VIDEO - New live entertainment act TradNation debuts at Epcot's Canada Pavilion

Sonconato

Plenty of glass is already empty folks here. What do you expect from street music? It's entertainment to stop and listen while you walk by. It's not supposed to be Taylor Swift or something like that.
Street music? Based on what? I wouldn't say Off Kilter or Mo'Rockin were considered street performers. How many street performers have you seen that have that amount of musical equipment, lighting and sound controls...perhaps none. This is a substantial downgrade from what was in Canada and Morocco 2+ years ago.

JohnD

Street music? Based on what? I wouldn't say Off Kilter or Mo'Rockin were considered street performers. How many street performers have you seen that have that amount of musical equipment, lighting and sound controls...perhaps none. This is a substantial downgrade from what was in Canada and Morocco 2+ years ago.

Like I said. The glass is already empty... There is no pleasing some people.

sophie_the_pooh

Love. Anyone who's been to old Quebec knows this is authentic to their culture. A win for Epcot.

As someone who's visited Canada many many times...if you want a true representation of the country...this is it.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree... I am from Quebec and this not a true representation of our culture. I can't stand it when we are depicted as lumberjacks or dog sled drivers... We do have an history of traditional music called "rigodons" which is similar to what this band is trying to reproduce, but it's supposed to be more colorful, upbeat, energetic, makes you want to grab your friend by the elbow and dance type of music!

Zipadeelady

So I listened to it without watching it and I have to say I like the music regardless if it's a true depiction of Canadian music ( even though it should be if it's going to be in the Canada Pavillion) and would definitely stop for a bit to watch. That is where they would loose me. They seem very talented but smile, move around (other than the river dancing fella), do something!

Sonconato

Personally, Disney should just STOP bringing entertainment to World Showcase. The pathetic complainers on here will never be satisfied with anything. I think its a great addition and I look forward to hearing them live! The typical gloom and doomers are still P.O. they can't get their jollies off to an overrated band like Off Kilter.

Regarding your first statement, I would agree with you, they should stop bringing entertainment to World Showcase since they are incapable of doing so as of late. When they can get back on track, then they should continue with the entertainment.

As for satisfaction, you are wrong. There is a lot of entertainment currently still out there that is very satisfactory such as "The Notorious Banjo Brothers and Bob" in Frontierland, "The Grand Floridian Society Orchestra" in the Grand Floridian, "Dapper Dans" at Magic Kingdom, the "Jammitors" at EPCOT, and even those at Disney Springs like "Dominic Gaudious" and "Nova Era," all of which are great, are placed in the right setting and many of which have been around for a very long time. Not only is there great music, but great entertainers such as the "Hoedown Happening" in Frontierland and the "Buskers" on the Boardwalk which, in some cases, frequently change so I don't know who is still there but most are very good. Again, they are in the right setting.

Also, your statement about Off Kilter being overrated is B.S. They drew the crowds because people liked their music, their entertainment and their friendliness. People didn't go there just because others did. Obviously, not everybody will like their music, such as yourself, but it doesn't mean it is overrated just because it is your opinion. I'm sure you didn't go to Off Kilter's last performance but I did and it was impressive how many people were there. I can guarantee that the last performance of the Lumberjacks and what will be the last performance of this current group, won't draw the numbers Off Kilter did. But that is beside the point, the fact is, this current group might make more sense as a 10 or 20 minute "Street Performance" standing by the Victoria Gardens then up on Stage. They are not Stage material and it doesn't make sense as such.

What's troubling about SOME of these changes that we "pathetic complainers" are pointing out is that the prices for the Parks continue to increase but the offerings continue to diminish in quality or simply are eliminated. For instance, Norway had a great street performance type band called "Spelmanns Gledje" and now there is nothing, France had a mime performer called "Mime Roland" who was outstanding that is no longer there but at least they still have "Serveur Amusant," there was a type of acrobatic type performance called the "Mighty Kristos" at the Epcot Fountains and now there is nothing. At AK, there were two bands, "The Village Beatniks" and "The Tropicals" both of which were more like street performance settings which were terrific and we dearly miss, now there is nothing. There were great performers on the Boardwalk like the comedic magician "Brian Staron" who was loved and is missed by many and "Carlo" the sword swallower that had amazing balance and talent, both of which are no longer on the Boardwalk. If you've visited the Parks as many times as we have over a 40 year period, you'll understand the change, otherwise you have nothing to compare it to. You can think of it as a complaint if you choose, but I rather think of it as pointing out the flaws in decisions made and as constructive criticism. Things like this should help Disney understand their audience. It's just disappointing to see how the quantity and quality of the changes are on a downhill slide while the cost is on a steep uphill climb. If you’ve paid for a Mercedes, you at least should get a Mercedes as a replacement, not a Hyundai or nothing at all. You should be thrilled that things like this are discussed because it helps keep the quality on track.

llrain

Dude, this is celtic/irish music they are playing. it weird they are playing in Canada. Even the step dancing they are doing, the flute the snare drum..I grew up on celtic music and attended many a nieces irish step dancing classes...its screaming irish music here is this group in the correct world showcase pavilion. I'm not Canadian but they belong in a Irish pub while we chatter over a pint.
All and all, give em a chance, Ya'll are still bitter that boring off kilter are gone or something?
This thread suffers from the atypical internet + message board= whiners

Love. Anyone who's been to old Quebec knows this is authentic to their culture. A win for Epcot.

As someone who's visited Canada many many times...if you want a true representation of the country...this is it.

note2001

Dude, this is celtic/irish music they are playing. it weird they are playing in Canada. Even the step dancing they are doing, the flute the snare drum..I grew up on celtic music and attended many a nieces irish step dancing classes...its screaming irish music here is this group in the correct world showcase pavilion. I'm not Canadian but they belong in a Irish pub while we chatter over a pint.
All and all, give em a chance, Ya'll are still bitter that boring off kilter are gone or something?
This thread suffers from the atypical internet + message board= whiners

Yes, there is a definite Celtic theme to much of their music, but it seems to be blended with other styles. I can understand why you say it sounds Irish. Many families in Nova Scotia & Newfoundland have Irish roots, and as such there is a lot of that style in their music. Note the bagpipes Off Kilter had were also a trait of some music of that region also due to the Scottish influence again in the east.

I didn't watch, but rather let the video play in the background. I like it very much. Watching it however I agree they need help, just a change of outfits would do a world of good.

Last edited:

doctornick

See, to each their own, but that to me was probably what I didn't like about the likes of Off Kilter or Mo'Rockin. That whole higher tech rock concert atmosphere I think was rather off putting and incongruent with the vibe of World Showcase. I rather enjoy the fact that the streetmosphere in WS is typically small scale stuff that you could theoretically find as street performers in the requisite country.

I mean, ultimately I don't care that much, but given a choice I prefer something more low key like this act.

Sonconato

See, to each their own, but that to me was probably what I didn't like about the likes of Off Kilter or Mo'Rockin. That whole higher tech rock concert atmosphere I think was rather off putting and incongruent with the vibe of World Showcase. I rather enjoy the fact that the streetmosphere in WS is typically small scale stuff that you could theoretically find as street performers in the requisite country.

I mean, ultimately I don't care that much, but given a choice I prefer something more low key like this act.
You are correct, everybody will like different performances and types of music. My family and I LOVE to see all types of music, some we like more than others. We are very supportive of all live performances that truly have talent and encourage Disney to ADD more groups rather than reduce. We certainly don't dislike this group, it just seems awkward to see them on this STAGE. IMO, this is more, as you say, a streetmosphere type group. So it seems more appropriate somewhere else around the Canadian Pavilion. We loved Off Kilter, but we also know that they will never be back, however, something of their caliber needs to fill that stage again. I understand that you feel it is off putting, but many don't think that way. There is a lot that we find off putting in EPCOT but we won't even go there because we know it won't change. Why not have both?! Didn't the United Kingdom kinda have that setup with two different types of groups? Honestly, since these folks are from Canada, I feel sorry for the guy dancing come summer, or even spring for that matter!

JohnD

IMO, this is more, as you say, a streetmosphere type group

Exactly. That was my point. Unlike UK, there is no other places for these acts to perform. You can't walk to the back of the pavilion. It's right there. Stop briefly. Soak it in and move on. Lumberjacks didn't work because it demanded you stay for the whole show. That and chainsaws had no place there. The loud obtrusive sound reverberated all across WS lagoon.

tirian

I applaud you, sir. Or ma'am.

I remember the days when Disney had outstanding entertainment in every land at the MK and EPCOT Center...the days of the Liberty Tree Lighting in Liberty Square, as well as the Fife and Drum in WS...the days of tropical music in AL...the days of real stage productions in ToonTown, TL, the Castle Forecourt, and the Diamond Horseshoe...the days when A-list comedians would drop into PI for surprise shows...when EPCOT had a daytime show and Illuminations...

Now it's all about herding massive crowds from one place to another. I guess it makes the Mommy Bloggers happy.

Times change. Entertainment styles change. Disney did NOT make changes to keep up with the times. Disney simply cut entertainment because it was a cheap way to save money.

Regarding your first statement, I would agree with you, they should stop bringing entertainment to World Showcase since they are incapable of doing so as of late. When they can get back on track, then they should continue with the entertainment.

As for satisfaction, you are wrong. There is a lot of entertainment currently still out there that is very satisfactory such as "The Notorious Banjo Brothers and Bob" in Frontierland, "The Grand Floridian Society Orchestra" in the Grand Floridian, "Dapper Dans" at Magic Kingdom, the "Jammitors" at EPCOT, and even those at Disney Springs like "Dominic Gaudious" and "Nova Era," all of which are great, are placed in the right setting and many of which have been around for a very long time. Not only is there great music, but great entertainers such as the "Hoedown Happening" in Frontierland and the "Buskers" on the Boardwalk which, in some cases, frequently change so I don't know who is still there but most are very good. Again, they are in the right setting.

Also, your statement about Off Kilter being overrated is B.S. They drew the crowds because people liked their music, their entertainment and their friendliness. People didn't go there just because others did. Obviously, not everybody will like their music, such as yourself, but it doesn't mean it is overrated just because it is your opinion. I'm sure you didn't go to Off Kilter's last performance but I did and it was impressive how many people were there. I can guarantee that the last performance of the Lumberjacks and what will be the last performance of this current group, won't draw the numbers Off Kilter did. But that is beside the point, the fact is, this current group might make more sense as a 10 or 20 minute "Street Performance" standing by the Victoria Gardens then up on Stage. They are not Stage material and it doesn't make sense as such.

What's troubling about SOME of these changes that we "pathetic complainers" are pointing out is that the prices for the Parks continue to increase but the offerings continue to diminish in quality or simply are eliminated. For instance, Norway had a great street performance type band called "Spelmanns Gledje" and now there is nothing, France had a mime performer called "Mime Roland" who was outstanding that is no longer there but at least they still have "Serveur Amusant," there was a type of acrobatic type performance called the "Mighty Kristos" at the Epcot Fountains and now there is nothing. At AK, there were two bands, "The Village Beatniks" and "The Tropicals" both of which were more like street performance settings which were terrific and we dearly miss, now there is nothing. There were great performers on the Boardwalk like the comedic magician "Brian Staron" who was loved and is missed by many and "Carlo" the sword swallower that had amazing balance and talent, both of which are no longer on the Boardwalk. If you've visited the Parks as many times as we have over a 40 year period, you'll understand the change, otherwise you have nothing to compare it to. You can think of it as a complaint if you choose, but I rather think of it as pointing out the flaws in decisions made and as constructive criticism. Things like this should help Disney understand their audience. It's just disappointing to see how the quantity and quality of the changes are on a downhill slide while the cost is on a steep uphill climb. If you’ve paid for a Mercedes, you at least should get a Mercedes as a replacement, not a Hyundai or nothing at all. You should be thrilled that things like this are discussed because it helps keep the quality on track.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Happened to walk by the stage today and caught a few minutes of this - that was all I wanted. Tiny crowd.

But it was said from the stage twice that they're performing this week only.
Strange, they are going to be at Epcot through to the summer as far as I know.

note2001

Sure, they could be better, but they're a 1000% improvement over the lumberjacks.
Ah, but 10 x zero is still zero :/ I think they're better than that.

It's all personal taste. While I'd agree, my son who dislikes World Showcase (he's 17) found the lumberjacks to be entertaining. This group I can assure you would have him running past as fast as the scooters and strollers around him would permit :) Meanwhile I'd probably get a little jig in my step, emphasized by my desire to embarrass him.

(Would someone in Disney please take those women out shopping for new outfits? I'd prefer to see everyone in jeans and keds than whatever it is they're 'dressed up' in.)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom