Value Resort Choices

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Those that have read any of my trip reports (linked in signature) or seen many of my posts here know that we tend to stay at the value resorts. We spend very little time in our room and just can't justify spending more for rooms that we really just sleep and shower in. As a result, planning is usually fairly simple for us. We book a room at ASMo we're good to go... but...

I'm trying to make a decision regarding our next trip and, though it's a ways off, I started playing with some numbers today and want your opinion on something.

I was using the first week of December as my "play" week (not that we're going then). I noticed the following differences in per-night room cost:

All Stars: $110
POP: $117
AoA (mermaid): $127

We've stayed at POP twice and loved it... this last trip in March though we specifically stayed there because of it's proximity to AoA and wanting to tour it. The tour ultimately lead to us realizing we'd really like to stay there. We were playing with the idea of saying "screw it" and booking a suite (my DS7 reallllly wants to stay in the Cars suites) but we're talking $173 more a night over a mermaid room so I think that's out.

What I'm trying to get a feel for is your opinions on if the extra $17 a night is truly worth it for the mermaid rooms vs. another stay at ASMo. Over the course of a 4 night stay (which is what we usually do) that'd be about $80. Doesn't sound like much but we are a family on a tight budget so wherever we can save is preferable. Ultimately it's really more justifying it in my head and my husband's head that the $80 is worth it.

Note: We are a family of one female (me) and two males so the room theming in general isn't really a "plus" for us vs. the ability to use the AoA pool and proximity to that food court and just being on that property in general.

Thoughts?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
My personal opinion:

If money is an issue, go with an All Star stay. Realistically, the focus of a four night stay is going to be maximizing your park time and the resort is just a bed to sleep in.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Yeah, if your budget is tight and you don't really want or need the extra space of the suite then go with All Stars. As you said your don't plan to spend much time in your room, that money you "save" on the room could be spent on Mickey Premium Bars!

Mac4life30

On the other hand $10 more and your in a much nicer Hotel. I would settle for in between All Star and AoA. You are going during off season so I dont think cheerleaders, music groups, Brazilian groups will be an issue at AS but you never know. I would settle for PoP for the fact that normally the bus will be less crowded or at least you have a better chance of it being less crowded.

DisneyDebNJ

Budget wise, I have to agree with other posters, do what is most comfortable for your wallet. Having said that, my son said Pop is the best of your choices. (I have not stayed at the resorts you listed, but he has) He did said, there really isn't a bad place to stay on property, however the All Star resorts, in his experiences, seem to house more tour groups than Pop did. Hope that helps a bit

Mukta

The mermaid rooms are still fairly new and in good shape. That alone would be worth $17 to me.

The only downside is that those rooms are still popular and most discounts don't apply to them.

Mac4life30

The mermaid rooms are still fairly new and in good shape. That alone would be worth $17 to me.

The only downside is that those rooms are still popular and most discounts don't apply to them.

Not to mention I have better chances of walking on to TSM at 12 noon then I do of getting availability in a Mermaid Room.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I tend to advise the middle of the road Pop option. The locations is better, you have a full time dedicated one stop bus route, no Pop Warner players, and a little bit better food court.

jw24

I'd go Pop Century. By the looks of it, you're going during the offseason but keep in mind that the All-Stars share buses during those times, all times when going to Downtown Disney and non-peak times for the parks so you could wait longer for a bus as opposed to Pop Century or Art of Animation. Of course, if financial concerns are your biggest priority, then I'd go with the All-Stars but they tend to house the large groups as people have stated. If you can afford it, then do it.

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the responses! Maybe a little clarification... :)

1) Not 100% sure WHEN we are going (I was just using that week in December to play) so peak/off-peak is all possible. We've been doing this for a long time though and I have learned to avoid peak as much as I can. Our favorite times are March and October.
2) We've stayed at ASMo and Pop quite a few times. Ultimately what I'm trying to determine is, would a room at AoA be justified over ASMo/Pop (not should I stay at ASMo, Pop or AoA) and if so, for what reasons. :D
3) Oh and we don't ever use the Disney busses so good/bad/indifferent doesn't influence anything for me there. LOL!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks everyone for the responses! Maybe a little clarification... :)

1) Not 100% sure WHEN we are going (I was just using that week in December to play) so peak/off-peak is all possible. We've been doing this for a long time though and I have learned to avoid peak as much as I can. Our favorite times are March and October.
2) We've stayed at ASMo and Pop quite a few times. Ultimately what I'm trying to determine is, would a room at AoA be justified over ASMo/Pop (not should I stay at ASMo, Pop or AoA) and if so, for what reasons. :D
3) Oh and we don't ever use the Disney busses so good/bad/indifferent doesn't influence anything for me there. LOL!

For just the room, no. They are all nearly identical no matter if you are at the All Stars, Pop or AoA. The difference is the grounds and amenities. AoA is the best, followed by Pop and then the All Stars in that respect.

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
For just the room, no. They are all nearly identical no matter if you are at the All Stars, Pop or AoA. The difference is the grounds and amenities. AoA is the best, followed by Pop and then the All Stars in that respect.
Ok that's more where I'm going. We've stayed at ASMo and Pop, we've toured the AoA property and fell in love with it... that is ultimately what lead to us now wondering if we should stay there on our next trip. I know there are sneaky ways to get into the pools without having stayed there but I'm one of those boring rule followers so we won't do it. I know we could eat at the food court there no matter where we stay, and if we stayed at Pop obviously that'd be even easier, but I also know the room is exactly the same size and wasn't sure if anyone out there would say "yes, the theming of it and the pools on the AoA property are totally worth the extra $17 a night." :D

popcenturylover

We've stayed at both POP & AOA. I think that it is totally worth it to stay there! The theming is phenomenal! The LMRs are a bit on the girly side but, you can visit the other pools. The food court is great! It has some unusual offerings. With that said we also like POP. You could stay there but, you wouldn't be able to use AOA's pools. They both have their own busses although we thought that POP's was a lot more efficient.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom