Via Napoli - opening day photos and report

tirian

Ate there late yesterday. It's good, but it's pizza.

Very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very overpriced PIZZA.

There's absolutely no value whatsoever. Everything should be $5–$10 less than it is.

Honestly, I question how long the menu is going to remain so simple. They might have to add more "real" entrees for Guests to feel like the value is worth the price charged.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ate there late yesterday. It's good, but it's pizza.

Very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very overpriced PIZZA.

There's absolutely no value whatsoever. Everything should be $5–$10 less than it is.

Honestly, I question how long the menu is going to remain so simple. They might have to add more "real" entrees for Guests to feel like the value is worth the price charged.

I see a lot of people going in as a group of 4 and splitting the largest size. At around $9 per head, that works out pretty well as table service goes. That seems to be where the value is.

Mickey_777

My only complaint, and this is small--is that the facade looks flat, and you can catch a peek of a background building to the left. Maybe a couple of forced perspective rooftops back there could quickly take care of this.
Exactly what I was thinking...it's beautiful but a bit one-dimensional and flat...how's it look from the sides? Is it possible they'll add some "depth" still?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Exactly what I was thinking...it's beautiful but a bit one-dimensional and flat...how's it look from the sides? Is it possible they'll add some "depth" still?

No the building is finished.

Pete C

The prices at this place are flat-out absurd. $16 for a 10" individual pizza is insulting. I just don't get it. These are fine-dining prices! I understand paying inflated prices at a theme park, but this is ridiculous. I can't wait to see how much a taco costs at the new Mexican joint. :rolleyes:

ms7479a

Steve did a great job of reviewing Via Napoli. I also had the opportunity to eat there yesterday and have just finished my review. I figure it never hurts to have multiple viewpoints, even though I agree with many of the things Steve said about the restaurant. I hope this is okay, but my review is so big and has so many pictures that I did not want to post it directly on the boards here for fear of taking up too much bandwidth. Instead I have a link to my blog so you can read my review and see the pictures:

http://tastedisney.blogspot.com/2010/08/via-napoli.html

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The prices at this place are flat-out absurd. $16 for a 10" individual pizza is insulting. I just don't get it. These are fine-dining prices! I understand paying inflated prices at a theme park, but this is ridiculous. I can't wait to see how much a taco costs at the new Mexican joint. :rolleyes:

$16 is high for an individual, but $38 is not too bad for the largest size that serves 4 or 5 people. You can't feed 4 people at any other table service for that kind of price. So really it depends on what you are ordering.

The_CEO

Judging solely by the wonderful review posted by Steve; I personally feel this is somewhat a better choice than Tutto, seems like good service and food. It maybe "just pizza" but you aren't going to find any other pizza in the DIZ like this. I am very happy to see this and will try it when I go next June.

Thanks Steve!

Disneykidder

I guess I know where i'm going to try to get a reservation for next summer!!:slurp:

The building looks beautiful, authentic and original. The food looks delicious. The menu makes me want to order Italian food at 8:45am!!!!

Pete C

am I the only one that thinks the outside of the building looks like a huge poster?

The quality of theming is not up to par IMO...it could have been better. It looks pretty much like any Tuscan themed shopping center around these days. I am looking forward to checking it out in person.

tirian

I see a lot of people going in as a group of 4 and splitting the largest size. At around $9 per head, that works out pretty well as table service goes. That seems to be where the value is.

Good point. In that case, the restaurant will be a waste of DDP credits.

Tybee

Looks decent, but I agree that the prices are a little dear for what's being served. But this is the way of table service dining in the parks. We should be used to it by now.

The thing that makes me crazy is that they went on and on about how hard they were striving for authenticity, doing research in NYC and Napoli. They've got these elaborate "wood fired" ovens, shipping in special spring water and artisanal imported flour for the dough...

...and then they top it with PEPPERONI.

images

Folks, listen. Pepperoni on pizza is a purely American thing, and not even an authentic American thing (if we're using NYC as a barometer). The reason you see it everywhere here is because it's salty, easy, and most importantly, CHEAP. You'll rarely if ever find pepperoni on pizza in Italy, and even in NYC pizzerias, it's considered bad form to top a pie with this crummy meat. If they were really going for authenticity (and flavor), they would have gone with sliced meatballs. But meatballs are expensive and time-consuming to make, so I'm guessing pepperoni got the nod early on.

Thankfully, there are other options. But it just makes me sad that an opportunity to educate people about authentic Neapolitan-style pizza went by the boards when that, to hear them tell it, was what they were trying to do.

jt04

Looks decent, but I agree that the prices are a little dear for what's being served. But this is the way of table service dining in the parks. We should be used to it by now.

The thing that makes me crazy is that they went on and on about how hard they were striving for authenticity, doing research in NYC and Napoli. They've got these elaborate "wood fired" ovens, shipping in special spring water and artisanal imported flour for the dough...

...and then they top it with PEPPERONI.

images

Folks, listen. Pepperoni on pizza is a purely American thing, and not even an authentic American thing (if we're using NYC as a barometer). The reason you see it everywhere here is because it's salty, easy, and most importantly, CHEAP. You'll rarely if ever find pepperoni on pizza in Italy, and even in NYC pizzerias, it's considered bad form to top a pie with this crummy meat. If they were really going for authenticity (and flavor), they would have gone with sliced meatballs. But meatballs are expensive and time-consuming to make, so I'm guessing pepperoni got the nod early on.

Thankfully, there are other options. But it just makes me sad that an opportunity to educate people about authentic Neapolitan-style pizza went by the boards when that, to hear them tell it, was what they were trying to do.

It is just one of those small compromises necessary to appease a dumbed down public. Don't blame Disney, blame the public education system. :lol:

It is not like pepperoni is an America invention. No harm.

SoarinNJ

Question....has anyone used the DDP here yet? If so, can you use one dining credit for the $38 20" pie and share it among 4 people? Or do they require to use credits for every member of your party? Anybody know?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom