Volcano Bay

Quinnmac000

I feel like they are going to lose a lot of the Tapu Tapu's, not because of theft, but because people will forget.

They really don't cost that much. like 12 bucks digital watch with RFID capability. Not enough to warrant a deposit but eventually I'm sure if they keep running out with people taking them, they will just add them to entrance fee.

hpyhnt 1000

They are really cutting it close with the May 25th grand opening.

Some things may not quite be finished.

I was just thinking that as I looked at some new aerials. Was really surprised to see a lot of areas with so much left to do, like the load platform of the water coaster and the trench for the lazy river. The volcano is looking pretty cool though, based on the completed area at the top.

http://mickeyxtreme.net/blog/latest-aerials-of-volcano-bay-at-universal-orlando

Even with the May 25th opening, realistically you'd want to have everything done and ready a few weeks prior for testing, softs, and media previews. They better hope for good weather over the next 90 days.

JT3000

Why? I ask the same question on Magic Bands as well, why would you want to buy them? I don't get it.

When I was younger we would keep putting one ski lift ticket over another and that was to show of where you have been and how many times you've skied that year. Pretty common but end of the season you throw those out. We wouldn't go purposely spend money on an extra one?

These objects serve a use and I just don't see why you would buy another one to put on a shelf or whatever you want to do with it?

A lot of souvenirs serve no purpose once you get home, other than being a trinket. That's never stopped people from buying them.

JoeCamel

A lot of souvenirs serve no purpose once you get home, other than being a trinket. That's never stopped people from buying them.

Adds to the bottom line. A grand tradition since the early days of train and car touring and even the ships to Europe. Is ingrained in the culture to buy crap to show you were there.

BrenRays

Why? I ask the same question on Magic Bands as well, why would you want to buy them? I don't get it.

When I was younger we would keep putting one ski lift ticket over another and that was to show of where you have been and how many times you've skied that year. Pretty common but end of the season you throw those out. We wouldn't go purposely spend money on an extra one?

These objects serve a use and I just don't see why you would buy another one to put on a shelf or whatever you want to do with it?
I've never bought a magicband. They send you one for free and you can pick the color and put your name on it. I'd want a taputapu because they're being recycled and I'm a germaphobe lol. And if they were at a reasonable price point, as an AP who goes often it'd just be cool to have your own and not worry about having to check one in and out.

mergatroid

As for the arguing about the interstate views, well to some they don't appear to matter and to others they do. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out, though the slides do look exciting and to some that may be the most important factor.

For me personally however, I love the 'secluded' feeling that Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach have by not being right next to a highway. Yes you can see the odd building in the distance from certain points, but you feel far removed enough from civilization to be completely immersed as though on a tropical island. Maybe you'll get this feeling in Volcano Bay on the ground, though I doubt it will feel the same at least not in the same relaxing sort of way?

As for arguing which is going to be the better of the water parks, again it appears to me it will depend on what sort of experience you're looking for as I think they'll be rather different. For those wanting faster, bigger water slides who aren't that bothered about seeing plastic and metal everywhere, then Volcano Bay may win. For those wanting a more serene, immersive and relaxing experience, then the Disney water parks may very well win? It's possible to give both water parks their merits and see they both have a great deal to offer.

JoeCamel

As for the arguing about the interstate views, well to some they don't appear to matter and to others they do. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out, though the slides do look exciting and to some that may be the most important factor.

For me personally however, I love the 'secluded' feeling that Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach have by not being right next to a highway. Yes you can see the odd building in the distance from certain points, but you feel far removed enough from civilization to be completely immersed as though on a tropical island. Maybe you'll get this feeling in Volcano Bay on the ground, though I doubt it will feel the same at least not in the same relaxing sort of way?

As for arguing which is going to be the better of the water parks, again it appears to me it will depend on what sort of experience you're looking for as I think they'll be rather different. For those wanting faster, bigger water slides who aren't that bothered about seeing plastic and metal everywhere, then Volcano Bay may win. For those wanting a more serene, immersive and relaxing experience, then the Disney water parks may very well win? It's possible to give both water parks their merits and see they both have a great deal to offer.

Ummm, in park dining, two story cabanas two lazy/swift rivers, nightly volcano show, tallest slide in the US along with water coaster, omni directional wave pool etc? (14 other slides!) I really don't think there will be a comparison in laid back, exciting or immersive experiences. DIS needs to up the game in 25 year old water parks and a kiddie slide just is not going to be enough for water park fans.

mergatroid

Ummm, in park dining, two story cabanas two lazy/swift rivers, nightly volcano show, tallest slide in the US along with water coaster, omni directional wave pool etc? (14 other slides!) I really don't think there will be a comparison in laid back, exciting or immersive experiences. DIS needs to up the game in 25 year old water parks and a kiddie slide just is not going to be enough for water park fans.

If that's how you feel then fair enough. I'm a bit confused by the use of a question mark though? My post clearly acknowledged the differences between the parks and explained that from my perspective I'd enjoy both but would probably prefer Disney's offerings and gave the reasons why. When I visit TL or BB I probably spend 80% of my time not on the actual water slides but rather enjoying the wave pool, the lazy rivers or just sitting and reading whilst everything goes on around me. Volcano Bay may offer more exciting slides but that's not the only reason I or many others go to water parks.

I'm actually looking forward to visiting Volcano Bay and trying it out, it's not a competition to me and if you feel it's going to be the better park then that's great. I love both Universal and Disney and I have no problem saying whichever park does certain things better, the more they compete the better it is for all of us as visitors.

Disneyhead'71

And disagee that the Disney parks will be more relaxing. Just because VB will have some large exciting slides doesn't mean the park won't have a serene relaxing feel. I'm thinking VB will have an almost DAK lushness. Everything I've seen makes me think that having a pretty chill day at VB would be pretty easy.

mergatroid

And disagee that the Disney parks will be more relaxing. Just because VB will have some large exciting slides doesn't mean the park won't have a serene relaxing feel. I'm thinking VB will have an almost DAK lushness. Everything I've seen makes me think that having a pretty chill day at VB would be pretty easy.

Well I sincerely hope you're right as that's what I'd love more than anything, again it's not a Disney vs Universal thing from me. The thing I've personally found is that the water parks where you have the 'outside world' close by such as Wet 'n' Wild don't have the feel of serenity that the Disney parks do. I've also always loved the way the majority of the Disney slides are built into the mountain rather than having plastic tubing showing. I realise that some of the Disney slides are clearly plastic tubing but from a distance they seem to blend in more with the background rather than stand out as separate structures. Hopefully when VB is complete it will be just as serene but right now looking at it's design and location it doesn't feel to me that it will be that way.

Looking at the positives, the volcano show should be great at night and some of the slides do look fast and exciting. I'm looking forward to going when it's open and trying the experience first hand, the better it is the more that works for me. I also think it will be great for those staying at the Universal hotels to walk over to it, very convenient and an extra park on what they have is always going to be a welcome addition.

Disneyhead'71

Well I sincerely hope you're right as that's what I'd love more than anything, again it's not a Disney vs Universal thing from me. The thing I've personally found is that the water parks where you have the 'outside world' close by such as Wet 'n' Wild don't have the feel of serenity that the Disney parks do. I've also always loved the way the majority of the Disney slides are built into the mountain rather than having plastic tubing showing. I realise that some of the Disney slides are clearly plastic tubing but from a distance they seem to blend in more with the background rather than stand out as separate structures. Hopefully when VB is complete it will be just as serene but right now looking at it's design and location it doesn't feel to me that it will be that way.

Looking at the positives, the volcano show should be great at night and some of the slides do look fast and exciting. I'm looking forward to going when it's open and trying the experience first hand, the better it is the more that works for me. I also think it will be great for those staying at the Universal hotels to walk over to it, very convenient and an extra park on what they have is always going to be a welcome addition.
VB will be nothing like Wet n Wild. Universal isn't spending $500+ million to move WnW a half a mile.

kare5625

I wonder if they are going to have only water rides.....I can not swim so I don't go on slides or anything so I wonder if it would be a waste to but a ticket or not

BubbaQuest

tapu-instructions.jpg

The video just released looks like the band is the Accesso Prism (based on shaped), but according to the info from the Uni website, you have to find a kiosk to reserve ride times, which means it's only a QBand?

More importantly the Uni website and video indicate nothing about Tap To Pay which is going to be a huge disappointment if not implemented. That's the best part of a wearable, no need for cash/wallet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom