Vinylmation trading

TrevorA

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I hear that there are certain locations where you are able to trade Vinylmation figures with cast members out of a display case. I can't find any locations other than D-Street. Does anyone else have any info?

---TrevorA

klineski96

Hey Trevor,
Good question... and I'm surprised Vinylmation threads don't pop up more often.

My wife and I went to Animal Kingdom last weekend and stopped in at the big stores right in front of The Tree to each get a Vinylmation. Well, we ended up getting 2 each, here's why:

They are letting you trade Vinylmations at a couple of these stores behind a few of the registers. Here's how they explained the trading to us. Each participating register has three Vinylmations that are out on display. You can simply walk in and trade with them, one for one. But each store has one blacked out display case with 20 slots. Each slot with one Vinylmation. You can buy one in the stores (or walk in with your own) and open it there. If you don't like it, you can trade it for one of the 20... and if you don't like that one, you can trade it for one of the three that you can actually see.

So last weekend, we each picked one out, and actually got ones we had wanted. Then we were told how the trading works. We each saw one on display that we knew we liked, so we figured we could do no worse than getting those two. So we bought two more, hated them (Hamburger and Cookie Jar :hurl:) but traded them each for the ones on display that we liked!

They said this was being tested only at Animal Kingdom. We gave the store manager our positive feedback, we told him it caused us to each get two instead of each getting one, and we thanked the CM's for their help.

I have no idea if this will continue, if this is even still going on at AK... just sharing my experience from last weekend.

Now if you wanna trade with anyone here, there is a "Collectibles" forum on this website, or you can read the forums on:
http://www.vinylnation.net/

Finally, if you can get your hands on the Haunted Mansion "Creepy Wallpaper" Vinylmation... shoot me a pm and we'll talk more! lol :wave:

redfive13

This is going on all over the parks, not just in the AK. I saw this is all 4 parks, DTD and at the "Earport" store in the Orlando airport.

redfive13

Does anyone know how Vinylmation is doing? I'm assuming its a hit since they are pushing the heck out of it... does anyone know?

klineski96

This is going on all over the parks, not just in the AK. I saw this is all 4 parks, DTD and at the "Earport" store in the Orlando airport.

Thanks for the useful info redfive13... I look forward to being able to trade Vinylmations at multiple locations. :)

I was hoping they'd expand trading locations!

raven

Disney is hoping this will take off like pin trading did. Maybe it's just me but I can't see tons of people lugging around pvc figures on vacation anxious to trade. To each their own I guess. :shrug:

awalkinthepark

I wonder if they are trying to curb eBay sales? Part of the thrill of Vinylmation at the parks is the 'grab bag' factor....not knowing what you are going to get(yes I loved the grab bags at the everything under $10 store at DTD). My husband bought an entire case of Vinylmation for me for our anniversary last year and I have to confess.. I like buying one or two at the park,but there was no thrill about a sealed case of them...I already knew I was getting 2 of everything...the only mystery was the chaser figure..I was actually a chore to open them...I had to open them all because the kids were there....and they kind of lost the thrill once they caught on that there was going to be 2 of everything no matter what....

joe80x86

Is it just me or are most of the Vinylmation figures scary looking? I just don't know what it is about them I just don't find them cute.

foreverbelle

Good to know, my hubby and I have a few, but we often get the same ones, and while they make for great chew toys for our son :lol:, I know we would love to get rid of the duplicates.

Timekeeper

To clarify, how are the mickeys packaged into the cases (boxes that you grab an individual mickey from)? Are there 24, with exactly 2 of each from that particular 12-design series?

Also, is there any pattern to how they are arranged within each case? It seems to me that, in order for it to be completely mixed and randomized, a person would have to be part of the packaging process to "shuffle" them, as it would not be desirable to have a computer-based packaging process run a different packaging patter for each and every case.

Tk

dreamfinder

To clarify, how are the mickeys packaged into the cases (boxes that you grab an individual mickey from)? Are there 24, with exactly 2 of each from that particular 12-design series?

Also, is there any pattern to how they are arranged within each case? It seems to me that, in order for it to be completely mixed and randomized, a person would have to be part of the packaging process to "shuffle" them, as it would not be desirable to have a computer-based packaging process run a different packaging patter for each and every case.

Tk

I'm assuming you are referring to the cases of new figures. They are done pseudo randomly. Apparently the first series wasn't, but the newer ones are shuffled so you can no longer know. There aren't 2 of each. 10 figures have 2 per box, the chaser figure, has 1 per box, and then the filler figure has 3 per box. They have started changing the filler so that there is no longer just 1 figure that has an extra.

Also, some of the new series don't have 12 figures. But the same theory applies. Equal amounts except for the chasers and fillers.

It's not that hard to believe they have a certain packing process. Vinylmation are actually pretty organized compared to other blind box vinyl. Some series have different odds for every figure. I.E. the chaser is only 1 per 3 cases, so 1/72, with commons being more like 6/72. Since those vary so much, there has to be a method already in place to ensure the packing.

For the OP - there are the two types of boxes. Clear ones that should be at the register with 3 in them, and blacked out boxes that have 24 in them. The clear boxes should be at the registers of most stores that sell Vinylmation. The blacked out boxes are only at certain stores, and may not be out all the time. They are usually referred to as being magic moments. It's like the pin trading boards. If they have enough staff to staff it, then they may pull it out. The trading is something new, so many CM's are not fully aware of how it works, and not all stores will have the boxes.

bgraham34

That is really good to know. I wish I would have known that a few weeks ago. I might said a Friend to do a swap for me.

Timekeeper

Finally, if you can get your hands on the Haunted Mansion "Creepy Wallpaper" Vinylmation... shoot me a pm and we'll talk more! lol :wave:

Buy it now for $150 :brick:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DISNEY-VINYLMAT...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2306f8ae79

!BlncuigBGk~$(KGrHqQOKiYEtln4Og!7BLcZ8Tz)!Q~~_3.JPG

sittle

AM I the on;y one that doesn't get these things?

Sounds like it...

....They are letting you trade Vinylmations at a couple of these stores behind a few of the registers. Here's how they explained the trading to us. Each participating register has three Vinylmations that are out on display. You can simply walk in and trade with them, one for one. But each store has one blacked out display case with 20 slots. Each slot with one Vinylmation. You can buy one in the stores (or walk in with your own) and open it there. If you don't like it, you can trade it for one of the 20... and if you don't like that one, you can trade it for one of the three that you can actually see.

So last weekend, we each picked one out, and actually got ones we had wanted. Then we were told how the trading works. We each saw one on display that we knew we liked, so we figured we could do no worse than getting those two. So we bought two more, hated them (Hamburger and Cookie Jar :hurl:) but traded them each for the ones on display that we liked!

They said this was being tested only at Animal Kingdom. We gave the store manager our positive feedback, we told him it caused us to each get two instead of each getting one, and we thanked the CM's for their help.

I have no idea if this will continue, if this is even still going on at AK... just sharing my experience from last weekend....

THAT ... IS... SOOO... COOOOOOL!!! :sohappy::sohappy: AWESOME... What a great idea...!! I can't wait to go ... hopefully in early 2011!

klineski96

I've seen it on eBay for awhile. Each time is :eek: then :(. Should've just sucked it up bought it when it was Buy It Now for $100! LOL

My wife would figuratively and literally shoot me if I spent $150 on one of those things! :lol:

The Park 5 series coming out later this summer has the Haunted Mansion Clock... I'm super excited to get that one! :sohappy:

klineski96

I haven't gotten any of these yet...but I plan on starting a collection when I go in a few weeks!

Any tips?

At first my wife and I bought the blind boxes, because that's the only choice we had. We got extremely lucky pulling ones that we hoped to get... for example we bought 2 from the Holiday 1 series and got both Christmas themed ones, the tree and the snowman. And we've even pulled a chaser, the Muppet 1 series Kermit 50th Anniv.

Then I started to go to eBay to get a few of the older ones or ones from series that we didn't want to chance getting duplicates.

So any tips? Enjoy them! Trade them with friends and take advantage of the fact that stores allow you to trade ones you don't like. Have fun and good luck!

TrevorA

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Thanks for all the info guys! Please check out the other thread I just made regarding Vinylmation figures - I had another question.

---TrevorA

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom