Vintage EPCOT Center Handbooks

faberge

Original Poster
I have been researching the opening era of EPCOT recently and discovered that castmembers were given short handbooks that explained the history and corporate sponsors behind each attraction at opening day (so they could talk intelligently with guests who asked questions). The handbooks had some really neat history, but they are scarce. Below are links to the ones that have been found and the ones that are still missing.

Digitalized Handbooks (click any cover)
SpaceshipEarth_small_Page_1.jpg

Missing Handbooks
- American Adventure
- Canada
- China
- France
- Italy
- Mexico
- United Kingdom
- Universe of Energy
- Journey Into Imagination
- Communicore
- World of Motion
- Food (department)
- Merchandise (department)
- Horticulture (department)

Copies have sold at auction at various points over the past decade so they are out there. I'm curious if anyone has copies of any of the handbooks they would be willing to share. I'll update this list if anyone shares!

Last edited:

tirian

I have been researching the opening era of EPCOT recently and discovered that castmembers were given short handbooks that explained the history and corporate sponsors behind each attraction at opening day (so they could talk intelligently with guests who asked questions). The handbooks had some really neat history, but they are scarce. Below are links to the ones that have been found and the ones that are still missing.

View attachment 508870

Missing Handbooks
- American Adventure
- Canada
- China
- France
- Italy
- Mexico
- United Kingdom
- Universe of Energy
- Communicore
- World of Motion
- Food (department)

Copies have sold at auction at various points over the past decade so they are out there. I'm curious if anyone has copies of any of the handbooks they would be willing to share. I'll update this list if anyone shares!
The handbook for Japan includes a description of “Meet the World.” :) ♥️

Club Cooloholic

Within the company I’m afraid.
That was what I was trying to push, if they could have a version for Park Goers that want to learn more in depth info on the countries, as they your, it would be pretty cool. I think Disney misses some opportunities with technology, I know they do digital scavenger hunts and all for kids, but there is a lot they could offer adults(audio tours could be really cool)

nickys

Premium Member
That was what I was trying to push, if they could have a version for Park Goers that want to learn more in depth info on the countries, as they your, it would be pretty cool. I think Disney misses some opportunities with technology, I know they do digital scavenger hunts and all for kids, but there is a lot they could offer adults(audio tours could be really cool)
They want you to book their own tours.

Or did, I fear many of the tour guides were cut. When I did the Discover WS tour on New Year’s Day I got the co-author of the tour as my guide (she took pity on the person who should have been doing it who was working until 3am). She had been a surgeon who retired early and had been at WDW for more than 10 years as a tour guide and now a manager. But part-time of course. I guess she’s gone too.

The_Jobu

View attachment 508870

Missing Handbooks
- American Adventure
- Canada
- China
- France
- Italy
- Mexico
- United Kingdom
- Universe of Energy
- Communicore
- World of Motion
- Food (department)

These are beautiful! Didn't know they existed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom