Voyage of the Little Mermaid

Piebald

It's not closing. It's very popular still.

If anything is closing in the area, it would be Playhouse Disney Live on Stage. Originally they were going to incorporate Little Einsteins and take out the Stanley segment. Well, this was supposed to happen in May and there is now a rumor that this idea was scrapped because in January they plan to totally re-do the show (perhaps even scrapping Bear in the Big Blue House). The rumors also call for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse to come in and use the articulated heads (except for some reason only using Mickey and Donald).

the-reason14

I doubt'll it go anywhere, but like some others said, it could use an update. And from what I understand the show has been cutback from what it was as far as a few scenes and effects are concerned, maybe they could rehab it and bring these lost effects back.

Kman101

I think Playhouse Disney is a good idea for the really youngsters who love those characters, but I think a simple meet and greet area would work. A Mickey Mouse Clubhouse type stage show could be more of a draw, IMO.

I was at MGM several times last week and always missed Playhouse Disney. Just where is the stage located? LOL. I was all over that park and never saw it.

DisneyChik17

How about they put that stupid HSM Pep Rally thing in the VotLM theater. That way, those who don't want to be subjected to HSM don't have to be. Oh how I loath HSM.

Joepic

Where in the guide did you see this? -What page?...

I think the attraction has very little chance of closing, it's always packed when I head down. It's pretty old, maybe a refurb would do the trick.

Rachael83

There was a small rumor circulating last summer that VOLM would be closed in January for refurb.. that never happened either...

How about they put that stupid HSM Pep Rally thing in the VotLM theater. That way, those who don't want to be subjected to HSM don't have to be. Oh how I loath HSM.

Hehehe...while we were there last week, the AT-AT at Star Tours shot at the HSM Pep Rally every time it went by (which was way more often than I would have liked)...it made me laugh every time.

I saw VotLM for the first time last week - it was okay, but I was kind of surprised by the show. The opening sequence was FANTASTIC, and everything I expect at Disney...but then after that, it flaked out (my opinion only). It was a very attractive but only mediocre-voiced Ariel sitting (with very limited movement) on a rock, singing short blurbs of songs that I could just listen to in the movie itself...and then they rushed through the story so quickly that it was done before it started. (FWIW, I also saw Beauty and the Beast and Nemo: the Musical for the first time this past week, and while there were definite jumps in the story, I didn't feel they suffered from this same issue).

I thought it COULD be a great show, some of the effects were really neat, but it was not a typical disney show to me in that the best number came first, instead of last. So I hope they don't get rid of it, but I also hope they update it.

disneytopdog

If they are going to close a show at MGM....SHUT DOWN that horrible waste of time "Sounds Dangerous" Thats 25 minutes of my life that I really wish I could get back!!!!!:brick:

CThaddeus

If they are going to close a show at MGM....SHUT DOWN that horrible waste of time "Sounds Dangerous" Thats 25 minutes of my life that I really wish I could get back!!!!!:brick:

I still don't get why some people hate this show so much. True, the queue video needs to be updated and Soundsations is kind of dated, but the actual Sounds Dangerous show is something I always look forward to at Disney-MGM. I wish I could get back the 1 hour plus I wasted on LMA, though.

MickeyJman06

then again, i hated tarzan rocks but i loved VOTLM,
but it's a rumor, heres why tarzan rocks! reopened as Finding Nemo
expedition everest was nearby and the screaming was gonna ruin the show and finding nemo was gaining more popularity than Tarzan so i think thats why:veryconfu
broadway dosen't count in orlando, it's just if disney is having trouble with a show, the give it's final performance, like Beauty and the beast (broadway version):mad: i'm bored, i'm gonna stop typing this

speck76

I just read in the Unofficial guide that there is talk of closing the Voyage of the Little mermaid. Is this true? My daughter is crazy about Ariel and would be bummed if this goes away.

well...."WE" have talked about it (with no basis in reality, and no insider knowledge) so technically speaking, yes, there has been talk about it closing.

BSikor

VOTLM just needs a little TLC. Some new or updated effects. I saw it the other day for the first time since it opened and it shows its age.

Still not a bad show.

493204849_5c889fe77c.jpg

What about the abandoned ABC theater/Doug Live!/SuperStar Television?

I wish I could get back the 1 hour plus I wasted on LMA, though.

Okay, maybe I'm slow... LMA?

culturenthrills

I wouldn't mind if they closed the show but it was replaced with the Disney Sea Little Mermaid show. Everyone I know who has seen that show says it is amazing. Since DAK got Finding Nemo maybe it is time for the Studios to replace this show or BATB. They have ran too long and are one of the many reasons why this park is so stale.

IcicleM

I know it's a little off the subject, but a couple of people mentioned, on this board, that Tarzan isn't popular. I know it may SEEM like that because of the terrible reviews it got, but there are still many chances when a show gets bad reviews, or doesn't win many Tony's, and yet it is still very popular. Wicked, for example, didn't win many Tony's, and is still very popular on Broadway. There is a chance that The Little Mermaid: The Musical, may not win many Tonys (which I doubt) but it would still be awesome on Broadway. Just... don't say something negative about a show until you've seen it.

Now, back ON subject:

I LOVE Voyage of the Little Mermaid, but if they brought it down, they should do some extreme amounts of reconstruction to the show, and put on a brand new performance. With the technology we have, now, Ursula could be improved, and the stage could be made bigger, etc. etc. I love some of the effects they have now, with the fog and lasers, so I would want those to stay, but I think if they gave us an even better show, then kids would really love it.

The problem with trying to turn it into the Tokyo DisneySea show, might be the fact that they would encounter the issue of it being too Broadwayesque. The Disney broadway shows are beautiful, but almost too beautiful for what kids will recognize as their favorite characters. That's why Beauty and the Beast, in MGM, still has those gaudy big puppets, and the Beast doesn't have amazing make-up. It's also why most of the shadow-costuming of the Finding Nemo cast is very simple. It's so they don't have to spend all day getting in and out of make-up just so they can do one or two shows a day.

Now I'm not saying that DisneySea has those problems, necessarily, but I will say that sometimes, giving a park its own original show makes it just that: Original.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom