VQ/BGs (Virtual Queues/Boarding Groups)... Yay or Nay? (Better alternatives?)

MJJME

There’s over 30,000 resort rooms. How does guaranteeing that many passes help for capacity, reliability, or fairness? Even if it’s only a fraction (4000?) that’s a good chunk of the current groups distributed. To me there needs to be some effort in getting a pass or they’ll be even harder to come by.
Harder than your 15th ride or 16th?

disneygeek90

I’ve been 12. It’s really not hard with 100 groups available and a 7am open. The real issue is the recent drop off of groups and hours, not guests wanting to ride.

MJJME

Then what is your problem with my suggestions? I don’t prefer just increasing the hours, it should have been #4 but that ship has sailed.

I honestly would probably prefer #3, but think that #2 is the most viable after #1.
I have no problem with your suggestions. I like a combo of them. Hours 7am-9pm. Also restrict rides. Also give FP. How's that?

MJJME

Then what is your problem with my suggestions? I don’t prefer just increasing the hours, it should have been #4 but that ship has sailed.

I honestly would probably prefer #3, but think that #2 is the most viable after #1.
Can't get rid of BG because of reliability. So to ensure that more people get chance, open earlier, close later, give resort guest slight advantage couple days a week And put whatever sign up you want. I don't care about that

disneygeek90

Doesn't make operational challenges any worse and makes process available to more guests while giving them all the exact same chance to ride the exact same amount
It doesn’t really make it worse but what it does is lower overall standard groups and offers a “guaranteed” time which could back up quick if the ride is down several hours in the day.

HauntedMansionFLA

The park is packed with people at the posted opening time and you don’t get that hour and a half jump on people who slept in.
Hopefully boarding groups will go away before the big spring break crowds.

TheDuke

If a ride is going to attract massive crowds I prefer this setup to 3+ hour waits. You an just get there early to get a group and then ride later in the day without waiting too long. Wouldn't want them doing it for a bunch of rides.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
People who've been able and lucky to get a BG and ride, specially those who have ridden more than once, seem satisfied with this system, and that's understandable. The word fair has been mentioned too. The way I see it, there's nothing fair about a lottery, some will get lucky more than once, others just won't. Even if people follow every step, there's no guarantee. It is what it is.

Even though the words "gamble", "lottery" and "luck" sound more like I'm going on a Vegas vacation 😄, I've decided to give BG's a shot next May, that is, if this system is still in place by then. I'm hoping for the best!

We all can agree on wanting this ride to run in a more efficient manner so that it can be enjoyed, by as many visitors as possible. I really don't know what it'll take, but I hope this happens soon.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
People who've been able and lucky to get a BG and ride, specially those who have ridden more than once, seem satisfied with this system, and that's understandable. The word fair has been mentioned too. The way I see it, there's nothing fair about a lottery, some will get lucky more than once, others just won't. Even if people follow every step, there's no guarantee. It is what it is.

Then what do you propose to decide who can ride it and who can not?

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Then what do you propose to decide who can ride it and who can not?
Mister Penguin, I really don't know what to tell you... I've been following along this discussion and have read many Forum members' ideas. Some sound good to me, like alotting a number of spots for resort guests, APH's, etc., or limiting how many times certain visitors get to ride. Opening the ride 1 hour earlier than the rest of the park, is another proposition that sounds reasonable to me, since it appears that some elements of the ride get faulty or maybe overheated after many hours of use.

At this point, I'm fine with following the steps and seeing how it goes. 🙂

nickys

Premium Member
3. Restrict access to the ride, give resort guests who stay 3 nights one Fastpass (2 for 6 nights, etc.) Give APs 3 Fastpasses a month (that expire at the end of the month.). No one else gets to ride until boarding groups are no longer needed.

There isn’t enough capacity for every resort guest to be given an FP, let alone AP holders. There are 30,000 rooms onsite, so that would be 10K rooms to be given FPs per day. Up to 40K actual passes, could be more because I don’t actually know how they “count” DVC villas (a 2-bed can sleep 8 or 9).

Currently they’re calling less than 200 BGs per day, with what we summoned is around 100 people in each. That’s less than 20K per day. And not everyone gets called anyway. Extending operating hours wouldn’t create enough capacity, even if the ride was reliable enough to cope.

I mean the idea is sound, it just needs to be only those staying a week get one FP, and AP holders get one per month.

The problem stems from 1) the ride reliability - and I agree the ride shouldn’t have opened until it was improved and 2) not enough capacity period. And that one isn’t solvable. There are too many onsite rooms for everyone to get an FP for any ride, or even ride it stand-by, and the most popular ride will always have disappointed guests.

MickeyLuv'r

The park is packed with people at the posted opening time and you don’t get that hour and a half jump on people who slept in.
Hopefully boarding groups will go away before the big spring break crowds.

I'm thinking there's a chance WDW will temporarily close the ride, perhaps during spring break.

While the ride weathered the holidays, December vacationers - more or less- planned their park days well before the ride opened, and the BG process was at all understood. We just crossed over the 60 FP booking this week:

180 days after 12/5/2019 = 6/2/2020
60 days after 12/5/2019 = 2/3/2020
30 days after 12/5/2019 = 1/4/2020

Before this week, onsite guests -generally speaking - had to be willing to (potentially) sacrifice ADR's and prime FP if they wanted to get a BG.

Now we are a little more I the grey zone....where people maybe booked ADR's, but not FP. And of course...we're still solidly in the zone where many WDW visitors don't know all the details of getting a BG.

CJR

If repeat FP riders are an issue, you would think Disney would be able to track who has multiple FP reservations for the same attraction at any given time.

For example, MMRR just launched on FP+ today, they should immediately be able to know who booked it more than just once. My guess is that it might not be significant, otherwise, it's easily correctable and I would question why they don't already do something to curb it.

I think they could easily cap all guests to just one FP (each) for the most in demand rides every 30 days. I mean, we know the rides, but to mention them, FoP, Ratatouille, MMRR, RotR, MFSR, SDD, SDMT, possibly a couple others. What I'm talking about is not a guaranteed FP to these rides, but a guarantee that you can't ride them twice within 30 days using FP (and the same magic band, since some people swap bands; a loophole). Then, if someone wanted to ride it two times or more in a 30 day period, they can do standby.

For example, let's say I got MMRR on March 4, I wouldn't be able to get it again until April 3. I could still do the other T1 attractions though until I've used them, so think MSFR or SDD at DHS (both of which would automatically block out availability after they're used, for 30 days). Other rides and attractions would remain available as they currently are and you would still be able to book three available attractions per day.

I believe something along these lines would definitely make it more fair and give more guests the chance to experience the attractions. You'd think it would be easy since it's all electronic already and linked to your Disney account. I know when passes are blocked out, they won't let you book, for example, this isn't much different, just specific to attractions. I'd require some technical work, but they're more than capable, I'm sure.

nickys

Premium Member
If repeat FP riders are an issue, you would think Disney would be able to track who has multiple FP reservations for the same attraction at any given time.

For example, MMRR just launched on FP+ today, they should immediately be able to know who booked it more than just once. My guess is that it might not be significant, otherwise, it's easily correctable and I would question why they don't already do something to curb it.

I think they could easily cap all guests to just one FP (each) for the most in demand rides every 30 days. I mean, we know the rides, but to mention them, FoP, Ratatouille, MMRR, RotR, MFSR, SDD, SDMT, possibly a couple others. What I'm talking about is not a guaranteed FP to these rides, but a guarantee that you can't ride them twice within 30 days using FP (and the same magic band, since some people swap bands; a loophole). Then, if someone wanted to ride it two times or more in a 30 day period, they can do standby.

For example, let's say I got MMRR on March 4, I wouldn't be able to get it again until April 3. I could still do the other T1 attractions though until I've used them, so think MSFR or SDD at DHS (both of which would automatically block out availability after they're used, for 30 days). Other rides and attractions would remain available as they currently are and you would still be able to book three available attractions per day.

I believe something along these lines would definitely make it more fair and give more guests the chance to experience the attractions. You'd think it would be easy since it's all electronic already and linked to your Disney account. I know when passes are blocked out, they won't let you book, for example, this isn't much different, just specific to attractions. I'd require some technical work, but they're more than capable, I'm sure.

What about those who stay for two or three weeks? Not much incentive for longer onsite stays, is there? There aren’t enough rides to keep people at the parks if they can’t repeat an FP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom