News Wakanda joins Coco, Zootopia, and Encanto on Disney Parks' future blue sky expansion list, reveals Josh D'Amaro

ToTBellHop

The solution to this is right there on the tips of our tongues:

Wocka Wocka Wakanda: The Muppets present a Celebration of Wakandan Culture.

Fozzie as Black Panther. Litigate that, Universal!
They actually already have a Muppet ready to go
on as Black Panther.

1695383067376.jpeg

LittleBuford

And it would be odd for Disney to be thinking about Wakanda for Epcot for the past five or so years if they weren't allowed to do it.
I find is pretty shocking that anyone at Disney is contemplating this. They would receive loud and widespread criticism if their first sub-Saharan Africa pavilion were based on a nonexistent country, and rightly so.

osian

I find is pretty shocking that anyone at Disney is contemplating this. They would receive loud and widespread criticism if their first sub-Saharan Africa pavilion were based on a nonexistent country, and rightly so.
Yes, but....already been tested really with Cosmic Rewind. The first celebration of human achievement, technology and industry based on a fake world and fake peoples. But the most important thing is which song you get.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yes, but....already been tested really with Cosmic Rewind. The first celebration of human achievement, technology and industry based on a fake world and fake peoples. But the most important thing is which song you get.
Putting a fake country in world showcase would be another level. Geez, to even contemplate this is just ridiculous (so I hope they are not). Although this is a good way to receive bipartisan criticism. Maybe Disney is just trying to bring people together!

LittleBuford

I’m talking specifically about World Showcase. I don’t think Wakanda is a good fit for the rest of the park either, but at least placing it there wouldn’t be offensive.

DCLcruiser

Yes it’s all Disney IP in the end. But why wouldn’t you want WDI to be allowed the same creative freedom offered to the studios?

Then again, the studios are more and more being forced into sequels it seems so maybe Disney as a whole just isn’t allowed as much creativity as they used to be.
Does WDI employ storytellers anymore? Or are they mostly rock designers and civil engineers? If WDI hasn’t come up with an original thought in decades (?) that may mean that they no longer seek original artistic talent. Not saying they can’t, but if that’s not the job, it might not be their skill set.

DCLcruiser

Why are you framing things in terms of stability? The point of these pavilions is to celebrate the a country’s architecture, traditions, and culture, not to wade into politics. Any number of African countries would lend itself very well to such a mission.
The point of the pavilions is to be a living Tourism board. They are all set up for “Visit Us” campaigns, videos, rides, etc. I am all for an African pavilion, but it needs to connect Americans to future travel.

999th Happy Haunt

What makes an attraction/experience better when it's in the parks first vs. a movie first?
No "barrier to entry" so to speak, and often a lot more creative freedom from WDI at least make them more interesting initially than something based on a current film. There's been great original attractions and bad original attractions, the same way there's been great IP attractions and bad ones.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It shouldn’t be done…period.

The cartoons in “related” countries is by far the extreme limit

I know where this is going: “well avatar is fake…but animals are real…so that works…what’s the difference?”

No.
And also: NO!!!

As Ben Stern told his son Howard: “don’t be stupid, JaMoron!”

LittleBuford

The point of the pavilions is to be a living Tourism board. They are all set up for “Visit Us” campaigns, videos, rides, etc. I am all for an African pavilion, but it needs to connect Americans to future travel.
You’re describing the World Showcase model as it was originally conceived, not as it really operates today. And even if that model still prevailed, there are plenty of African countries that would fit the bill.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Woah…1985 called…
That’s all done

The internet killed that “tourism board” stuff…there’s a 1:1 correlation in many ways. No mystery on the planet now

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Woah…1985 called…
That’s all done

The internet killed that “tourism board” stuff…there’s a 1:1 correlation in many ways. No mystery on the planet now
You have a valid point that the internet killed tourism boards. But I think the WS pavilions still offer such a great opportunity for children and adults to get a (semi) real world experience of other countries and could absolutely help with creating a desire to travel there.

I remember visiting in the late 80s and early 90s when there was so much more cultural representation and it would be great to see that again.

The "candy lady" at Japan pavilion was amazing. I think they still have her (a newer one) from time to time.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Remember folks, the Marvel agreement in Orlando has been updated and we don't know the contents of the most recent agreement.

Not to mention the original agreement was super vague. For example what is a 'family'? In the Marvel universe almost every single character of note did a stint with the Avengers, which would mean Universal has a lock on all Marvel characters. But the contract makes clear that that isn't the case.

Vague.

Also, as mentioned above, Shuri has taken the mantle of The Black Panther. But Shuri's Black Panther isn't an Avenger.

And because Black Panther was an Avenger doesn't necessarily mean his 'family' is off the table. It's the Avenger's family that's off the table.

But this rumination is all based on the vagaries original contract which is now superseded by a newer one that we haven't seen.

And it would be odd for Disney to be thinking about Wakanda for Epcot for the past five or so years if they weren't allowed to do it.
The absolute BEST costumed group I saw at Oogie Boogie Bash recently were Queen Ramonda, Shuri, Ironheart, Winter Soldier and Everett Ross. They were so amazing looking, the CM's actually went and brought Black Panther (T'Challa) onstage for a special meet & greet and photo shoot.

Add Okoye and the Dora Milaje, Nakia, M'Baku - even without T'Challa that would be a hugely popular meet and greet (or Wakandan royal dining experience?). 😍

And since Avengers Campus has included multiple characters no longer with us onscreen, I think people would lose their minds for a N'Jadaka visit. :D

MarvelCharacterNerd

But there is of course a very simple 'fix' to having Wakanda at EPCOT - and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen by EPCOT's 50th - give in to the IP and change World Showcase to "Disney Worlds Showcase". Done.

Mexico becomes Coco themed
Morocco becomes Agrabah
Norway becomes Arendelle or Asgard
Italy becomes Luca or Pinocchio themed
UK already has hosted Pooh, Poppins & Alice - make it Disney UK themed
France themes to Ratatouille and Aristocats
American Pavilion becomes "Walt's America"
Canada themes to Turning Red
China themes to Mulan
Japan to Big Hero 6
Germany to Snow White

And then you add Wakanda Pavilion in the World Showplace or an empty extension pad

Easy. Give up tourism and education for fantasy and it would be more popular than the current version of World Showcase.

*ducks under the torches and pitchforks to escape*

ToTBellHop

But there is of course a very simple 'fix' to having Wakanda at EPCOT - and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen by EPCOT's 50th - give in to the IP and change World Showcase to "Disney Worlds Showcase". Done.

Mexico becomes Coco themed
Morocco becomes Agrabah
Norway becomes Arendelle or Asgard
Italy becomes Luca or Pinocchio themed
UK already has hosted Pooh, Poppins & Alice - make it Disney UK themed
France themes to Ratatouille and Aristocats
American Pavilion becomes "Walt's America"
Canada themes to Turning Red
China themes to Mulan
Japan to Big Hero 6
Germany to Snow White

And then you add Wakanda Pavilion in the World Showplace or an empty extension pad

Easy. Give up tourism and education for fantasy and it would be more popular than the current version of World Showcase.

*ducks under the torches and pitchforks to escape*
1695435074117.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom