Vinylmation Village 2010!

ohhector

Original Poster
My mother used to do the christmas village under the tree since I was young. She stopped maybe 5 years ago. I am on my own now and was putting up my christmas tree when I decided to make an attempt to bring back the christmas village tradition.

I purchased the two bigger buildings you see, and already had the photo one. The Vinylmations are mine, as are 80% of the green trees. The rest (various trinkets, bridge, ALL of the lighted items, snow blanket) were passed down from my mom. The monorail however, was just purchased on my last trip to Disney specifically for this purpose

I did this all in one night, so it's a little sloppy...I made many mistake but have already learned from them. Any tips/suggestions you might want to give, will be greatly appreciate. I love constructive criticism!

5237845945_158a1fe811_b.jpg

Overview of the village.

5237846011_9f6130f72f_b.jpg

Tree and village

5238441720_05f78ab201_b.jpg

My tribute to the Wilderness Lodge! Complete with bikes and added "security!" Annnnd the monorail actually stops at MY lodge ;)

snowpony

What a cute display!

I wish I could make something like that...unfortunately we have to deal with 3 cats who thing anything near or on the the Christmas tree is a cat toy. :ROFLOL:

Looks great! Monorail is a nice touch. Are the rumors true that there's a FL expansion planned? Can't wait to see it in a couple of years. :)

ohhector

Original Poster
Thank you all for the kind words!

I had initially planned to do a Playmobil themed village earlier in the year but then once I got the Vinylmations, those took over.

MissM

Very neat! I like the more traditional look with the Vinylmation mixed in. It makes it a lot of fun.

I totally want your "Wilderness Lodge" building though! :lol:

WDW-Crazy

So cool! Looks like they're selling monorail teal now. They were selling red (along with a few lime ones) when I was there back in September. I'm wondering what color they'll have next September when I go back. I didn't get another monorail set this past time since I bought the Contemporary add-on.

But anyways, I love your display. That tree with the colored lights looks like the one I have, as well as some of those small lamppost lights with the multi-lanterns on them. I'm assuming they're all Lemax pieces? I also love your tribute to the Wilderness Lodge!

CP_alum08

What a cute display!

I wish I could make something like that...unfortunately we have to deal with 3 cats who thing anything near or on the the Christmas tree is a cat toy. :ROFLOL:

Ha! We have 2...same thing with them. We end up putting some 'toys' (ornaments) close to the bottom in hopes they will play with those rather than climb the tree :ROFLOL:

OP - very fun idea. My goal for next year is to have the monorail set and have that going around the tree.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Not to hijack the thread (sorry, ohhector!), but I give you Catzilla:

picture.php

There is nothing Disney about our village (yet), but I would point out the total absence of ornaments from the lower branches of our tree. We don't hang any ornaments on about the lowest 8 inches of any of our trees (we put up five trees, and one of them is a Disney tree).

Our two kitties seem to be content with curling up underneath the trees, but we don't take any chances!

Phonedave

Nice job (on both)

Most years I set up a village, this year I don't think I will. Mine is not Disney, it's all Dept 56 (mostly New England Village series, with some Dicken's thrown in there as well). I have been setting it up for 14+ years now, and add to it most years.

One suggestion. Get rid of those snow 'blankets'. The are horrible to work with, nothing stands straight on them, and they fluff up too high. Assemble the whole thing on a solid base - I use while foam core and then styrofoam blocks to build in height. Fix any small things down with either tacky wax or break out the hot glue gun. Then when all is in place, use the shredded snow.

This is not the best example, because in this setup I used larger flake snow. I was not really happy with it. The finer stuff is better.

DSC02933.jpg

DSC02935.jpg

Of course if you are doing this on ground level under a tree, then the blanket may be your only option unless you want to be cleaning up snow all day long.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom