Voyage of the Little Mermaid show

Scar Junior

With all this talk of other Broadway shows, I thought I'd chime in:
I find it odd that the director of Mermaid is also working on a broadway version of The First Wives Club. That's weird to me for a number of reasons....

Legacy

Scar Junior said:
With all this talk of other Broadway shows, I thought I'd chime in:
I find it odd that the director of Mermaid is also working on a broadway version of The First Wives Club. That's weird to me for a number of reasons....
They're doing some off the wall Broadway adaptations now, that's for sure.

My Cousin Vinny is coming...

raven

Taylor Dane also played Amnaris and Mickey Dolenz (The Monkeys) played Zoser as well at one time on Broadway. I as well played Zoser in a local production. AIDA was one of my favorites yet.

JeffH

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Imaginationeer
This show isn't going anywhere, in fact ive heard it is closing in September 2007 to add new effects that will be used in FNM at Animal Kingdom. Also, this is perhaps the most popular show in all of WDW.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Chape19714 said:
The Most pupular show is currently Festival of the Lion King...
I would think that Imaginationeer was referring to the number of people who see the show. With constant FULL shows running all day every day, compared to the 4 or 5 shows worth of people the FotLK sees, TLM is seen by more people than all the other live shows at WDW. The only other (non-live) show that would probably beat the crowd seen by TLM each day is probably Mickey's Philharmagic.
I wonder which attraction at WDW sees the most people pass through it each day?

Chape19714

Spaceship Earth is the most popular ride.

Lion King holds 1,375 people. At about 7-8 shows per day. So, take 7. 7x1375=9625. That's a great deal of people. I'm sure Mermaid comes close, but because it's not as new as FotLK, it probally dosn't bring in that many people. I don't know exact figures. Almost every FotLK preformance fills, while many shows at Mermaid run at 3/4 or even 1/2 capicity, espically in the late afternoon.

PintoColvig

We never miss VotLM when we visit. It's not the best show though. And if you haven't seen the movie, the show itself doesn't come across very well. That's what some of my family members said after seeing it in May. I'd be okay with it closing for improvements to the show or being replaced with a better show/attraction. Don't see it happening anytime soon, though.

JEDIsney

Chape19714 said:
it has been for quite a while now. That stat is a bit older, but I believe it's still true.
I didn't know that, and I wouldn't have guessed it either. But it makes me so happy to hear that!

Chape19714 said:
Toni Braxton played Belle when B&tB was at the Palace theatre from Sep 9, 1998-circa. 1999.

I am the biggest NON Tony Braxton fan perhaps on the planet...if I heard "Unbreak my Heart" one more time, I literally could've put my fist through a wall.

But I LOVE the song they wrote for her, "Change in Me?" I first heard it in Disney's ON the Record musical, since Change in Me isn't on the original Beauty and the Beast album. LOVE IT!

AND the lead from ON the Record who sang Belle's song is now Belle on Broadway. Loved her.

Can't wait for Mary Poppins....

BTW, loved Heather Headley in Aida. Loved Adam Pascal. Not the biggest fan of Cherie Renee Scott. Much preferred the touring cast's Amneris, who was Scott's understudy on Bway. Anyone else?

GenieGirl

I have heard rumors that the show is going down (VOLM) for a couple of months in Jan/Feb to have some much needed maintenance done on the venue. At least, that is what mgmt has said.....

raven

amykissangel said:
BTW, loved Heather Headley in Aida. Loved Adam Pascal. Not the biggest fan of Cherie Renee Scott. Much preferred the touring cast's Amneris, who was Scott's understudy on Bway. Anyone else?

HUGE Headley fan here and I met her about 3 months ago at a local charity function. I've been watching Sherrie Rene' Scott since The Who's Tommy but also liked the touring Amneris better from the first national tour. I believe she was the original understudy to Sherrie before she did the tour but her name escapes me until I find the program.

Chickapin Chick

amykissangel said:
I am the biggest NON Tony Braxton fan perhaps on the planet...if I heard "Unbreak my Heart" one more time, I literally could've put my fist through a wall.

But I LOVE the song they wrote for her, "Change in Me?" I first heard it in Disney's ON the Record musical, since Change in Me isn't on the original Beauty and the Beast album. LOVE IT!

AND the lead from ON the Record who sang Belle's song is now Belle on Broadway. Loved her.
Ugh, I cannot agree with you more regarding Toni Braxton. I managed to get my hands on a recording of her as Belle, and I thought her performance was dreadful. Not to mention the costumes they redesigned for her. The blue dress was modified, and I believe the final gold ball gown for the finale looked like a junior high school prom dress. The only reason I can think of was that Braxton demanded they be changed, because the costume variations haven't been seen on stage since.

But, as you said, the one bright spot was the addition of "A Change in Me." It's very difficult to sing. I preparing to audition for a regional production of "Beauty and the Beast," and "A Change in Me" Is my biggest obstacle yet. Awesome song, but a huge obstacle nonetheless.

Ashley Brown sings "A Change in Me" in "On the Record." She actually left "Beauty and the Beast" recently, and is going to star as Mary Poppins on Broadway in the fall. I can't wait to see that.

As for "Voyage of the Little Mermaid," I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon. I always enjoy it when I visit WDW. It is a bit disjointed ("Under the Sea" opens the show, correct?). However, the combination of puppetry, animation, and live actors make for a very entertaining break from the Florida sun. My only gripe with the show is Prince Eric. It is way too obvious that the actor who plays him is lip-synching to a pre-recorded voice track at the end. I could be wrong. Maybe all that water from traveling down to the sea is clogging my ears. But I seem to recall a huge audio discrepancy between the actress who plays Ariel and Eric when they reunite during the finale.

Scar Junior

TheLittleMerman said:
The Broadway version of The Little Mermaid has been in production for quite some time, actually.

Here's a link to a few mp3's from the show: http://disneylove.com/Media/music/littlemermaidbroadway.html

"If Only" is quite a fabulous song, in my humble opinion. It's too bad it wasn't included in the film itself.

*tlm

Timewise it may be coming along, but according to the director... most things are up in the air (ie. the look of the show, casting, etc.) She is, however, very excited for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom