News Wakanda joins Coco, Zootopia, and Encanto on Disney Parks' future blue sky expansion list, reveals Josh D'Amaro

SpectreJordan

According to our reliable insider, it was briefly considered for World Showcase, but now rejected.

The current homage to Africa there is embarrassing. Wakanda would be a step up.
The World Showcase should focus on real countries. It'd feel very racist to have Africa's representation in that area to be made up of a fake country. There's plenty of real African countries with interesting cultures that should be celebrated.

If they needed to force Wakanda into EPCOT, then it should go where WOL is rotting away rn. That way you can have it next to the other Marvel ride & I guess you could theme that area as a technology land; two rides based on sci-fi tech & two based on real life tech.

But EPCOT's not a good fit for the Black Panther for a variety of reasons, including the fact that you couldn't build a true Wakanda land there. Hollywood Studios is really the only place that could fit & I think the park desperately needs something like that anyway.

Visually, Black Panther/Wakanda would be a good fit for Animal Kingdom. But there's really no Black Panther stories centered around conservation, so it'd be a poor fit thematically.
Weather be damned, I think they still should have just done Tatooine. Nobody complains it’s too hot in Florida for Hogsmede to be there with snow on the roofs. It’s all part of the whimsy and suspension of disbelief that theme parks are supposed to inspire.

There’s committing to immersion, and then there’s shooting yourself in the foot.

If it was up to me, I would've loved for them to figure out how to make Cloud City, Coruscant or Naboo work. Those are my favorite Star Wars locations, but I imagine the first two would've been near impossible to make work.

rd805

The World Showcase should focus on real countries. It'd feel very racist to have Africa's representation in that area to be made up of a fake country. There's plenty of real African countries with interesting cultures that should be celebrated.

If they needed to force Wakanda into EPCOT, then it should go where WOL is rotting away rn. That way you can have it next to the other Marvel ride & I guess you could theme that area as a technology land; two rides based on sci-fi tech & two based on real life tech.

But EPCOT's not a good fit for the Black Panther for a variety of reasons, including the fact that you couldn't build a true Wakanda land there. Hollywood Studios is really the only place that could fit & I think the park desperately needs something like that anyway.

Visually, Black Panther/Wakanda would be a good fit for Animal Kingdom. But there's really no Black Panther stories centered around conservation, so it'd be a poor fit thematically.

If it was up to me, I would've loved for them to figure out how to make Cloud City, Coruscant or Naboo work. Those are my favorite Star Wars locations, but I imagine the first two would've been near impossible to make work.

I actually love the thought of Wakanda going into WOL -- in terms of "tech" in the movie and the golden dome, it's actually a pretty great fit if this was some hidden futuristic spot in there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Well... Many of the African nations were created by colonialists ignoring tribal and regional cultures. So, it probably would be best to go with a region of Africa, just like Africa in DAK is "East Africa," and not a specific nation. Also, Norway, e.g., was originally going to be Scandinavia.

However, national pavilions are paid for and run by organizations of a country/region. Unless some African organization/country steps up to foot the bill, it ain't happening. Which means, almost certainly... it ain't happening.

BTW, don't forget Morocco is African! ;)

TheMaxRebo

I actually love the thought of Wakanda going into WOL -- in terms of "tech" in the movie and the golden dome, it's actually a pretty great fit if this was some hidden futuristic spot in there.

If they feel the need to do that I think this is the best option and would fit with Guardians and that side of Future world

LittleBuford

Many of the African nations were created by colonialists ignoring tribal and regional cultures. So, it probably would be best to go with a region of Africa, just like Africa in DAK is "East Africa," and not a specific nation.
This would create a very strange disparity, and one rightly open to a lot of criticism. Leaving aside the fact that a country created by colonialists can still develop a meaningful national identity, an easy way around the putative issue would be to opt for somewhere like Ethiopia, which has a deep history as a cultural and political entity.

SpectreJordan

It's not the worst idea. But I think the setting is cool enough to justify a land.
Well... Many of the African nations were created by colonialists ignoring tribal and regional cultures. So, it probably would be best to go with a region of Africa, just like Africa in DAK is "East Africa," and not a specific nation. Also, Norway, e.g., was originally going to be Scandinavia.

However, national pavilions are paid for and run by organizations of a country/region. Unless some African organization/country steps up to foot the bill, it ain't happening. Which means, almost certainly... it ain't happening.

BTW, don't forget Morocco is African! ;)
I'm sure they could find a way that would honor a specific culture in a dignified fashion.

As for the funding by a country, I'm sure Disney would be fine if they had to pay for one pavilion; especially since Wakanda won't be funding itself, outside of merch sales maybe lol. Obviously, it's not likely since they haven't added a new one since the 90s but they could.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As for the funding by a country, I'm sure Disney would be fine if they had to pay for one pavilion;
Disney won't even run Morocco at full capacity even tho it fell into their lap.

Tho, to be fair, they're doing a good job keeping up the place with refurbs.

Tho, to be honest, they pushed out authentic Moroccan merch for Disneyfied Moroccish merch.

SteveAZee

Disney won't even run Morocco at full capacity even tho it fell into their lap.

Tho, to be fair, they're doing a good job keeping up the place with refurbs.

Tho, to be honest, they pushed out authentic Moroccan merch for Disneyfied Moroccish merch.
A thorough analysis.

rd805

It would be nice to see a new country grace the World Showcase...and not some made up superhero crap. Do that in Hollywood Studios...
Spain, Portugal, Greece, Fiji, Singapore, Brazil...all great choices before installing a totally fake country. At least Norway has roots in a real country pavilion....

Greece & Brazil are absolute nobrainers to me, and it's a shame ONE OF THEM hasn't been already created -- IP could be brought in, but also recognizable destinations with their art/statues, architecture, and differing cultures compared to what exists in WS today.

James Alucobond

Greece & Brazil are absolute nobrainers to me, and it's a shame ONE OF THEM hasn't been already created -- IP could be brought in, but also recognizable destinations with their art/statues, architecture, and differing cultures compared to what exists in WS today.
Greece is sooo easy even under the current model that it’s insane. Athens and the Acropolis in the front, Dion and Mount Olympus in the back. Hop in a trireme for a ride up a flume lift hill accompanied by the Muses singing about Olympus, visit Zeus and most of the pantheon in their palace, get sent over the first drop to see Poseidon, get swallowed by Charybdis and end up with Hades/Pain/Panic, and then escape back to earth with the human/demigod characters from Hercules.

Also eat gyros. Done.

rd805

Greece is sooo easy even under the current model that it’s insane. Athens and the Acropolis in the front, Dion and Mount Olympus in the back. Hop in a trireme for a ride up a flume lift hill accompanied by the Muses singing about Olympus, visit Zeus and most of the pantheon in their palace, get sent over the first drop to see Poseidon, get swallowed by Charybdis and end up with Hades/Pain/Panic, and then escape back to earth with the human/demigod characters from Hercules.

Also eat gyros. Done.

Meet and Greet's, high end dining, WINE. Easy $$!

MR.Dis

Also eat gyros. Done.
The country pavilions are supported by the country's government. I do not believe Greece is in any way in an economic condition to support a Disney pavilion. Even it they were interested, Disney would probably take a pass. They are already supporting Morocco, do not believe they would want to add a country that may not be able to make a long term commitment.

LittleBuford

The country pavilions are supported by the country's government.
If I'm not mistaken, they aren't any longer and haven't been for some time.

Disney has more than enough money to build and manage new pavilions if it wanted to.

ETA: Indeed, it seems that the only pavilion with any direct funding from a national government was Morocco:

Last edited:

doctornick

Also eat gyros. Done.

Greece would be an easy option, especially given a built in IP to showcase with Hercules. Biggest issue would be complaints of "yet another European country" instead of South American, Sub-saharan Africa, South Asia, etc.

Personal opinion: doing an "Odyssey" ride - like just follow Homer's story scene by scene - with a quality Sherman Brothers-esque song and heavy on AAs would be a massive win for Epcot. Something similar in scope to the Sindbad ride from Tokyo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom