Viewing Illuminations without a fastpass?

tiggerlvr

Original Poster
Hi, we were told it's not a good idea to use a fastpast on Illuminations because we wouldn't be able to book more fastpasses after using first three since the third one wouldn't be used until evening. What is the best way to view Illuminations without a fastpass? This is something our family really wants to see. Suggestions?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
IllumiNations is easily the least problem for viewing. You can get a passable viewing spot virtually anywhere around the lagoon.

If you're eager to get "prime" viewing, you can stake out a spot usually 45-90 minutes in advance, depending on crowd levels.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We've watched Illuminations from in front of just about every country in World Showcase - and all are great views! Depending on how crowded Epcot is, the FP+ viewing area is sometimes more crowded than the promenade around the lagoon. Our current favorite spot to watch is along the fence just on the Japan side of the America area. As you look out at the lagoon, the American Gardens Theatre will be on your right - it's also the spot that the Earth globe 'drives' out from. Unless you are there at Christmas, Easter, or July 4, you can generally get there about 30 minutes before the show and find a decent seat. In those crowded times of year, best to arrive an hour early.

NeedMoreMickey

I’ve almost given up trying to watch the show because I don’t like to set up a spot 45 minuets early and since I’m 5’3” I can’t see much if I’m not in the front. Depending on what else you want to do I think using a FP for Illumination is fine. You could check out a dining reservation that has special watching area but I’m not sure if that is offered all the time

Tony the Tigger

If you haven’t seen it, I’d say get your spot a little early to try to get in the front. Otherwise sometimes when it starts, people in front of you put kids on their shoulders, hold up their phones, etc. The show is spectacular and moving, and rumored to change in the future, so it’s worth getting a good spot in front without trees to take it all in. (This was easier to do years ago before the trees around the lagoon got so big - I wish they would cut those back.)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sight lines and positions have indeed worsened over the years. Food and Wine particularly reduces them further. But you don’t need to waste a Fastpass on it, despite the company hoping you will. Just keep an eye on how busy the shoreside is getting 45-60 minutes before showtime depending on crowd levels. Often you can get a good spot half an hour before showtime if crowds are lighter.

tiggerlvr

Original Poster
Hi, we were told it's not a good idea to use a fastpast on Illuminations because we wouldn't be able to book more fastpasses after using first three since the third one wouldn't be used until evening. What is the best way to view Illuminations without a fastpass? This is something our family really wants to see. Suggestions?
Perfect! Thanks for the tips everyone!

BoarderPhreak

I wouldn't stress over Illuminations too much. Unless you have to see lagoon-level stuff, you can see it from practically anywhere in the park. Heck, you can see it from the Boardwalk, even. The best advice is skip the FP and pick out (and arrive at) your destination early. Hang out, wait for the show. All good.

Nubs70

Terrace area between France and England or bridge area just before Mexico.

Either one.depending on wind direction. Pick location that has wind to your back.

I second what others have said, you won't need a fastpass. Our favourite viewing spot is on the bridge out front in the Italy Pavilion, as it's elevated it doesn't matter that you're not right up at the front/short and we usually can turn up less than half an hour before and get a good spot there.

nitstalker

Is anybody like me hoping that before they get rid of the globe and all they bring back the old voiceover for a one time sendoff? Would love to hear Walter Cronkite again

I generally stroll around the showcase about 15 mins before the show. There is usually always an area or two that are thinned out.

Burbee

We've watched Illuminations from in front of just about every country in World Showcase - and all are great views! Depending on how crowded Epcot is, the FP+ viewing area is sometimes more crowded than the promenade around the lagoon. Our current favorite spot to watch is along the fence just on the Japan side of the America area. As you look out at the lagoon, the American Gardens Theatre will be on your right - it's also the spot that the Earth globe 'drives' out from. Unless you are there at Christmas, Easter, or July 4, you can generally get there about 30 minutes before the show and find a decent seat. In those crowded times of year, best to arrive an hour early.
When you say seat, do you mean a bench or the ground? Sorry haven't been to Epcot in a long time and can't remember the area well. Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom