VWL vs AKL...buy resale vs new

DWLhometous

Original Poster
We wpuld like to buy DVC at Villas at Wilderness Lodge. Is there any reason why I should not just buy at AKL or Bay Lake so I have a later expiration year and then just book our stays at VWL? I know I can buy for less per point that savings does not seem worth loosing all the extra years. Why do people buy the resales with a much quicker expiration year? What am I missing?

DisneyJoe

The booking window of your home resort?

At your home resort you can book 11 months in advance, at a non-home resort its 7 months.

DWLhometous

Original Poster
We usually go a couple times each year but have never stayed at a DVC. Is it usually difficult to book a DVC like 7 months out...not considering Christmas, spring break,etc?

dizzney

We usually go a couple times each year but have never stayed at a DVC. Is it usually difficult to book a DVC like 7 months out...not considering Christmas, spring break,etc?

You NEED to buy where you want to stay. The booking window with your home resort of 11 months allows you to get the accommodations you want at the time you want them, we stayed at BWV on New Years Eve with a Boardwalk view which was simply amazing, BWV is one of our two home resorts.

At seven months it can be ery difficult to book into another resort, especially if it is BWV; BCV; BLT or VWL as they are smaller DVC resorts and extremely popular.

We've owned for 11 years, added on 3 times to 375 points, think it was a great decision to buy in, BUT have sometimes been unable to get a non-home resort at the seven month window. Tried for months last year to get into Hilton Head and it didnt happen.

Good luck!

slappy magoo

I own at Saratoga. I've got no complaints, it's a beautiful resort, but it can be very difficult to find accommodations outside of your home resort. I tried to book a 2BR for a few days later this year, and the only, ONLY resorts available for us during that time is Saratoga. Even 2BRs at Old Key West are booked during that time. We're on wait lists for two other places, and I'm calling up to check on others cine you can now only wait list at two places maximum, but it is what it is. Also bear in mind, according to allears.net, the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge has 136-units consisting of studio, one- and two-bedroom vacation villas. Bay Lake Towers has more than double that amount. Boardwalk has arou d 2.5x that amount. The smaller the resort, the harder it may be to book at the 7 month window. So if VWL is where your heart lies, you ought to think about buying there.

DWLhometous

Original Poster
Good information. I really had not considered the fact that VWL is so small and that even with a 7 day window may be difficult. I guess I am now wondering if it would be hard a find avaliability at VWL. We also really like AKL but like the location of VWL and the boating to magic Kingdom.

slappy magoo

Good information. I really had not considered the fact that VWL is so small and that even with a 7 day window may be difficult. I guess I am now wondering if it would be hard a find avaliability at VWL. We also really like AKL but like the location of VWL and the boating to magic Kingdom.

Well, another potential choice you have is to purchase points at both resorts. If you buy direct from Disney, there is a definite minimum amount to purchase - I think it's 160 points. But if you buy resale, you can buy whatever you want. You could, in theory, buy 100 points at VWL and 100 at AKL and then book rooms at both at the 11 month window. You can keep those reservations at both resorts if you want, OR, at the 7 month window, see if you can switch your reservation over to use all 200 points at one resort. If it doesn't work out, well, it's not always fun to switch resorts mid-trip, but there are advantages, too. And now you won't have to choose solely one resort or the other.

celticfan

I know some people always say it can be difficult to get reservations at the 7 month window but I have never had an issue. We own at Saratoga and have stayed at BWV the last few trips. The last time we were able to book one of the Grand Villas at Boardwalk at the 7 month window.

I am sure there are probably some times when it is harder than others, but if you can be a little flexible on when you want to vacation, I think you can usually get the reservations you want even if it is not your home resort.

Cubs Brian

Is there some kind of "forum" where fellow DVCrs can trade weeks with one another?For example could I propose to Slappy that at my 11month booking window I'd reserve a 2bdrm at AKL and for the same period he would reserve a 2 bdrm at Saratoga. I know that points might be a bit different but I'm sure mature people could work out the details.

toolsnspools

I know some people always say it can be difficult to get reservations at the 7 month window but I have never had an issue. We own at Saratoga and have stayed at BWV the last few trips. The last time we were able to book one of the Grand Villas at Boardwalk at the 7 month window.

I am sure there are probably some times when it is harder than others, but if you can be a little flexible on when you want to vacation, I think you can usually get the reservations you want even if it is not your home resort.

It really depends on when you like to vacation. We were able to get a room at AKL in the 7 mo window for late Feb. no problem. We try to vacation off season if possible, so the 11 mo vs 7 mo window doesn't mean as much to us. Now if you like to vacation around Christmas or Thanksgiving, better get the resort you like.

PrinceDon

MouseOwners

Is there some kind of "forum" where fellow DVCrs can trade weeks with one another?For example could I propose to Slappy that at my 11month booking window I'd reserve a 2bdrm at AKL and for the same period he would reserve a 2 bdrm at Saratoga. I know that points might be a bit different but I'm sure mature people could work out the details.

Take a look at the forums at MouseOwners, lots of people renting points there (including myself now) at $10 or under per point. If you want to switch hotels, you can rent your points off and find someone that has the home resort you are interested in.
-Don

yekcoh_99

We also had the same delima, SSR ( longer years, nice resort, cheap points) vs BCV ( SAB, hard to get into when not at the 11 month window & where we really want to stay)

Here are some of the answers we got from some very knowledgable people.

BCV has held it's value much better than SSR...which is something to consider if for any reason you need to sell your membership down the road. So does a possible resale come into the decision?

If you made a reservation at your home resort at 11 months and at 7 months couldn't change your reservation, would you be content to stay at whatever you choose for your home resort???

I know we were talking about SSR vs BVC but it's all relative. BCV like VWL is a small popular location. SSR & AKL are newer and quite larger.
Do you not only want the longer contract but do you need it? When our BCV contract is up I will be 70 and thats if theres not an extention offered. We decided to spend a couple of thousand more and over 30 plus years we know we will be happy if we have to stay at our home resort. That being said we recent were at AKL this past 28 March - 2 April we got a savannah view at 1 month out during the "busiest" time of year. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom