Value, Moderate and Deluxe? Value for Money???

MarkJ

I have visited all the hotels at WDW - but only stayed at the Carribbean Beach, All Star Sports and the Dolphin. Hotels like the Grande Floridian, the Contemporary and the Ploynesian are lovely places in excellent locations, the Swan and Dolphin, whilst not to everyone's taste architecturally ( is that a word??) are nice to stay in - the moderates are all pleasant and the value resorts offer good quality accomodation.

I am interested to know why people stay in the Luxury hotels - I could afford to stay there if I wanted to but I would rather use my money for food, entertainment and activities - when I am at Disney I mostly want my room for sleeping and showering. Next time we go I am really considering the All Star or Pop Century as I think they give such good value for money.

I would be keen to hear your comments as to why I should stay somewhere more expensive ( and in the cae of the GF 3-4 times more expensive!!!)

Ta!!

Sally_doll

I try to stay at the beach club any chance i get. I love POR but beach club is just better in my opinion. The location, the pool, the atmosphere is wonderful. Ofcourse any disney hotel is fine with me but i find the deluxe just has a little more to offer.:)

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Good point. We stay at Deluxes and Moderates too.

However, at the Deluxes, sure you getextra frills, but not for "free," just the pool is built into the price. Weight rooms, hairstyling places, boating, biking, all other recreation, restaurants, valet and everything else I didd not mention you still have to pay in addition to the HIGH room rates.

So the frills are extra. Not inclusive. Not that one could legitimately include the price of a haircut in a room rate, but weight room usage and boating could be included perhaps, for the high rates. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Pippa

I found the Boardwalk had just more luxury than the Caribbean Beach although both were great in their own right. The Boardwalks location was a MAJOR plus however, especially after the fireworks at MGM or Epcot. Personally if money is not a problem then go for the deluxe resort, heck you only live once!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Well we have only stayed at the Contemporary, Poly and the Wilderness. The Wilderness is our Favorite. There is just something about that place. Since its our only vacation for the year we like to do it up big. There are a few other resorts I'd like to try, POR is top of my list, but I always get voted down. Oh well, at least its Disney. :wave:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I have stayed at 2 out of the 3 existing Value resorts and all 4 of the Moderates. I dont care for the Values as they are too crowded and too many kids. I have had enough minor problems that unless I have no other choice ( dont know how that might happen but......) I will always choose a Moderate over a Value level resort. As far as Moderate to Deluxe, that I cant speak on as I havent gotten to that level as of yet. Belle

Upvote 0

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
I think atmosphere has a lot to do with it. If you like living in luxury, then a Deluxe is the way to go. In other words, if you prefer to be pampered, etc.

But having stayed in The Cont.,, Poly., Fort Wilderness, and All Star Sports, the best value is the All Star Resorts. Think about it. Most of us go there to enjoy the parks, meals, and gifts that we like to buy for ourselves. I would think that a large majority of us don't really "need" to eat at 4 star restaurants 3 meals a day. Or need to get a massage 2/3 days a week. If you want to jog, head out your door at any All Star Resort. There's plenty of road to jog. And as I understand it, you can gain access to some resorts gyms, although you may not be staying in them. (could be misinformed on that one though). It also depends on whether or not you have children I think. In these times a dollar goes a lot further at an All Star Resort, than it does at The GF.

To each his own I always say.

Upvote 0
We stay in a deluxe because there are 5 of us. We would have to get either 2 moderate rooms or 2 value rooms. We have stayed at the Polynesian, our favorite, AKL, Contemporary, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Swan. After our FTP was over I priced 2 value resort rooms and then I priced the swan with a govt. disc. and the rollaway charge. It was almost the same so I chose the swan just for the location and that awesome pool I saw in the pictures. It was so uncrowded and enjoyable. We had our pick of chairs and didnt have to put a towel on one to save a space. I still cringe at all the money we have to spend. We will only consider staying on site and try to save as much as possible. We only used disney transportation, have one good meal a day, bring lots of snacks and never ask or book for anything other than a garden view room (the cheapest view at a deluxe). We have never been upgraded to anything else nor have we asked or expected it. I don't feel like the deluxe resorts are a value at all its just because of our family size we are stuck there. We, I guess don't fit into disneys idea of the typical family of 4 people. My dream would one day be to have a resonable priced resort on site for more than 4 people. Yes I know you can rent DVC points etc. The swan will probably be where we end up this summer unless disney comes out with some great package again like the FTP. Our kids are getting older and we are looking at alot of college bills on the horizon. So every penny will count. I know this may sound strange but I personally like us all in one room and we have 3 ds so I am outnumbered. But I know I can keep any eye on them and they wont fight as much or stay up late, (especially when I am planning on ee to avoid the summer heat). We really dont spend that much time in the room anyway except for an a/c or swim break during the hot aug. afternoons.

Upvote 0

Scooter

My wife and I only stay at Deluxe resorts and only specific ones at that.

We only stay at the Monorail Resorts.

We are by no means rich, nor do we think we are better than anyone else.

We stay there for the convieniences, the quiet, and the Monorail.

We're not that crazy about the Disney buses but we choose not to drive while staying at Disney World. The Contemporary Resort being walking distance to The Magic Kingdom is a plus and being able to hop on the Monorail to the TTC and EPCOT is nice also.

While we have visited The Wilderness lodge and The Animal Kingdom Lodge and find them to be beautiful, we feel "Stranded" and at the mercy of the Bus drivers and Ferry boats while there.

We stay in the 12th floor Contemporary Tower club rooms alot also. The views are awesome and we like the breakfast that is offered each morning. It allows us to eat and get to the parks without waiting to be seated in a Restaurant or waiting in line in a Snack Shop. We are early risers and get out of bed, eat breakfast, and are at the Park Gates by no later than 9:00AM

We adore the quiet pools that some of Deluxe resorts offer and the peace and quiet and privacy as well.

Is all this worth the price we have to pay?

To us it is. We would rather save our money up and stay at a Monorail resort than go more often and not be able to afford to stay somewhere less comfortable to us.

I have heard people make statements like. "Why get an expensive room when all you do is sleep in them?"
Well, my wife and I don't just sleep in our Resort. We Sleep, eat, drink,shop, relax, go for strolls, swim, sunbathe, watch TV, and sometimes just hang out and do nothing.

We learned from our first to trips to Disney World that taking some time out, and just chilling is a very relaxing part of our Disney Vacation.

Our Resort is not just a place to sleep...it's our home base and home away from home to us. So in MY humble opinion we ARE getting the best value for our money when we stay at a Deluxe resort.

Upvote 0

billybaruch1

Originally posted by MarkJ
I have visited all the hotels at WDW - but only stayed at the Carribbean Beach, All Star Sports and the Dolphin. Hotels like the Grande Floridian, the Contemporary and the Ploynesian are lovely places in excellent locations, the Swan and Dolphin, whilst not to everyone's taste architecturally ( is that a word??) are nice to stay in - the moderates are all pleasant and the value resorts offer good quality accomodation.

I am interested to know why people stay in the Luxury hotels - I could afford to stay there if I wanted to but I would rather use my money for food, entertainment and activities - when I am at Disney I mostly want my room for sleeping and showering. Next time we go I am really considering the All Star or Pop Century as I think they give such good value for money.

I would be keen to hear your comments as to why I should stay somewhere more expensive ( and in the cae of the GF 3-4 times more expensive!!!)

Ta!!

Yes! Architecturally is a perfectly good adverb, according to my Webster's.

I am also interested in why people do what they do. A lot of it is habit, I believe. We are motivated to perpetuate the behaviors to which we have become accustomed, in my opinion.

There is a wealth of valuable insight in the posts on this thread preceding mine. From the "you only live once" to the practicality of the family of 5, you can learn a lot. Also, surfsupdon makes a very good point about the luxury resorts (in effect) charging us twice for having the amenity available and then making us pay for it.

My take, having never stayed at a Disney Deluxe, is that the Monorail Resorts are the top-of-the-line, designed for families and convenient to the Magic Kingdom. Other more recent Deluxes (WL and AKL) are not as expensive. I see the Epcot Deluxes (Y&B and BW) as top-of-the-line, too.

For me, the most important consideration is, as you suggested, how much time will one actually be awake at the resort to enjoy it?

I believe two more of my opinions may be of interest to you. 1) Buy the best; you'll never be disappointed. 2) Always save the best for last. :sohappy:

Edit: motivated not motivatived. :dazzle:

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

I only find it acceptable for Deluxes to be high priced for their close proximity to the parks, meaning no buses (poor AKL though). That is a def. frill, as is the extra ambiance, but all Resorts offer that little extra in themeing anyway.

Everything else at Deluxes you pay for once in the roomrate as it is offered to you, then pay extra to use the thing offered.

Also 5 in a room is an added bonus!!

Upvote 0
Originally posted by surfsupdon
I only find it acceptable for Deluxes to be high priced for their close proximity to the parks, meaning no buses (poor AKL though). That is a def. frill, as is the extra ambiance, but all Resorts offer that little extra in themeing anyway.

Everything else at Deluxes you pay for once in the roomrate as it is offered to you, then pay extra to use the thing offered.

Also 5 in a room is an added bonus!!

Sorry but I don't quite get what you mean by 5 in a room is a bonus. For my family of 5 I priced 2 cb rooms and came up with $298 and then its just $299 for bc for 1 room and its only $199 at the swan, so how is my 5 a bonus at a deluxe? I would much rather have a disney moderate for 5 at a moderate price which is impossible according to disney room occupany standards now. So the only non disney on site alternative for us is the swan/dolphin.

Upvote 0

pandora174

We usually stay at deluxe resorts or moderates. If we want to splurge nothing beats a Disney deluxe hotel. We've stayed at the WL and the CR and this Dec. are splitting our stay between the Poly & BWI. We spend alot of time at the resorts not just sleeping. We enjoy walking around the resorts, eating at the different restaurants, the pools, shopping, hanging out in the room etc. We try to spend about half a day at the parks & the rest in the resort. We just love the Disney service and feel of their resorts, specially the Deluxes. When we have more of a budget to consider we go to the Moderates & have a great time too. But for some reason we end up spending more time at the parks than the hotel. Now, we are Fl residents and AP holders & I will never pay rack rate. We only go when there's codes with a good discount. Otherwise it would be too expensive. But I can see why others might disagree. But this is our experience and the deluxe's with their location, theming, service, restaurants just add a little extra magic for us :sohappy:

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
We always stay at a Deluxe, ever since our stay at the CBR when it first opened. When my daughter and I stayed on a solo trip, it was fine. When our husband joined us on the next trip, he was less than delighted. He felt crowded; not only by the room size, but by the beds! We have a King at home, and sleeping in a Full is just uncomfortable. We can tolerate a Queen, but that's about it. ;) Also, he likes to be pampered (why else would he have married me? :lol: ) so dislikes counter service restaurants. He also didn't like the long walk (depending upon which building you were assigned) to the food courts and active pool.

He works long hours, studied for years, and we lived through the "lean" times, so if he wants to enjoy a little pampering on vacation, fine. ;) We don't mind buses IF they are running frequently, and aren't crowded. We rather enjoy the AKL, and like being "Far from the Madding Crowd." Sometimes, we also enjoy being in the middle of things. How wonderful that WDW has a resort to fit our every mood, and we can book accordingly.

Now if it's NOT a vacation...look out! My daughter was so happy when I came on the second round of college tours! He would only stay in the absolutely cheapest motel he could find! :eek:

Upvote 0

Donfan

Value

If all you're looking for is a cheap place to sleep, there are plenty of cheap motels not all that far away in Kissimmee (less that $50 a night; I've stayed in places for $35 a night). Value also has to include things like atmosphere, convenience, ambiance, and quality. We just stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and it certainly includes all those things. We really like Port Orleans Riverside which has really good features, as well. Obviously, it's a matter of personal opinion, and aren't we lucky that Disney gives us such a great selection to have to choose from.

Upvote 0

jake

My family has stayed at the Contemporary and the Polynesian. We like the deluxe resorts mainly because of the monorails and the overall themeing of them. We don't get to go to Disney every year so when we do we really want to feel the magic. To us a monorail is a lot more magical than a diesel bus. Having said that I am really wanting to try out the Wilderness Lodge and their ferry boat. But as someone else above me said, it is really to each his own and what I like, you might not and we are both more interesting people because of it.:animwink:

Upvote 0

jake

Boy!! that last sentence in my above post was kind of like the Energizer bunny, it kept going and going..... Sorry about rambling.:hammer:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom