• VGF2 the upcoming expansion of VGF into the Big Pine Key building
  • you knew those already though! ;)
  • ds deluxe studio
  • 1b one bedroom
  • 2b two bedroom
  • 2b-lo two bedroom lock-off
  • 3b
  • __t (e.g. dst) theme park view
  • __p (e.g. dsp) preferred, for VGF it's lake view, for others it varies (e.g. AKV savanna)
  • __s (e.g. dss) standard, for all resorts it's standard, for resorts with no categories it's the only one (e.g. Beach Club)
it is nomenclature I've seen around for describing DVC villas that I've found quite useful

they aren't today but who knows if they'll change that for the sake of equity; I doubt they would but you never know

below is the building from the outside (courtesy Google Maps) where you can see the third floor room next to the tower is a windowless wall indicating it's where the housekeeping storage is; also, on the third and fourth floor you can see the tower rooms have a door onto the adjacent balcony so those rooms not only have a tower, but they still have a balcony; pretty nice!

View attachment 608985
https://goo.gl/maps/L4YTvQLiabHP4r6R8
It was the acronyms “dss” and “dsp” that were confusing me. I’ve only eve4 seen standard and preferred used when those are the actual designations. 🙅‍♀️
And of course these new rooms aren’t deluxe studios either, they’re resort studios. Which is why I wasn’t sure what you were counting.
Anyway, assuming they’re counts for the new rooms in Big Pine Key, are they based on the current room views as used by the resort?

And I think I’ve worked out the confusion over these turret rooms. From what you posted, you were presumably referring to the rooms under the eaves in the main part of the building, whilst others were meaning the tower rooms. So the tower definitely does have rooms in them, whilst some of the third floor in the main part are housekeeping.

So absolutely people will be requesting those tower rooms, but they’re not a separate booking category.

i<3riviera

It was the acronyms “dss” and “dsp” that were confusing me. I’ve only eve4 seen standard and preferred used when those are the actual designations. 🙅‍♀️
And of course these new rooms aren’t deluxe studios either, they’re resort studios.
yes, good points; for a lot of the analysis I've done I like to abstract the resorts as much as possible to compare like things to like things; for example, I've looked at point costs per resort stay by villa size and I usually lump all the standard and preferred / lake / savanna / BoardWalk + garden views together as preferred; it's not perfect but it's something

you're also right about them being resort studios so they should be rss and rsp; for most of the things I look at, if a separate category doesn't cost more points, I treat it as part of the base; previously that only applied to OKW hospitality house, BWV in not segregating BoardWalk + garden view, and CCV for shower / tub rooms

there is probably a better way to abbreviate them all though; maybe rss, rsp, and rst is the way to go

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I just spoke with a Bell Services CM who was delivering luggage to Big Pine Key.

There are 3 deluxe rooms in the tower/turret (Floors 2,3,4).The rooms are the same as a standard room with the exception of a sitting area in the alcove. These rooms are standard garden view that overlook the Courtyard Pool.

82D1825D-3F0D-481F-B181-E7C9C340C2E3.jpeg

A108B5A9-3888-48B9-AF04-394296450CD9.jpeg

First floor is housekeeping (I had been informed incorrectly a few years back that there were no rooms in the turret) and the 5th floor is a suite.

i<3riviera

correcaminos

I'll just leave this here ...

confirms some of what we were discussing but not everything (like view counts)
Thank you. I couldn't find the right thread to add this to on my phone and gave up.

Thought it was interesting about the suite types (D in the article) seeing a type E was interesting as someone who doesn't do resort rooms. Seeing how few connect did surprise me. Looking forward to the other floors.

i<3riviera

Thought it was interesting about the suite types (D in the article) seeing a type E was interesting as someone who doesn't do resort rooms. Seeing how few connect did surprise me. Looking forward to the other floors.
yeah, the type E are particularly interesting because they are the end caps of the resort view section, they're not adjoining (so no door to transfer noise), and they appear to have a second large balcony facing the Polynesian in addition to the balcony facing Magic Kingdom

I extrapolated floor 3 and 4 to 1 and 2 and it looks like we'll end up with 174 adjoining rooms (so 87 pairs) and 28 stand alone; floor 2 should be identical to 3 and floor 1 should only be missing three rooms ...
  1. main entrance on the north side of the centreline of the main hub
  2. breezeway are on the south side of the centreline of the main hub
  3. luggage areas in the bottom of the tower
in the stand alone rooms are ...
  • 4x type D tower rooms (floors 2-5, floor 1 is luggage)
  • 4x type E end caps of theme park view section (floors 1-4)
  • 8x where the main structure joins the theme park view wing (2x per floor for floor 1-4)
  • 4x both extreme ends of 5th floor
  • 8x centre rooms of the main hub (floors 2-5, floor 1 is the main entrance and a breezeway)
if you're willing to spend the points for theme park view, type E rooms seem to be the ones to beat! otherwise it's hoping to luck out for a type D tower room; I expect specific requests will not always be honored, just like the CCV alternate studios

edit: correction for floor 1 makeup

Last edited:

correcaminos

yeah, the type E are particularly interesting because they are the end caps of the resort view section, they're not adjoining (so no door to transfer noise), and they appear to have a second large balcony facing the Polynesian in addition to the balcony facing Magic Kingdom

I extrapolated floor 3 and 4 to 1 and 2 and it looks like we'll end up with 174 adjoining rooms (so 87 pairs) and 28 stand alone; floor 2 should be identical to 3 and floor 1 should only be missing three rooms ...
  1. main entrance on the north side of the centreline of the main hub
  2. breezeway are on the south side of the centreline of the main hub
  3. luggage areas in the bottom of the tower
in the stand alone rooms are ...
  • 4x type D tower rooms (floors 2-5, floor 1 is luggage)
  • 4x type E end caps of theme park view section (floors 1-4)
  • 8x where the main structure joins the theme park view wing (2x per floor for floor 1-4)
  • 4x both extreme ends of 5th floor
  • 8x centre rooms of the main hub (floors 2-5, floor 1 is the main entrance and a breezeway)
if you're willing to spend the points for theme park view, type E rooms seem to be the ones to beat! otherwise it's hoping to luck out for a type D tower room; I expect specific requests will not always be honored, just like the CCV alternate studios

edit: correction for floor 1 makeup
I do believe there are some storage/housekeeping differences on as you mentioned 1 but I will not pretend to know for sure the differences as again I am not a resort staying person to even csre.

I am not sure we'd book these but I am interested in the data. But I do liken D to the alt studios at CCV and doubt it will be a separate room booking but a request.

BlackCauldron

So how would someone go about getting one of the turret rooms? Just a request and a prayer? They don't seem to be a separate booking category, but that extra seating area makes the room quite a bit larger.

i<3riviera

So how would someone go about getting one of the turret rooms? Just a request and a prayer? They don't seem to be a separate booking category, but that extra seating area makes the room quite a bit larger.
I suspect it’s just a request; good news is they are all the lowest price garden view rooms but the bad news is there are only four

nickys

Premium Member
Aren’t those the ones that don’t have proper balconies? That might also be a consideration.

On a separate note, I am seeing reports on the DIS that apparently microwaves and toasters may be installed after all. At the moment you can request them, but guests are being told they are on back-order.

Makes me wonder if DVC had so many complaints about the lack of a kitchenette, possibly from would-be BW buyers, that they have back tracked.

If true, that would be great news!

BlackCauldron

Aren’t those the ones that don’t have proper balconies? That might also be a consideration.

On a separate note, I am seeing reports on the DIS that apparently microwaves and toasters may be installed after all. At the moment you can request them, but guests are being told they are on back-order.

Makes me wonder if DVC had so many complaints about the lack of a kitchenette, possibly from would-be BW buyers, that they have back tracked.

If true, that would be great news!
I saw a 3d walkthrough of the turret rooms, and it looks like there's a balcony off to the side. Might be a little smaller than the other rooms. Looks like the sitting area also offers a second tv.

nickys

Premium Member
I saw a 3d walkthrough of the turret rooms, and it looks like there's a balcony off to the side. Might be a little smaller than the other rooms. Looks like the sitting area also offers a second tv.
That’s good to know. Do you have a link to a video of those rooms?

I watched this video of a “regular” style resort studio, and am impressed with them. If they would just add the microwave and toaster, as rumoured, I’d be tempted to try them.

BlackCauldron

I watched this video of a “regular” style resort studio, and am impressed with them. If they would just add the microwave and toaster, as rumoured, I’d be tempted to try them.

Not sure if this link will work, but here it is - this is also the only walkthrough of this room type I've found. The layout is slightly different from the regular room.

Agreed that the microwave and toaster would be a great value add, especially since there is no sink.

correcaminos

They impressed me in person. I went in thinking nah... but left liking them a lot. If those toasters show up, I'd be far more tempted to stay a night or two. But the beverage cooler is a killer to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom