VIDEO - Rainforest Cafe testing spectacular volcano fireball effects

Tom Morrow

Why yes, I do indeed! :)

And I feel the same way about Typhoon as well. In fact, it is right there in 1989 - TL and Pleasure Island - that I would date the shift in thinking, the moment when Disney desingers came to confuse 'intricate theme and placemaking' with 'convulated backstory'.

BB and TL are awesome. I think both could've been even better still with more classic design principles, especially BB.
I don't see how BB and TL have a convoluted backstory. Blizzard Beach is a ski resort and Typhoon Lagoon's premise is explained simply in the name of the park. What would you say they could have done differently for TL to be more classic?

doctornick

I don't see how BB and TL have a convoluted backstory. Blizzard Beach is a ski resort and Typhoon Lagoon's premise is explained simply in the name of the park. What would you say they could have done differently for TL to be more classic?

Yeah, I don't get that either. The entirely theming of the parks is what makes them great and makes them distinct from other water parks. I'm not even sure what a "classic" water park look would be except that it would probably be fairly boring and non-distinctive.

MOXOMUMD

I assume this will result in some new menu items :

Blackened Open-Volcano Kielbasa Bites*
Fire Breathing T-Rex Nuggets*
Ash Covered Pixie Dust Nachos*

*Warning - Consuming overcooked meats could result in health issues and cursing, may not be suitable for kids
And every dessert now comes with roasted marshmallows.

PeterAlt

tr35.gif

Not like me to pass up on any opportunity! The wheel of shame, the destruction of Disney sophistication by outside franchises:
8088803849_1fcc0fe0ce_c.jpg

966282710_fKhyK-L.jpg
Wow, you are to the Empress Lilly as I am to monorail. Maybe I should change my name to Monorail.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Yay!

In a themed environment the parts work together for the whole. A belching volcano is cool and all. But it needs to further the story, add to the placemaking. Else it doesn't improve, but lessens the whole. A random fire-spewing volcano in a shopping district only distracts, rather than adds.

Main Street doesn't improve with a massive AT-AT walking in Town Square. Regardless of how fun that is in itself. SSE doesn't improve with a massive fire-breating dragon on top, but Potter does.
Everywhere would look better with a massive AT-AT walking around ;)

The Empress Lilly

Wow, you are to the Empress Lilly as I am to monorail. Maybe I should change my name to Monorail.
We all need a gimmick, a unique selling point!

Besides, the Empress Lilly - named for Walt's wife Lillian - deserves to be remembered. For itself, and also as a reminder of a more elegant WDW of a more civilised age.

If I were you, I would change my name to 'Monorail Pete' indeed! :cool:
That way, if you start blabbering on about monorails people look at you less funny, because instead of a broken record, you have become a champion for a cause.

The Empress Lilly

Everywhere would look better with a massive AT-AT walking around ;)
Ain't that the truth!

I want Blizzard Beach rethemed as Hoth. Then I want it attacked by massive AT-ATs, and some AT-ST's. If you flee into the moutain, there are Wampa's attacking you there. The only way out is through Summit Plummit! But now, instead of plummeting down, it has an ion cannon at the base that shoots you upwards!

WDI give me and Ferret a call NOW, we'll utterly destroy Sith Potterious, then together we can rule the universe!

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Ain't that the truth!

I want Blizzard Beach rethemed as Hoth. Then I want it attacked by massive AT-ATs, and some AT-ST's. If you flee into the moutain, there are Wampa's attacking you there. The only way out is through Summit Plummit! But now, instead of plummeting down, it has an ion cannon at the base that shoots you upwards!

WDI give me and Ferret a call NOW, we'll utterly destroy Sith Potterious, then together we can rule the universe!
Ultimate Potter Swatter .... This is the water park you are looking for

PeterAlt

We all need a gimmick, a unique selling point!

Besides, the Empress Lilly - named for Walt's wife Lillian - deserves to be remembered. For itself, and also as a reminder of a more elegant WDW of a more civilised age.

If I were you, I would change my name to 'Monorail Pete' indeed! :cool:
That way, if you start blabbering on about monorails people look at you less funny, because instead of a broken record, you have become a champion for a cause.
True, true. These days, I get more and more depressed as I read lack of any good news out of the company and and lots and lots of small bad news every day being reported here not from the company.

I just have to remind myself that DLR was in worse shape and was fixed virtually overnight. The poem I posted over at Spirit reflects that despair with a silver lining of optimism that I speak of perfectly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom