Voyage of the Little Mermaid show

Chape19714

Ya, Gloria I believe was her 1st name. The sceduling came in just perfect as we rehearsed about 1.5 hours after the last Tarzan ended, more than enough time to get out of costume and get to Epcot. She was very tall with black hair, I believe. I could be wrong on that.

barnum42

eightieschild said:
Were the band in Tarzan Rocks really live? I have video of the lead guitarist, and what he's playing doesn't match up with what's heard.
They are live - what video do you have? Depending on the cutting things may not match up.

I made a video that is now floating around online where for the most part I used the sound from one single show then cut in video from performances of other shows. Because of the differences in the way musicians interpret the music, especially solo guitar riffs, there are places where they don't match perfectly. Also an editor could insert a shot of a musician playing a different part becuase it looks right for the scene or covers a spot where there is no suitable image.

Elphaba

Lol, it seems disney is taking over Broadway, with Mary Poppins opening in the fall, they'll have 4 shows running. It's true that Tarzan got bad reviews, but I've seen it twice and it is amazing that these actors can do. It's so far from a typical broadway show, and I think that's what caused the mixed reviews. But the show is very popular and is playing to sold out audiences even during the week, with the Lion King and Beauty and the Beast doing the same. They are currently working on a 2 week little mermaid production workshop to see if the staff has enough of a creative edge to make it magical. I would love to see it make it's way to time square, although we might need to re-name it disney square. As for mermaid at the studios, I don't think it'll be going anywhere anytime soon, it's a favorite of many of the park guests and to take it away just because the mermaid's coming to nyc just seems silly

Legacy

Chape19714 said:
Ya, Gloria I believe was her 1st name. The sceduling came in just perfect as we rehearsed about 1.5 hours after the last Tarzan ended, more than enough time to get out of costume and get to Epcot. She was very tall with black hair, I believe. I could be wrong on that.
Yep... that's her. I went to school with her son.

Scar Junior

Well, Little Mermaid on Broadway is not a rumor. I have a source who has given me tons of info on it. He's been offered first refusal as the role of sebastian. There is another thread I started where I give info about it.
Edit: Oh yeah, the director is a genius.

JEDIsney

I'm really looking foward to seeing The Little Mermaid on Broadway, I've been really excited ever since I first heard about it.

But like everybody else has already said, there's no reason to close VoLM.

raven

Both The Little Mermaid and Aladdin have been recently mentioned on a few entertainment websites about a possible Broadway tenure but Mermaid has been in talks for years. Doubt they will close the attraction though because it will be very different then the one at the park, much like the other ones as well (B&B, Lion King & Tarzan). Music Theatre International (MTI) has also recently released rights for shortened versions of 101 Dalmations, The Jungle Book and Aladdin for younger grade school ages to perform.

rbrower

Just a question, but wasn't there another Disney show on Broadway at some time? I don't think that it was based on a Disney movie and I think that the title started with an A.

Chape19714

rbrower said:
Just a question, but wasn't there another Disney show on Broadway at some time? I don't think that it was based on a Disney movie and I think that the title started with an A.
"Aida" with Music and lyrics by Elton John and Tim Rice.

Heather Headly from the Lion King on Broadway (nala) played the title role.

Chape19714

Toni Braxton played Aida from June 30, 2003-November 16, 2003.

Heather Headly was in the Opening Night Cast. She still plays Nala in The Lion King. Aida ran from March 23, 2000 until September 5, 2004 with a run of 1,852 preformances.

S.E.A.

didn't Toni Braxton also play Belle in Beauty and the Beast at one point?

anyway, I'm kind of surprised that not a lot of people know of the Little Mermaid coming to Broadway soon, Alan Menken has already previewed some of the new songs in events. The show has been officially announced for quite a while now.

Scar Junior

S.E.A. said:

anyway, I'm kind of surprised that not a lot of people know of the Little Mermaid coming to Broadway soon, Alan Menken has already previewed some of the new songs in events. The show has been officially announced for quite a while now.

Well, it will still be a while. You'd be surprised how few of things are developed. The production has a looooong way to go.

Chape19714

S.E.A. said:

Toni Braxton played Belle when B&tB was at the Palace theatre from Sep 9, 1998-circa. 1999.

JEDIsney

Chape19714 said:
Heather Headly was in the Opening Night Cast. She still plays Nala in The Lion King. Aida ran from March 23, 2000 until September 5, 2004 with a run of 1,852 preformances.
After seeing the Lion King on Broadway in October (took long enough), I decided that my favorite actors in the show were the women who played Nala and Rafiki. I haven't looked at the Playbill since then, but thanks for pointing out Heather Headly, because she was great.

Oh, and I was right about Michelle Williams following Braxton as Aida. It was bothering me, I couldn't remember if she did or not, so I had to check it out.

Chape19714

JEDIsney said:
After seeing the Lion King on Broadway in October (took long enough), I decided that my favorite actors in the show were the women who played Nala and Rafiki. I haven't looked at the Playbill since then, but thanks for pointing out Heather Headly, because she was great.

Oh, and I was right about Michelle Williams following Braxton as Aida. It was bothering me, I couldn't remember if she did or not, so I had to check it out.
Tshidi Manye probally played Rafiki around October. Don't feel so bad, I've still not seen it.

JEDIsney

Chape19714 said:
Tshidi Manye probally played Rafiki around October. Don't feel so bad, I've still not seen it.
Thanks for the name, she was hilarious and perfect.

It's worth the trip! Or if you're ever up here, definitely check it out. Beauty and the Beast, too, if you haven't already seen it.

Legacy

JEDIsney said:
Thanks for the name, she was hilarious and perfect.

It's worth the trip! Or if you're ever up here, definitely check it out. Beauty and the Beast, too, if you haven't already seen it.
It's still on my list... but not very high.

The Wedding Singer is a must see though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom