Voting lines, experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

prberk

Original Poster
Well, I have my "I voted" sticker! I voted this morning before work. I got there around 5:45, and was done by 6:20. (Polls opened at 6 a.m. here in Virginia.) It was a little longer line than I had expected, given the history at my precinct. So, at least where I was it was a heavy turnout so far. (Kind of surprised me, actually; even as contentious as this election season has been, or maybe because of it, some part of me expected a lot of people to stay home from not liking any of the candidates.)

After that, since I did not have to be at work until 8:30, I chose to go to Krispy Kreme and buy a dozen donuts for my co-workers. Turns out that they have an Election Special going on: one free (or extra) donut for people wearing "I voted" stickers. So I got an extra one!

Then on the way to work (about 7:30 by now), I passed another polling place, which had a major highway backed up for about a half mile to turn in.

For Americans voting today (especially), I made this thread to share about the experience (NOT whom you voted for). Let's keep the politics out of it, but share your experiences at the polling places.

I would love to hear also the mechanism your locality used, just for curiosity. Ours used a paper ballot with fill-in ovals. They do that rather than an electronic ballot because it provides a good backup for re-counting later.

Sans Souci

I just voted.

I recently moved to the Marlton/Cherry Hill/Voorhees area of Camden County, NJ. from Illinois, so some things were new to me. :)

It took me about a half an hour. It wasn't too busy, but it seemed like every one in my district came out to vote at the same time and there were only two election judges and two voting booths--the line crawled. I'd hate to see what it will be like when the work day is over.

I was surprised at how close candidates could electioneer to the entrance of the polling station.

This was the first time I used an electronic ballot. I, too, am used to the "scantron" type ballots.

ETA: I finally got a "I voted today." sticker! In all of my years of voting in Illinois. I never got one. I think the county I lived in was too cheap to spring for them!

Last edited:

Nemo14

Just got back - no line really but a steady stream. Apparently it had been quite busy earlier when the polls opened, but the nice part of retirement is that we can go when we choose, so we figured mid-morning would be better. Anyway, we had yet another new system today - filling in the circles like the old standardized tests we took back in the day. The last system we had was kind of a connect the dot thing. Also, Rhode Island finally took the "master lever" option away which allowed people to vote straight Republican or straight Democrat, so I really liked that. I've always voted on the merits of each candidate, but I know I have relatives who wouldn't consider a candidate if he or she wasn't affiliated with their chosen party.

I know this has been the most divisive campaign in recent history, and it's my sincere hope and prayer that whatever the outcome today, that our country can find a way to heal and get on with our role in this world.

PUSH

I was in line before the polls opened at 7. There was a good amount of people. We have two voting areas in town, although one is dedicated mostly to students living on campus at the college. As usual the people working the polls seemed confused as to what procedure they're supposed to use to give us our ballots.

Simba's Mom

We voted around 10:30 this morning (the joys of being retired!). There was a short line of about 8 people in front of us, and I was kind of surprised that here in Texas, anyways, they seem more concerned about ID than in previous years. We had to show our driver's license, don't know what happens if you don't have one, and the guy in front of me had moved from one precinct to another (but still in our city) and he was in the process of signing a bunch of documents when a booth was ready.

epcotisbest

Did early voting last week and it was nice to be able to drive up, go in, vote and be out of there in less than 10 minutes.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I too am a big fan of early voting. I went on Saturday afternoon 2 weekends ago and while there were 100+ people ahead of me the whole process took less than 25 minutes 'til I was pulling out of the lot. I've always been a fan of early voting to avoid having any unexpected distraction prevent me from voting on official election day.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

I too am a big fan of early voting. I went on Saturday afternoon 2 weekends ago and while there were 100+ people ahead of me the whole process took less than 25 minutes 'til I was pulling out of the lot. I've always been a fan of early voting to avoid having any unexpected distraction prevent me from voting on office election day.

Yes early voting is a good thing. My wife has been very sick, some kind of stomach bug. We spent all morning today at the Dr. office, then they did all kinds of lab work and administered IV right there because she was dehydrated and that took quite a while. She is on antibiotics and will be fine, but a good part of the day at a Dr. office would have certainly interfered with voting plans.

G8rchamps

Took my lunch at 1 this afternoon- got to poll at 1:15, first in line and 3 or 4 others voting, and back to work in 45 min round trip! They did say it was very busy early.

cjack300zx

I had a few people here (roanoke, VA) tell me the lines were really long this morning but we just got back and there were 2 people in front of us vote

The Mom

Premium Member
Walked over to vote around 3PM. and was back home by 3:20. There was a young woman next to me who was having an issue - she was at the wrong polling place. She wanted to vote near her workplace, rather than in her neighborhood. It's not as if we don't have early and absentee voting.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Walked over to vote around 3PM. and was back home by 3:20. There was a young woman next to me who was having an issue - she was at the wrong polling place. She wanted to vote near her workplace, rather than in her neighborhood. It's not as if we don't have early and absentee voting.

I had to walk in.. and realize right away I was in the wrong place. But that's because we have two schools literally right next to each other and both are polling stations :D

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Just got home about 10 minutes ago after voting. (I work all day, and had to wait until after work was over to vote this evening. Polls in my area of MA are open until 8:00 p.m.) It wasn't busy, but I was told that it was very busy earlier in the daytime. They ran out of those "I Voted" stickers, so I could not get one. :(

Goofyernmost

I voted the second day of early voting, about two weeks ago. The line although moving quite fast was at least 35 minutes long with about 100 people in it at all times. With parking, waiting and voting it took about 70 minutes. This was at around 10 am.
avote.jpg

It hard to see, but, line wraps around to the right past the trees and back to the door.

NYwdwfan

I went around 3:00 and there was nowhere to park so I figured I'd try again later and left. The school where I vote is just minutes from my house. I went back at 7:00 and although I had to park in the back of the lot I was still home by 7:30 and that includes the stop at Dunkin Donuts on the way home. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom