publix is further then the nearest Wal-Mart. Winn-Dixie would be the closest option though. That help?

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I forget which supermarkets do this, but some of them, for a fee, will deliver the groceries you want to your resort. The fee might be the same as the price of a cab, plus they do the work for you, so you're not spending your vacation time in the market. You can order and pay online, and they handle the rest. I believe Gooding's is one of them.

Meanwhile, the DVC resorts all have a tiny selection of groceries available (since all the rooms at least have kitchenettes), usually in their respective gift shops. Not a great selection, and certainly more expensive for most items than a sueprmarket, but potentially easier to get to and from. Someone can correct me on this, but I believe that the water launches that go from PO-R to Downtown Disney also makes stops at both POFQ and Old key West, which is a DVC resort and as such would have a slightly better grocery section than POR will. If I'm right about the water launches, then you could, as a suggestion, make reservations to dine at Olivia's, the restaurant at Old key West. While there, you can stop at their shop and load up on some essentials, then go back on the water launch to PO-R. The general stores at Fort Wilderness also have a better-than-average selection of groceries, and you could potentially go there for dinner one night, stock up on your essentials, take a bus to DTD and then a bus or water launch from there to PO-R. Not the easiest solution, but it keeps you onsite, and it affords you opportunities to visit other resorts, which I enjoy doing, personally.

EDIT: Apparently, gardencrocer.com has better prices and a delivery fee of only 12 dollars compared to gooding's 25 dollars. If ou buy at least 200 dollars in groceries, delivery is free, but I'm guessing that might be more than you'll need.

Upvote 0

Mr Wizard

Do yourself a favor and stay away froom Goodings. The one time I went there and stocked up it killed the budget for the rest of the trip ( not kidding ). There is a Publix market at 2915 Vineland Rd, close to Disneys entrance. It is a very nice grocery store with just about anything you might need. Wal Mart may be cheaper but I have never been impressed with their personnel or their cleanliness. I guess growing up working in my dads grocery store made me a bit pickey about these things. I hope you have a ball! ! ! !

Upvote 0

Kriszee1

If you are renting a car, there is a Super-Walmart off of I4. We usually go to the one after the Sea World exit though. My husband always drives so I don't pay attention as to the exact location. The first morning after we arrive, we pick up snacks and drinks. We also get some things we didn't feel like packing but are inexpensive, like plastic hangers (we bring entirely too many clothes). They also have a little Florida souvenier section in it. I grab a cup or a hat for my son there. I beleive you can also order from Goodings, but they are very pricey IMO.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

192 has a selection of stores and marts. There are several Publix grocery stores along there and a Super Walmart. We drive down and we always bring our own snacks and drinks, but mid way thru the week make a stop and pick up things for breakfast and such.

Next Trip - January 2009

Upvote 0

figmentmom

Take a taxi to the Winn-Dixie. Under NO circumstances make a stop at Goodings, even though it's a bit closer! Stock up in one trip, and you should be fine. The limited amount of grocery items available in the resorts are still overpriced, so you're better off paying for the taxi.

Have a great time!:wave:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Have you checked on shipping what you need from home to Disney World? How much would international shipping cost?

Not sure of the cost, but every time a friend sends stuff from England (or I send stuff over) it gets caught up in customs. :shrug: We're not talking big stuff here either.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

Have you checked on shipping what you need from home to Disney World? How much would international shipping cost?

Not sure of the cost, but every time a friend sends stuff from England (or I send stuff over) it gets caught up in customs. :shrug: We're not talking big stuff here either.

Yes, I doubt it would be worth the money, time and effort to ship snacks and bottled water over here! Go for the grocery store trip.

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

If you are just going to get snacks and water, consider getting some Pure Water 2 Go bottles. They are refillable up to 200 times. Plus, you can always have filtered water in the parks. We used them this year and they were awesome. We only had to carry two bottles with us and could just refill them at the water fountains.

Upvote 0

smk

Pack one suitcase light, fill it with snacks from home to eat while in Orlando! Once the snacks are gone you have a bag that is light enough to pack any extras you purchase on your trip. For water, buy a nalgene bottle at home and bring it with you, fill it at the counter service places to eat and you never have to spend a dime on any snacks or water. There is no getting around buying fresh fruit to snack on but if you are saving money on other things like bottled water and crackers etc...buying the fruit won't cut as much from your budget. :wave:

Upvote 0

mrerk

Premium Member
There is a Hess gas station across from Pleasure Island that has snacks and such at non Disney prices. That would probably be your best bet. After all, you're only looking for snacks and water, right?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom