Vegetarian Food

smk

I don't know if I have ever seen a soy food item served, so I hope she/he can get protien from another source, say like cheese? Other than fish and cheese, salad and veggies are everywhere at the resort food courts, fruit too. You may have to read the menus on this site to find out more about the parks themselves. I think I would make plans to take a few favorite items for a snack, or simple meal while in your room, just in case.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't care for meat. :shrug: I've never had a problem finding menu choices at WDW, and we've eaten just about everywhere. :lol: Your friend will be fine! :wave:

Upvote 0

atterris

Original Poster
:sohappy: :wave: Thanks for your responses. I'm sure my my friend will find lots of food she will like to eat. We are going next August it's DL for me this year.:D

Upvote 0

scorp111

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian, meaning I do eat eggs and dairy, but no meat.

Virtually every restaurant has a vegetarian entree. Buffets are good too, just ask a server or a cook about ingredients as needed.

Most Counter Service places will have something as well, be it a veggie burger, cheese pizza, salad, vegetable sandwich etc.

WDW is a great place to vacation for vegetarians in my book!

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I agree that WDW has come a long way in Vegetarian options since the 80s. My SIL & daughter are/were vegetarians (my daughter still eats very little meat) and it was difficult for my SIL way back when. She usually had to pack a cheese sandwich in her purse. :) But now she has no difficulty finding something to eat. Just make sure you ask about anything that might have "hidden" meat products, such as soup (broth) dips, pastries, etc.

Upvote 0

Vernonpush

Most sit-down restaurants ask if there are any "special dietary needs" when you make an ADR or as you are being seated. I have never done this, but I hear that the Chef will come to your table and discuss options that can be made just for you.

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Your friend will have absolutely no problem eating vegetarian at WDW. I'm a vegetarian and I think the food choices are great. (Much better than they used to be. I recall having to eat an apple and french fries for one meal back in '98.) Better than food choices at regular restaurants outside of WDW in my opinion. There's always something on the menu. One of my favorites is the grilled vegetable sandwich at the Backlot Express. And the Coral Reef and Whispering Cayon Cafe both have delicious roasted squash dishes. Almost all burger places offer veggie burgers too. Cosmic Rays has a great bar where you can get sauted onions and other toppings for your veggie burger. The Sci Fi Dine In has a really good portobello mushroom dish with mashed potatoes. So, yeah, plenty of options!

Upvote 0

smk

Your friend will have absolutely no problem eating vegetarian at WDW. I'm a vegetarian and I think the food choices are great. (Much better than they used to be. I recall having to eat an apple and french fries for one meal back in '98.) Better than food choices at regular restaurants outside of WDW in my opinion. There's always something on the menu. One of my favorites is the grilled vegetable sandwich at the Backlot Express. And the Coral Reef and Whispering Cayon Cafe both have delicious roasted squash dishes. Almost all burger places offer veggie burgers too. Cosmic Rays has a great bar where you can get sauted onions and other toppings for your veggie burger. The Sci Fi Dine In has a really good portobello mushroom dish with mashed potatoes. So, yeah, plenty of options!
That sounds yummy :slurp: . So much has changed for vegetarians!

Upvote 0

sorceresssamara

I myself am a sorta vegetarian. I eat very very little meat. I have never had a problem finding food options at Disney. I also have a dairy allergy and have had no issues finding foods to eat. Buffets are good choices. Also, if you call ahead to Disney Dining that have various vegetarian options.

For Example: The people I go with like to eat at the Hoop De Doo which offers BBQ. I call ahead and are able to pick from vegetarian dishes ( I usually get rice with grilled veggies) It is by far the best meal I've had at Disney! I think they need 72 hours notice and if you have reservations it is already noted on the reservation that you requested a special meal.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Restaurant Marrakesh is a good place to hit when you are at Epcot...
hopefully they will eat fish:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Seafood Bastilla - baked layers of thin pastry stuffed with grouper, shrimp, mushrooms, vermicelli, onions and egg $6.95
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jasmina Salad - an assortment of fresh vegetables served on a bed of lettuce $5.95
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mediterranean Seafood Platter - shrimp ragout, broiled salmon and seafood bastilla $31.95
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Couscous - the national Moroccan dish - rolled semolina steamed and served with seasonal vegetables (also served with meat) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vegetable Couscous $19.95

The desserts are yummy too! This is one of our favorite places to eat.

[/FONT]

Upvote 0

zjer

My wife and I are both Vegan and the hardest place to find a bite to eat is Animal Kingdom. You would think that in a place that cherishes animals, there would be a vegetarian option. We always get the park hopper and ram it over to EPCOT for dinner and eat at the San Angel Inn. Just ask for a vegetarian menu. Mexican and Chinese food is always the easiest to find a vegetarian option.

Upvote 0

PeeplMoovr

My wife and I are both Vegan and the hardest place to find a bite to eat is Animal Kingdom. You would think that in a place that cherishes animals, there would be a vegetarian option. We always get the park hopper and ram it over to EPCOT for dinner and eat at the San Angel Inn. Just ask for a vegetarian menu. Mexican and Chinese food is always the easiest to find a vegetarian option.

Agreed. My wife and I are both veggies/vegan and we usually get out of Animal Kingdom when the first rumbles of hunger start. And we also noticed the irony about "animal-free" menus not being available in Animal Kingdom. :p

Otherwise we're able to find enough veggie options to keep us going. If we need a quick veggie option, we usually head to the Rose & Crown for a Guinness. Veggie, and filling. :)

Upvote 0

nicholas

Vegan here, so let me give you some great things I've found in the parks to eat.

First and foremost, I suggest getting the Vegetarian Walt Disney World Book. You can find it on amazon if you can't find it in a book store. It became a Bible to me for my trips, lol.

The best restaurant for veggies/vegans in all of WDW has got to be Boma at AKL. It was actually voted best vegetarian restaurant award in 2001. When I went, I told one of the chefs behind the pods that I was Vegan and the head chef (he's awesome, by the way) personally came out and walked me along the entire length of the buffet and told me which items were ok for me to eat and which weren't. That was enough for me, but then he proceeded to go back to the kitchen and personally make me three or four courses that he had created on the fly and hand delivered them to my table. Complete with the most amazing dessert I've ever had at WDW. They treat veggies/vegans like a king in that restaurant, lol.

At the studios, be sure to stop in at Sci-fi for the Grilled Marinated Tofu with a Mango Glaze. It was so good I went back a couple days later just to have it again.

But seriously. Get that book. It will help immensely.

And I apologize if I repeated things that everyone else aready said, but I just got so excited to reply that I skipped to the end. Sue me :p

Upvote 0

THOMASCLAN85

Thanks!

Vegetarian Walt Disney World and Greater Orlando, 2nd: The Essential Guide for the Health-Conscious Traveler by Susan Shumaker and Than Saffel

Is this the one?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom