Voyage of the Little Mermaid

Momx3

Original Poster
Where in the guide did you see this? -What page?...

I think the attraction has very little chance of closing, it's always packed when I head down. It's pretty old, maybe a refurb would do the trick.

The Unofficial Guide page 636. It is a little box called ,Behind the scenes with Jim Hill. It says "This live stage show will be closing for good sometime in 2007." It then goes on to talk about the Broadway thing.

Does anyone know why the Hunchback of Notre Dame show was shut down, and why Beauty and the Beast didn't go with it? They were both equally good shows.

AEfx

The Unofficial Guide page 636. It is a little box called ,Behind the scenes with Jim Hill. It says "This live stage show will be closing for good sometime in 2007." It then goes on to talk about the Broadway thing.

LOL, well there you have it. Question answered - Hilly boy is full of crap. The UG rep took a big beating when they let him add his little snippy "comments".

VotLM isn't going anywhere. The Broadway show in no way resembles it and it remains one of MGM's most popular family attractions (one of the few in the park).

AEfx

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
FYI
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/05/16/2407.aspx

Jim Hill said:
Whereas the MGM version of "Midway Madness" ... One of the main reasons that this new dark ride is being built on Mickey Avenue is that -- sometime in 2007 -- Mickey Avenue's other big attraction, the "Voyage of the Little Mermaid" stage show, will be closing.

Why For? Well, to be honest, for much the same reason that the "Tarzan Rocks!" stage show had to close at Disney's Animal Kingdom back in January. Because Disney Theatrical was prepping the Broadway version of "Tarzan" and they didn't want any authorized Disney "Tarzan"-themed productions out there that their new musical could be compared to.

Sooo ... Given that Disney Theatrical's version of "The Little Mermaid" is reportedly due to arrive on Broadway during the 2007 - 2008 season ... That's why MGM's "Voyage of the Little Mermaid" has to close sometime in 2007.

SDav10495

Nah, I think Jim Hill's logic doesn't hold up when you consider the WDW runs of "BatB" and "Lion King". "Tarzan Rocks" was closed to make way for an original show based on a much more beloved (and lucrative) film--it just makes sense. The "Tarzan" film has had nothing like the success of "Finding Nemo", and Disney made the smart move to freshen up that space with an original Nemo-themed project. Also makes for a decent test run if Disney has later Broadway ambitions, much as many suspect "Tarzan Rocks" was...

And no, sorry to say, "Tarzan" is actually not that popular on Broadway. It's doing about 65-70% business each week, which is respectable, but hardly "popular". It's true that shows can be met with mixed original reviews ("Phantom" or "Wicked") or not get all the Tonys they're expected to ("Wicked") and still be hugely successful, but such is not the case with "Tarzan". Its run thus far cannot be compared with the successes of those aforementioned shows ("Wicked" is still sold out almost four years after opening, and "Phantom" regularly does anywhere from 85-95% business a whopping two decades into its run). "Tarzan" has its fans, but generally just doesn't have the same word of mouth...not surprising, considering the source material isn't one of Disney's first-tier movies (though I enjoy it). Here's hoping for "Mermaid" to have greater success.

MickeyJman06

here is another of my statements:
if the are gonna remove an attraction at MGM, it has to
  1. takes up too much space
  2. hated with the critics
  3. but is not "Toy Story Mania"
VOTLM dosen't have any of this

I know it's a little off the subject, but a couple of people mentioned, on this board, that Tarzan isn't popular. I know it may SEEM like that because of the terrible reviews it got, but there are still many chances when a show gets bad reviews, or doesn't win many Tony's, and yet it is still very popular. Wicked, for example, didn't win many Tony's, and is still very popular on Broadway. There is a chance that The Little Mermaid: The Musical, may not win many Tonys (which I doubt) but it would still be awesome on Broadway. Just... don't say something negative about a show until you've seen it.

For the week of April 30th - May 6

Tarzan,
$481,165 Gross
68.3% Capacity, 7,212 Patrons
$66.72 Avg. Ticket Price

Wicked,
$1,384,931 Gross
100.0% Capacity, 14,472 Patrons
$95.70 Avg Ticket Price

(http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107893.html )

So if its pop-u-LAR we're talking about, there's not much of a comparison.

Figment82

Well perhaps if Disney had chosen a theatre that actually had good sightlines, and not the Richard Rodgers where if you sit in the back half of the orchestra you can't see most of the action taking place on stage...

Champion

Well perhaps if Disney had chosen a theatre that actually had good sightlines, and not the Richard Rodgers where if you sit in the back half of the orchestra you can't see most of the action taking place on stage...

They are working on the theatre situation. It might not be in time for Tarzan to move into it, though.

mkepcotmgmak

All I must say is, the two successful Broadway shows have shows in Disney World. And they're still doing just fine.

it's hard to compare the lion king and beauty and the beast's success on film, broadway and theme park shows to each other --- if it stands true that tarzan could've closed because of hill's reasoning, then that would never apply to lion king or batb as they were much popular on film than tarzan ever was.

i sort of understand this point... and this point applies to none of us on this site- let's say you went to wdw a few years ago for possibly the first or second time and watched Tarzan Rocks - then two years down the road you vacation in NY and plan to take in a broadway show - many people might make the assumption that what they saw in WDW would be similar to paying 60-200 bucks a ticket to watch the same thing or same principle show... so they might opt to spend that money on something they've heard great things about, like wicked... i can completely understand where they are coming from with this logic - but don't know how logical it actually is...?

VOTLM would be in the ranks with the lion king and batb, though - not tarzan--- but, imo - batb and voltm at MGM need MAJOR re-working. batb needs an enclosed theater with a new script and stage effects, as votlm needs a new script, new effects and longer show-time (if it sticks around :animwink:)

*off topic* - did anyone catch SNL tonight with Molly Shannon reprising some of her greatest characters? I KICK, I STRETCH and I KICK - 'cause I'm 50!!!!!!!

SDav10495

but, imo - batb and voltm at MGM need MAJOR re-working. batb needs an enclosed theater with a new script and stage effects, as votlm needs a new script, new effects and longer show-time (if it sticks around :animwink:)

Agreed. Have there been any past plans to work on those? I wouldn't expect them to do anything now, since those are two extremely popular attractions and MGM needs other fixes worse...but I wonder if re-tooling plans were ever in the works. Right now, "Nemo" at DAK puts a lot of WDW stage shows to shame, especially "BatB" and "VotLM", which both have the potential to be a lot more spectacular than they are.

ToTBellHop

All I must say is, the two successful Broadway shows have shows in Disney World. And they're still doing just fine.
Despite this, I do think they need to put in an ACTUAL Broadway style show at MGM--something in a nice enclosed theatre with special effects. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ltmd6uP2gqQ&mode=related&search= Can you imagine the lines it would get at MGM? It's still popular at the Annual Passholder haven at DCA after years with half of MGM's attendance. Not sure why Disney hasn't done this yet. It would be a sure hit and it could be easily marketed. And, as far as new attractions go, it's relatively cheap.

MickeyJman06

ok! here is the truth:
VOTLM has a fastpass and that keeps it open: no attractions i heard of closed with a fastpass (Fine Wwtbam-pi! in CA closed with a Fastpass, but that FP wasn't popular)
littlemermaidoutside.jpg

i like the timon sign:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom