Views on the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvepcot

Look im not blaming anyone for anything, im just stating some facts, and believe me i am so grateful for all they have done, dont get me wrong, and i dont view u as the enemy, but i do have a question. I read a poll a few months ago that hurt me very much. it said that 89% of canadiens believed the USA was responsible for 9/11? Would someone explain that to me. no flaming please, i would just like to know

iluvepcot

very well put hebie, wish i could have said it as nice as u. I tend to get a little emotional about my country, im sorry :)

Horizons38

Premium Member
Originally posted by iluvepcot
Look im not blaming anyone for anything, im just stating some facts, and believe me i am so grateful for all they have done, dont get me wrong, and i dont view u as the enemy, but i do have a question. I read a poll a few months ago that hurt me very much. it said that 89% of canadiens believed the USA was responsible for 9/11? Would someone explain that to me. no flaming please, i would just like to know

I don't know where those polls come from but believe me it's mostly from the media trying to inflame people i guess. All my family and friends and most Canadians that i know love the US , i married one for goodness sake's ! We try to help as much as we can and some times politicians get in the way, but i always loved the people here and i always thought that they thought the same about Canada. Republican or Democrat there always will be good people on both sides ! We know and appreciate the fact of having you guys next door to us and i know that we do our best to help with what we have. I know it's simplistic the way i say it but i'm not good at this.

Maria

I read a poll a few months ago that hurt me very much. it said that 89% of canadiens believed the USA was responsible for 9/11? Would someone explain that to me. no flaming please, i would just like to know

You should not believe all what polls -and questionable polls- tell you. Same with the article that started this thread and got everyone worked up. As Herbie said, there are a lot of things that can be said in defense and against the USA so you wouldn´t really get to a valid result.

....and also... who cares about polls?? :animwink:

Herbie53

Premium Member
Originally posted by Horizons38
I don't know where those polls come from but believe me it's mostly from the media trying to inflame people i guess. All my family and friends and most Canadians that i know love the US , i married one for goodness sake's ! We try to help as much as we can and some times politicians get in the way, but i always loved the people here and i always thought that they thought the same about Canada. Republican or Democrat there always will be good people on both sides ! We know and appreciate the fact of having you guys next door to us and i know that we do our best to help with what we have. I know it's simplistic the way i say it but i'm not good at this.

I think Americans tend to take Canada for granted. You never appreciate having a great next door neighbor until you get the neighbor from hell.

I for one am very guilty of this. I live near the Canadian border, and many is the time when I get annoyed because someone gave me Canadian change (which I won't be able to get rid of), or because a car with Canadian plates speeds by me on Rt 219 thinking that they are still on the QEW. But I'm sure there are many things that American tourists do to annoy the Canadians.

Look at it this way, The U.S. and Canada could be on the same terms as India and Pakistan. We really are lucky when you think about it.

Horizons38

Premium Member
Originally posted by Herbie53
I think Americans tend to take Canada for granted. You never appreciate having a great next door neighbor until you get the neighbor from hell.

I for one am very guilty of this. I live near the Canadian border, and many is the time when I get annoyed because someone gave me Canadian change (which I won't be able to get rid of), or because a car with Canadian plates speeds by me on Rt 219 thinking that they are still on the QEW. But I'm sure there are many things that American tourists do to annoy the Canadians.

Look at it this way, The U.S. and Canada could be on the same terms as India and Pakistan. We really are lucky when you think about it.

Thank you, i agree with everything you said, thanks as well for saying the thing about the border, i never can put into words what i want to say very well about a subject like this ! Believe me we appreciate you next door as well ! And at least when you visit your money gets you further !:animwink:

Maria

Originally posted by sandjhooker
And with attitudes like this, is it any wonder that we are hated the way we are?

That´s my point -and I think others too-. I wouldn´t use the word "hate" though.... it´s a very strong one. :animwink:

Dawnie

Its all so simple. This is the BEST country in the world. we are THE BEST, and will alway be THE BEST. we will NEVER let any sick Islamic radical to destroy our freedom, which is the exact thing that makes this country THE BEST. now until "canada" and all these other countries start doing anything compared to the USA and Britian to fight terrorism, shut up, because u have no room to talk. USA IS THE BEST

And it's attitudes like this that make others in the world, including Britain, look at the US and go :rolleyes: .

The US government has the support of the British government, but the British people in general view Bush as a bully. Sure Iraq is a threat, no one is denying that, but going in guns blazing is no way to conduct business in this day and age. The hawks in the US need to get a grip on reality or they're gonna totally alienate more than just the Muslim nations.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Maria
That´s my point -and I think others too-. I wouldn´t use the word "hate" though.... it´s a very strong one. :animwink:

Exactly, it's not hate. Of course everyone sees how the US contributes to the world: movies, technology, toys, WDW... :animwink: What sets people off is the "we're the best, screw the rest" attitude, the whole "if it wasn't for us, you'd all be German Nazis, so bow down and thank us" tone that, quite frankly is a load of bull...

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by MKCustodial
What sets people off is the "we're the best, screw the rest" attitude, the whole "if it wasn't for us, you'd all be German Nazis, so bow down and thank us" tone that, quite frankly is a load of bull...

While some people have this attitude, I would say this is a very small minority (but minorities can be very vocal - if one person out of 250 million feels this way and states it loudly and publicly, people will get angry). A big key in this and all situations is to avoid generalization. The United States (according to my geography classes Canada and Brazil are in "America") is a very diverse country. I would say most people in the United States are a bit on the fence regarding this whole issue. They are concerned with the precedent of a first strike (though many would argue this isn't a first strike since this has been going on for more than 10 years), but they are very, very, very concerned about the idea of nuclear weapons in the hands of someone who would distribute them to people who would kill men, women and children all over the world if at all possible.

The only people in the United States who would say this is about oil are the ones who oppose the effort and this raises an interesting point: In a democracy such as the United States, intentions must be specifically stated. For example, If Bush truly is fighting this war over oil, he will have to, at one point, say: "I realize you, the voters, are concerned about oil, so I will fight this war for oil so you will vote for me next time." If that is his intention, but he doesn't state it, what is he gaining?

dreamer

Originally posted by Herbie53
There are a lot of things that can be said in defense of the U.S.
There are a lot of things that can be said against the U.S.

I guess with the responsibility of world leadership comes criticism and backlash. This is just the cross we must bear until the next world power takes our place.

Amen, from sea to shining sea!!

:sohappy:

I hope everyone read Herbie53's whole post.

SpongeScott

Originally posted by Maria
Point well taken, Maria. How about "strongly dislike"? I love my country and I am proud to be an American (I feel like Lee Greenwood right now), but we do have some serious problems that we have manifested upon ourselves, but I also think we do get a bad rap around the world when we are usually one of the first countries to jump in and help when someone else needs it. Another to remember, especially about this thread, loyalty to someone's homeland runs very deep and people will passionately defend it, even to the point of getting upset and saying things that could get taken out of context. Maria, I have understood what you are trying to say. Don't let it bother you.

Maria

Originally posted by sandjhooker
Maria, I have understood what you are trying to say. Don't let it bother you.

Thank you, you made my day! :)
I see other people also got it... pheew :)

FutureCEO

Original Poster
We are the only superpower
We don't care about the rest of the world
We get too many things handed to us
We take too many things for granted
We are rich and almost all of the countries that hate us are poor
Our government also has something to do with this
***Thats way other countries hate or dislike us.

Some people over here eat Mickey D's everyday (like in those lawsuits) and some people in the world gets nothing to eat. aka...Africa, Middle East, parts of Asia

Still, is it our fault that other countries blame us for our problems.

We do a lot for the world but they still want more from us

SirNim

Exactly... Aren't we trying to feed Iraq and yet the "administration" there won't let us, stealing all the food for the government? Bah...:lookaroun

Maria

Originally posted by FutureCEO
We are the only superpower
We don't care about the rest of the world
We get too many things handed to us
We take too many things for granted
We are rich and almost all of the countries that hate us are poor
Our government also has something to do with this
***Thats way other countries hate or dislike us.

Some people over here eat Mickey D's everyday (like in those lawsuits) and some people in the world gets nothing to eat. aka...Africa, Middle East, parts of Asia

Still, is it our fault that other countries blame us for our problems.

We do a lot for the world but they still want more from us

This is my last post on this thread.... apparently you didn´t read the many previous posts by other people or you wouldn´t have posted this.
:hurl:

....and to become a "CEO of Disney" (or anywhere else), I would suggest you to open your mind.

CmdrTostada

Maria I know how you feel, when you say that people from the US's comments offend you. Because your comments about the US offend me sometimes. Yet I know some of it is true. You have to think that if your country pretty much saved most of western Europe and now you get western Europe saying that they hate your country, wouldn't you retaliate with the same type of comments that we do? I say that the world was ridded of the Soviet Union but it was just immediately infected by the Europeian Union.

castlecake

Its all so simple. This is the BEST country in the world. we are THE BEST, and will alway be THE BEST. we will NEVER let any sick Islamic radical to destroy our freedom, which is the exact thing that makes this country THE BEST. now until "canada" and all these other countries start doing anything compared to the USA and Britian to fight terrorism, shut up, because u have no room to talk. USA IS THE BEST

Actually, Canada was voted by the UN as the best country in which to live 7 years IN A ROW untill this year when Norway was chosen the best country. So untill your country gets this honour, you can 'shut up'. Our Country has much different values than yours. We are peacekeepers, we dont go around starting wars.

It is with this attitude that Americans are viwed as they are.:rolleyes:

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I really don't think this discussion is going anywhere. There is enough war, violence, and poverty in the world that can be attributed to many different countries and groups. Can we please work on keeping our little message board a haven from those things. A place where we can speak kind words to each other even if we have different views. A place that is for laughter and fond memories of a place we all love. Let's let the politicians and world leaders deal with the other issues and we can stick to talking about Mickey Mouse and Walt Disney. I've changed my previous opinion on political debates, they haven't brought anything worthwhile to this forum. So, if any one wants to debate politics and world issues I think the best place for those types of discussions is on a political forum, not here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom