• Main Street USA #15

Votes: 21 23.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofette

Re: Sadness!

Originally posted by joefox97
I was going to post an entry, but I didn't have access to my school computer this weekend to post... oh well, I'm posting it for everyone to enjoy anyway, not as a competition this time.

Fox

Thanks for going ahead and putting it up for us to see, that would have been a GREAT entry! Hopefully you'll enter the next contest they have. I've really enjoyed seeing all the hard work you guys put into these.

Thanks Again

NowInc

Originally posted by Blizz
Alright, then do you happen to have any good web sites on Photoshop that I could visit to learn more? I wish I knew Photoshop better.....

The best tip i can give you is to PRACTICE. Tutorials are good and all, but they only teach you one particular technique.

I used to run a pretty popular photoshop tutorial site before I ran out of time for it...and it began to make me sad over the amount of people flat out just using the tutorials and never expanding on what tools were used.

About 3 months ago I was working on a series of Photoshop Training videos...i need to find a server to pop em on to, and then i'll share em. I WAS going to charge for em, but I dont have time to finish the series. (I recorded 57 out of a planned 140 videos). It covered everything from top to bottom..every function etc..each lesson ended with a "practical use" of each tool. It was a cool idea...at the time.

Each video is about 20 megs each (Camtasia works awesome for this type of thing)...i'll let you all know if/when i get em online.

joefox97

Originally posted by NowInc
The best tip i can give you is to PRACTICE. Tutorials are good and all, but they only teach you one particular technique.

I used to run a pretty popular photoshop tutorial site before I ran out of time for it...and it began to make me sad over the amount of people flat out just using the tutorials and never expanding on what tools were used.

About 3 months ago I was working on a series of Photoshop Training videos...i need to find a server to pop em on to, and then i'll share em. I WAS going to charge for em, but I dont have time to finish the series. (I recorded 57 out of a planned 140 videos). It covered everything from top to bottom..every function etc..each lesson ended with a "practical use" of each tool. It was a cool idea...at the time.

Each video is about 20 megs each (Camtasia works awesome for this type of thing)...i'll let you all know if/when i get em online.

What format are they in? Did you want to stream them?

I have a couple of possible options for you, send me an e-mail.

Joe

NowInc

Originally posted by joefox97
What format are they in? Did you want to stream them?

I have a couple of possible options for you, send me an e-mail.

Joe

AVI using a proprietary codec ideal for windows type tutorials..

streaming..nah..not needed..since im no longer planning on selling them ;)

Blizz

I would love to see them!

My problem is, I have a hard time with toutorals on Photoshop because I dont know what does what and where all the buttons are. I need like, Photoshop for Idiots!

NowInc

My problem is, I have a hard time with toutorals on Photoshop because I dont know what does what and where all the buttons are. I need like, Photoshop for Idiots!

Thus why the videos are good..cuz you can actually see in motion how things are done...

RU42

Originally posted by NowInc
i need to find a server to pop em on to, and then i'll share em.

If you find a home please let us know, I'd like to see them. I wonder if they can be placed on #Disney-Central

RU

CrashNet

Did someone say...tutorials??? :)

http://www.good-tutorials.com/

As Dan said, the best thing to do is PRACTICE. I promise it works. I have gotten better and better at photoshop and I just started using it less than a year ago. As for plugins...:hurl:

Just a waist of memory. Think about this...those plugins were originally created with the same basic tools that come with Photoshop. Wouldn't it just be better to learn how to do it and if you must, make your own plugins?;)

joefox97

Originally posted by cac2889
Just a waist of memory. Think about this...those plugins were originally created with the same basic tools that come with Photoshop. Wouldn't it just be better to learn how to do it and if you must, make your own plugins?;) [/B]

My take on this is: If Xenofex (or any other plugin) can do something, and do it easier, then why re-invent the wheel? I'm specifically talking about the lightning effect... from the way i t was described, it's several lines, you have to make the forks and jags yourself (which admittedly is difficult, but it is time-consuming), when you can just run a plugin? Is it better/worse to do something the easy way vs. the hard way?

Just a theory... :) Not bashing anyone's methods... to each their own, I'm just trying to learn how the art I enjoy looking at gets done.

Joe:cool:

NowInc

the problem with plugins is that the end result never varies THAT much. Meaning any graphic desginer out there can look at it and say "xenofex was used" . There is also an issue over the WRONG people using it. Such as a newbie who thinks they are "professional" because they can create an effect using a plugin. Personally..that bugs the hell out of me, especially since i work hard do create things that have genuine "heart" behind it, and hate to have someone who doesnt know better "overshadow" my work because they pirated a copy of eyecandy.

just a rant...sorry.

the videos I made only use one 3rd party plugin..and thats Kais power tools, only because it has better blur functions than that included with photoshop.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
and people said I was gonna win... ha! I told you! lol.. presently in 3rd place! I'm the Snapple of this contest

no2apprentice

Let me make it clear that I'm not trying to get any last minute votes or sway anyone who hasn't voted yet. I wanted to get this in before the contest was closed and the thread locked.

Since the contest will end soon, I just wanted to thank the two other persons who voted for my entry. I used my sons to help design the image, and they didn't think it was a big deal until they saw that the entry got more than just my vote. No need to acknowledge who you are, just wanted to let you know that you brought some smiles to some kids faces.

Thanks.:)

BTW, when I asked them if they wanted to help with a future contest, the oldest said, "No thanks. We don't need to. We're famous now." Kids. Gotta love 'em.

Main Street USA

Original Poster
Originally posted by no2apprentice
Let me make it clear that I'm not trying to get any last minute votes or sway anyone who hasn't voted yet. I wanted to get this in before the contest was closed and the thread locked.

Since the contest will end soon, I just wanted to thank the two other persons who voted for my entry. I used my sons to help design the image, and they didn't think it was a big deal until they saw that the entry got more than just my vote. No need to acknowledge who you are, just wanted to let you know that you brought some smiles to some kids faces.

Thanks.:)

BTW, when I asked them if they wanted to help with a future contest, the oldest said, "No thanks. We don't need to. We're famous now." Kids. Gotta love 'em.

Ha ha! That's awesome. That's what these contests are all about: bringing family together.:lookaroun

Seriously, though, that's cool that they helped. Hope to see your entry in the next contest.

Also, to everyone, I've trying to talk Steve into making the next contest another banner contest in order to get a new banner for the site. If I hear from him within the next few days, then the 3 people who win this contest will recieve their topic poll votes for the next wallpaper contest, which would follow. And another thing, because I'm the one who has all of the wdwmagic meet shirts, and will be mailing them out, I really don't have the need to give myself a free one. So, if I end up with the most votes, the SECOND PLACE winner of this contest will be recieving the free shirt.:)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by darthdarrel
OMG MSU is Winning again!:eek:
There has got to be something that he`s NOT good at! :lol:

bearing children!

Goofette

Suggestion

I sort of had a suggestion for the next contest, and wondered what you all thought about it:

Whoever is the winner of this contest, they still get to pick what they want for the next wallpaper like always (if that's how it's still done), but then, they have to sit out that contest. Then after that contest is over, they can join again, but the winner of it will have to sit out. Also, what about having it anonymous? This may be a terrible idea, but just a suggestion.

:wave:

tenchu

Re: Suggestion

Originally posted by Goofette
I sort of had a suggestion for the next contest, and wondered what you all thought about it:

Whoever is the winner of this contest, they still get to pick what they want for the next wallpaper like always (if that's how it's still done), but then, they have to sit out that contest. Then after that contest is over, they can join again, but the winner of it will have to sit out. Also, what about having it anonymous? This may be a terrible idea, but just a suggestion.

I like the idea of them being anonymous.

Good idea Goofette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom