ValidFill at Resorts

Pioneer Hall

While quite true but I wonder if has finally reached a tipping point. Like you said it is all a numbers game. The second a system like saves Disney money they will implement it. I do not spend much time in the resort food courts and I have been seeing quite a bit of flat out stealing. Forget bringing back a an old resort mug, I have seen numerous people with the 44oz cups from HESS, Racetrack, etc. If I am seeing instances like that on nearly every visit I can only imagine how often it is happening.

This could most certainly be true, I don't pretend to have insider knowledge of the situation. Just saying that up until this point none of the bean counters have decided it needed to be implemented. Who knows if they think it needs to at this point. The only thing we do know is that none of the current mugs are outfitted for such a thing unless they go sticker like they do at the water parks. My guess is that there are thousands of mugs in a warehouse somewhere.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This could most certainly be true, I don't pretend to have insider knowledge of the situation. Just saying that up until this point none of the bean counters have decided it needed to be implemented. Who knows if they think it needs to at this point. The only thing we do know is that none of the current mugs are outfitted for such a thing unless they go sticker like they do at the water parks. My guess is that there are thousands of mugs in a warehouse somewhere.
I have no doubt that they have a warehouse full of them but they could easily retrofit them with a RFID label until the stock runs out.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see if this happens.

polymissy

Welcome, Neoshinok!

I've often wondered, since my first trip to Blizzard Beach in 2001, why the resorts didn't use a bar code system like the water parks. I have seen a lot of mug abuse over the years, and I'm sure Disney will implement whatever is most cost effective.

Can't wait to see how this pans out!

mickey2008.1

I like Grumpy's idea. We would definitely purchase a cup for use everywhere and be done with it. Just scan the barcode for the cup at the station, turns the machine on, fill up, machine turns off until next customer. Have central purchasing stations for the cups at parks and at resorts. No bar code, no pop for you!

mgf

Adding to the general thought process, it seems a bigger savings in terms of money and efficiency would be in moving all drink stations into the general dining areas at QS restaurants. Doing this would allow for a reduction in labor as well as improve the service rates at the POS because counter wait time is reduced. Improvements in service time could lead to faster turn over rates at the tables, something that they have been trying to fix at Pecos Bills for example. In food service, these measures are often critical to generating profits. That said, I would imagine removing 3-5 employees per shift from behind the counter could be driving this idea.

Additional thought: Holiday World and Splashin' Safari in Santa Clause, IN is rather famous for advertising free unlimited Pepsi products in the parks (as well as parking and sunscreen). While it is actually "free" at Holiday World, perhaps Disney is leaning in the same directions with something like unlimited soft drinks for resort guests. I am sure there will be a cost to the consumer, it is just a question of whether the cost will be explicit (ie a mug) or implicit (ie a higher rack rate).

neoshinok

Original Poster
Thanks for the discussion everyone. This was the first thing I've deemed worthy of posting to the forum.

One thing I'd like to add to the conversation is I think this measure is not related to loss of product stolen. As posted by others, the soda fountain maintenance and cost of drink replenishment are minimal. The real issue is the loss of potential profit from people avoiding the purchase of a new mug. They likely lose next to nothing from the product being stolen, but potentially lose millions annually from mug sales not occurring as often, with people using alternative methods at the fountains.

I'm sure this program hasn't been rolled out yet, as the ValidFill employee I spoke to mentioned they had just begun work, but I think once all the hardware is in place we may see this Resort-wide in the coming months.

mgf

1. Replace dispensers with those that have RFID readers.

I think it would be a matter of retrofitting rather than replacing. Dispensers typically have a key control that dictates whether the machine is "on" or "off". I assume these key mechanisms are electronic rather than mechanical. So it could be as simple as removing the key mechanism and rewiring it with an RFID reader.

And another thought: We are assuming that Disney is covering the cost of the change over. This might not be entirely true. The vendor could be doing this as a massive proof of concept project that will expose its product to a massive customer base. Coke may be the ones interested in loss protection because I imagine that they are not making a huge profit off of Disney. Again, if I understand the spirit of contract correctly, it has more to do with market share and exposure. Alternatively, Coke may be interested in piloting something like this to deploy at other locations such as arenas, airports, etc. I am not an expert, but maybe this even has ties to pay-pass credit card technology and even the add-ons for mobile device transactions.

Someone with more electronics background care to chime in?

Ijones88

I just wish they would bring back the mugs with the resort names and year on them. They are the favorite ones in my collection, the generic ones just don't seem as memorable or special. Ditto on the souvenirs. When I went to the World in April, I spent less than $50 on souvenirs when I would usually spend several hundred dollars...are you listening Disney?? your loss....:(

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think it would be a matter of retrofitting rather than replacing. Dispensers typically have a key control that dictates whether the machine is "on" or "off". I assume these key mechanisms are electronic rather than mechanical. So it could be as simple as removing the key mechanism and rewiring it with an RFID reader.

And another thought: We are assuming that Disney is covering the cost of the change over. This might not be entirely true. The vendor could be doing this as a massive proof of concept project that will expose its product to a massive customer base. Coke may be the ones interested in loss protection because I imagine that they are not making a huge profit off of Disney. Again, if I understand the spirit of contract correctly, it has more to do with market share and exposure. Alternatively, Coke may be interested in piloting something like this to deploy at other locations such as arenas, airports, etc. I am not an expert, but maybe this even has ties to pay-pass credit card technology and even the add-ons for mobile device transactions.

The companies web site has a link to a company called Whirley drink works that makes plastic cups. Chances are they are both owned by the same company. If that is the case I am sure they would give away the RFID machines just to get the cup contract.

mgf

The companies web site has a link to a company called Whirley drink works that makes plastic cups. Chances are they are both owned by the same company. If that is the case I am sure they would give away the RFID machines just to get the cup contract.

Ding ding ding! Spot on, Master Yoda (as always). Just explored the website a little more and it says the owners of the cup company created ValidFill. I bet they are going to throw them in for free, especially considering the partnership with Coke. All in all, I think this is a smart business move for all parties and will probably yield/connect an amazing amount of consumer data.

Kamikaze

As a matter of course, Disney usually replaces rather than retrofits anything to do with food.

Coke provides the syrup for free, in exchange for being able to sell their product everywhere on property.

Don't know what that has to do with anything. RFID is really low tech.

love disney

Suppose this system does take place, and all the machines become RFID. What happens to those who don't want to spend money on a souvenir mug, but just want a one-time use paper cup? Will those require an RFID chip too? How would that factor into the cost for Disney? (I don't know much at all about this technology so maybe there is an easy solution to this???) Just curious

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Suppose this system does take place, and all the machines become RFID. What happens to those who don't want to spend money on a souvenir mug, but just want a one-time use paper cup? Will those require an RFID chip too? How would that factor into the cost for Disney? (I don't know much at all about this technology so maybe there is an easy solution to this???) Just curious
They could be incorporated into paper cups as well. I know that RFID labels can be purchased for less than 20 cents a piece with a quantity of only 500. Disney would be ordering tens if not hundreds of thousands of them which would cut that cost even further.

mgf

Don't know what that has to do with anything. RFID is really low tech.

Meaning my educational/work background allows me to understand the business end but I make no claims to totally understand the tech side. More to the point, I have no real knowledge of how/if the pay-pass credit cards (or pin and chip cards in Europe) and mobile device payments might come in to play. I was simply trying to defer to a member that has more expertise in this area (and avoid looking stupid in the process :D).

pianoman

Whirley makes the Disney mugs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom