Voyage of the Little Mermaid

Mecha Figment

it's hard to compare the lion king and beauty and the beast's success on film, broadway and theme park shows to each other --- if it stands true that tarzan could've closed because of hill's reasoning, then that would never apply to lion king or batb as they were much popular on film than tarzan ever was.

i sort of understand this point... and this point applies to none of us on this site- let's say you went to wdw a few years ago for possibly the first or second time and watched Tarzan Rocks - then two years down the road you vacation in NY and plan to take in a broadway show - many people might make the assumption that what they saw in WDW would be similar to paying 60-200 bucks a ticket to watch the same thing or same principle show... so they might opt to spend that money on something they've heard great things about, like wicked... i can completely understand where they are coming from with this logic - but don't know how logical it actually is...?

VOTLM would be in the ranks with the lion king and batb, though - not tarzan--- but, imo - batb and voltm at MGM need MAJOR re-working. batb needs an enclosed theater with a new script and stage effects, as votlm needs a new script, new effects and longer show-time (if it sticks around :animwink:)

*off topic* - did anyone catch SNL tonight with Molly Shannon reprising some of her greatest characters? I KICK, I STRETCH and I KICK - 'cause I'm 50!!!!!!!

Just for the record Volm use to be longer, but the show didn't work well longer. The show that is today is a well refined show due to years of script changes and continual performance changes There were several scenes proposed but from what i understand were cut because they just wouldn't work right.

Elphaba

broadway dosen't count in orlando, it's just if disney is having trouble with a show, the give it's final performance, like Beauty and the beast (broadway version):mad: i'm bored, i'm gonna stop typing this

I agree that broadway doesn't count in orlando, but Beauty and the Beast performs to nearly 85 % capacity every week, so it's hardly a fiscal burden on WDTP, They are closing it down so the Little Mermaid can move into the Lunt-Fontaine theatre in the fall. 5 Disney shows running at the same time just seems a bit crazy, even for a Disney theatrics buff like me.

Elphaba

As much as I hate to admit it, he may actually be right on this one....

If he was right, then why did Disney run a stage show at MGM of Beauty and the Beast while running the production on Broadway, and the same with the Lion King on Broadway and at AK. You really can't compare the 2 different sets of shows at all, otherwise the stage shows at the parks would all be shut down due to the powehouse spectacles that are the Broadway productions

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If he was right, then why did Disney run a stage show at MGM of Beauty and the Beast while running the production on Broadway, and the same with the Lion King on Broadway and at AK. You really can't compare the 2 different sets of shows at all, otherwise the stage shows at the parks would all be shut down due to the powehouse spectacles that are the Broadway productions

Evidently you neglected to acknowledge the word "may" in my post. :shrug:

bgraham34

This was always one of my favorite shows in the park. I did like the longer version of it though. I never miss it when i am at the studios.

kucarachi

Time For a change!

Lets face it. If anybody here thinks the current version of Voyage is on par with some of the newer shows they'd be lying. How does it compare to Nemo, B&TB, Lion King and even the now defunct Tarzan. In a world of 4-D, its 2D's behind its time. To me the only reason any more to see it after the first 2 to 3 times is to get a nice breeze and relaxation from the sun. We all love the hippie black lighting and dancing fishies, but do we really need to see stock footage of a 18 year old cartoon, right next to state of the art ToT and Aerosmith rides. Yeah i understand nostalagia and you gotta hold on to the past, but you also must step into the future. And i am pretty open to doing all the things that guys dont want to, but you have to add a little more excitement for young boys. My newphew is already telling me he doesnt want to go see this because its for girls. No child today is as interested in this as they are in the pixar versions. Why not incorperate some of phil harmagic 4-D technology into the now mid 80ish mermaid show. Personaly it feels like your in somebodys basement where it should be bright and cheery like the colors of the nemo movie!

ToTBellHop

MGM desperately needs a good Anne Hamburger show. Of all the parks, it should have been the FIRST to get one of these fantastic shows (let's give her a break on Snow White...at least that was short-lived. Aladdin and Nemo, on the other hand, are fantastic). There are plenty of untapped Disney classics that could use a stage show. I'd like to see Peter Pan on stage. It has some room for great special effects and it's a great story that can easily be told in 20-30 minutes (Peter Pan's Flight does a good job of telling it in only 90-seconds). Some of the Pixar movies (which I know Disney would favor) are just too dense for the stage. You couldn't really put the Incredibles in a 30 minute show--it'd either have major scenes cut or seem rushed. While I love VotLM, it both has major scenes cut and is rushed (the entire 2nd half of the story is told in about 45 seconds). That said, I'd rather see them enclose the old Hunchback theatre and put a great show back there to disperse the MGM crowds better.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Lets face it. If anybody here thinks the current version of Voyage is on par with some of the newer shows they'd be lying. How does it compare to Nemo, B&TB, Lion King and even the now defunct Tarzan. In a world of 4-D, its 2D's behind its time. To me the only reason any more to see it after the first 2 to 3 times is to get a nice breeze and relaxation from the sun. We all love the hippie black lighting and dancing fishies, but do we really need to see stock footage of a 18 year old cartoon, right next to state of the art ToT and Aerosmith rides. Yeah i understand nostalagia and you gotta hold on to the past, but you also must step into the future. And i am pretty open to doing all the things that guys dont want to, but you have to add a little more excitement for young boys. My newphew is already telling me he doesnt want to go see this because its for girls. No child today is as interested in this as they are in the pixar versions. Why not incorperate some of phil harmagic 4-D technology into the now mid 80ish mermaid show. Personaly it feels like your in somebodys basement where it should be bright and cheery like the colors of the nemo movie!

I personaly feel that Voyage is ten times better than the Nemo show. The music is better, the special effects are better, and I frankly like the movie better than Nemo. Dont get me wrong, Nemo is a good movie and had a good story, etc, but I think the stage performance was ho hum at best. I think Festival of the Lion King is still the best show on property, but in my opinion, Voyage tops Nemo, big time.

VintageKid21

All the talks of musical theatre and the theme parks shows has got my mind in the path of theatre today (not to mention that Tony Nominations were released this morning, you're a winner in my book Ashley Brown!). Anyways, I don't know if anyone remembers "On The Record" the Disney Revue that toured the nation for 8 or 9 months in 2005, anyways, the show is wonderful and full of music that EVERYONE knows (the soundtrack is almost always playing in my car). This would be a WONDERFUL addition to the studios and encompasses nearly every Disney song and movie and even park attractions in it joyous romp through Disney Music. Another idea floating through my head here is since BATB is closing on broadway...why not either; condense it and bring it into the parks OR bring forth the seperate ticket theatrical event at the Studios and open it permanantly in Orlando, and the draw, much like Broadway, bring in stars to play Belle, the Beast, etc. (this will even bring in the locals).

Ok, I think I am done with my brainstorming. But I do have another thing to add, if you think you are going to see anything like VOLTM or anything resembling the movie on stage....you have another thing coming, and I am not sure how the theatrical crowd is going to react to this one, even I am more than skeptic.

beachclubbasics

I didn't say they were moving Tarzan. In fact, I said what they are working on might be too late for Tarzan to move there ...

THe Lion King is closing so don't be surprised if Tarzan moves into that theater.

My BF is in the running to play King Triton. He said that from what he understands the show will be choreograhed in a combination of VOTLM and the Disney Sea version. Areil will be set up simialr tothe Disney Sea one (the swinging high gear) while Trition will be more like Areil in the VOTLM....more just stuck to a throne or sitting in his chariot i(though that could change as he has been asked if he has any height issues.

jonesenon4

:sohappy: don't know if this has been mentioned i skipped a few pages but here's another thought.i'm sure most of you have seen the new release of the little mermaid dvd, well there is a section about a little mermaid ride that looks great. like others have said mgm could use more rides and this would be a perfect fit,imo much better than a show. next trip oct 7 > oct 10 :sohappy:

kungaloosh

JML42691

wait...FESTIVAL OF THE LION KING IS CLOSING!? Where is this???:(
I doubt that they would close Festival of the Lion King, they may be referring to the Lion King show in the Land that does not seem to attract all that many people. It would make no sense to close FOTLK, there does not seem to be any major reason to why, that part of the park has so little to offer and taking out FOTLK would leave that part of the park nearly empty. Everytime that I see it, it is completely full and the show is just simply amazing.

The only time that I think that we will see any type of change to the show is when they move it to Africa to start Beastly Kingdom:D ;)

JimboJones123

Broadway show dates are already starting to sell out. So Mermaid may have some legs left in her after all (Sorry, that was stupid). Also I just wanted to boast that we have OPENING NIGHT TICKETS for November 3rd. AWESOME!!! Anybody else have tix for the Broadway show yet?

raven

Broadway show dates are already starting to sell out. So Mermaid may have some legs left in her after all (Sorry, that was stupid). Also I just wanted to boast that we have OPENING NIGHT TICKETS for November 3rd. AWESOME!!! Anybody else have tix for the Broadway show yet?

No, not sell out, just sold. The Broadway production just started to sell tickets to the show. Don't get everyone believing it's sold out, lol!

I am seeing it in July in Denver where it is previewing before going to NY. Kinda weird that they are using Heelys on stage! But it should be very good with Sherie Rene Scott as Ursula.

PKD

Nov 3rd is a preview night and the offical opening date is Dec 6. Congrats on getting tickets to the "first" performance, preview or not!!

DroPZ0nE25

For the week of April 30th - May 6

Tarzan,
$481,165 Gross
68.3% Capacity, 7,212 Patrons
$66.72 Avg. Ticket Price

Wicked,
$1,384,931 Gross
100.0% Capacity, 14,472 Patrons
$95.70 Avg Ticket Price

(http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107893.html )

So if its pop-u-LAR we're talking about, there's not much of a comparison.

I like the usage of pop-u-LAr. MAde me laugh alittle inside. If you saw wicked or listeend to the cd you would know what I am talking about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom