Using the new Disability Access Service DAS Card

EOD K9

I was under the impression though, if you had a handicapped placard or plate, you could use the accessible parking regardless.

Upvote 0

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Parking at the parks;
With the GAC, you could park in the close parking area that included handicapped parking.
Can you do this with a DAS?
Wow, did not know that. We have a handicapped placard that we always bring if we rent a car. If I saw handicapped spots being taken by people without plates or placards, I would be inclined to call the sheriff's office to have them ticketed. You should NEVER have been able to park there with only a GAC or a DAS. I'm pretty sure that is against the law.

Upvote 0

afar28

Wow, did not know that. We have a handicapped placard that we always bring if we rent a car. If I saw handicapped spots being taken by people without plates or placards, I would be inclined to call the sheriff's office to have them ticketed. You should NEVER have been able to park there with only a GAC or a DAS. I'm pretty sure that is against the law.
Agree. It's kinda rude and takes away a spot from someone who actually needs it.
I'm sure though some people with the GAC/DAS do need it though

Upvote 0

natatomic

I worked in the toll plaza for a very brief stint - it was back in 2007, so things may have changed, but we never directed anyone to the handicap lot without a placard. The only GACs we gave any acknowledgement to were the GKTW green-light stamped ones. They got to park for free, but that was it. All others parked at usual.

Upvote 0

Pinkerton

Banned
Can anyone confirm that only those with Autism are being granted DAS passes? The word on the street is that even if you have a wheelchair and an invisible disability, you aren't getting a pass regardless.

Upvote 0

WDWBrit

YouTube video of the new process in action -http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2iXfWSlg08M

CMs don't look too comfortable with the cameras on them like that (who would?) but well-handled. I couldn't quite make out the other card that the CM handed over (about 7 mins in) - any ideas?

Upvote 0

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Before commenting, please read my thread thoroughly.

With the GAC, you could park in the close parking area that included handicapped parking.
The close parking area INCLUDED handicapped parking.

When we showed the GAC, we were directed to a close up parking lot and we would park in a non handicapped spot. I don't know if this parking is for VIPs. Special parking passes. But with the GAC, we had access.
Again, does anyone know if I can use the DAS for the close up parking?
That certainly isn't a problem. It's probably an area for the special passes, such as GAC, and I don't see why that would change under the DAS program.

Upvote 0

jencor

Parking at the parks;
Can you do this with a DAS?

With the parking trams, it is easier to park in the regular parking area. We have a wheel chair and have to park in the handicap area. In Magic Kingdom it is a much longer walk then if you parked in the regular parking and took the tram. Please leave the handicap parking to those who have no choice. Our last time there, there was no handicap parking available and we had to park in regular parking and walk from there. No tram for wheel chairs and that was early December when it was not at the busiest times of the year. I get tired before even getting to the parks.

Upvote 0

Rob562

If you don't have a wheelchair and go to park in the regular parking lot, you could always ask the CM directing you down the rows if you can park in one of the spaces at the front of the row by where the trams stop. They won't always do it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Hot Lava

I do not think it is legal to park in a legally designated handicap spot without a state issued placard. This is linked to state law. So it seems to me that any legally marked handicapped spot cannot be used be a DAS holder that does not also have a state issued parking placard.

Disney could designate other spots as DAS only, but laws regulate handicap spots, not the owner of a parking lot.

Upvote 0

BroganMc

Ok you guys want some tips on using DAS? Here goes from the perspective of someone who went from using GAC the first part of her trip and switched to DAS the last two days. I was in Disney from Sep 21 to Oct 11 of this year (2013). DAS was implemented on Oct 9, my second to last day of the trip.

I have a severe mobility-disability and a fragile body that leaves me wanting to avoid high crowd situations such as tight queues to protect myself from harm. I also use a power wheelchair and ride in wheelchair accessible vehicles where available. I am unable to do most of the transfer-only rides like the rollercoasters because my body won't safely allow me to ride or brace myself. I need lots of leg room and someone to lift me into vehicles if there's a step involved. There are a few transfer-only rides I can do (Test Track, Soarin' and Star Tours). Pirates was on my list too but they got new boats recently and now I don't have sufficient leg room to ride safely.

Before DAS was implemented I spoke with several CMs at the rides I'd use my old GAC for. I had the habit of using it at those long wait, crowded queue attractions like Toy Story, but if the way was under 20 minutes usually I just went in Standby. In the two weeks before DAS was implemented I used my GAC 4 times, for Soarin' and TSM. There are 7 possible rides where I'd use my GAC in Disney: all with notoriously busy queues and wheelchair vehicles or hard transfers (i.e. ones where family had to lift me into/out of a vehicle).

I talked to the CMs at my rides because I wanted to know what to expect. All were assured the only difference for me was that I'd get a Return Time and come back for my ride later. My concern was that given how DAS was written I'd encounter problems obtaining one from Guest Relations. There's a strong bias against people in wheelchairs obtaining a DAS. The assumption is that wheels alone solve all needs.

So October 9th I presented myself to Guest Relations in EPCOT. There I explained my needs to a CM and asked for a DAS card. He initially denied me insisting the program was for autistic kids, and only some autistic kids. I encountered his wheelchair bias and had a difficult time getting him to listen to my reasons for asking for a card. But I politely questioned his assumption there was no program for those with my sort of disabilities. That had him checking with a manager who took over my questioning. I was able to explain my concerns and needs and the manager issued me a DAS.

Unfortunately because it took longer for me to get a DAS and I was already starting out late in the day, I was not able to use it for a ride before my scheduled dinner plans. I got a Return Time for Test Track, but too close to my dinner. After dinner it was too chilly for me to do the ride. I skipped it and frankly went home feeling very discouraged by my experience at Guest Relations. Unlike as the Ride CMs assumed all week I did have trouble initially obtaining a DAS.

The next day I started fresh and went to Hollywood Studios. This day worked much better. I started out getting a Return Time at Toy Story where I met some very nice managerial CMs manning the Return Time distribution and talking to guests about DAS, I learned several things I wasn't told the day before.

1) Every DAS card has a barcode. Once a special needs guest has been approved and entered into the system, they can scan the barcode and reprint a new card. I was told to keep my card and just bring it back for future trips to make this process go much faster. No need to repeat myself every time. They also would keep my photo on file so could reprint that as well.

2) Anyone can cross out a Return Time on the back of the card. I still had my time for Test Track unused from the day before. When I brought it to the attention of the TSM CMs they just crossed that out and gave me a new time for TSM.

3) Think of a DAS as a guaranteed FP. You'll have to start planning your day like FP holders do, but at least you won't have to get to an attraction at rope drop or hang around to closing to use a Return Time. Go for the longest wait time first, then spend your time on queues for the under 30 minute attractions.

4) You can only have ONE return time at a time. That's why you save it for the longest waits and fill it with other things. You can also have regular FPs and FP+ times. Those able to utilize FP+ may want to pre-schedule their days around those 3 major attractions, spaced out with a DAS Return Time inbetween.

5) Anyone can get a Return Time filled out on the card. So you can send a runner ahead to grab a FPs and get a Return Time. Helpful if you have a disabled family member you don't want to send near a ride either because it causes meltdown confusion or they have physical stamina issues making repeat trips.

6) The DAS holder (one on the photo) MUST go on the attraction to redeem the Return Time. If he/she decides not to, then CMs will not let anyone else in the party board. If the DAS holder changes their mind, cross off the Return Time and get one for something else.

7) The DAS Return Time tells you how long you must wait before you come back. You can come back any time after that. (My TSM return was 85 mins. I came back 110 mins later because I was doing other things.)

8) Those with wheelchairs whose needs are all met by the wheels may encounter some inaccessible queues. Places where there are stairs. This is true for Star Tours and Spaceship Earth. In that case, you will be issued a Return Time ticket based on the Standby wait. This is a paper ticket that works like a DAS Return Time but is only good for the day and only for wheelies. When I went to Star Tours I presented myself at the Standby queue with just my wheelchair (I kept my DAS in my pocket since it already carried a Return Time.) Standby was 20 mins. A CM wrote me a Return Time ticket for 10 mins. (It's Standby minus 10 mins.) I went to the bathroom and returned 15 minutes later. Then I was admitted into the attractions wheelchair accessible loading path. Boarding went as usual from there.

A DAS holder would not have been given a second Return Time for this attraction since they had one active for TSM. It's for wheelies only. If they had no Return Time, they would be given a new RT of 10 mins like me.

9) When asking for a DAS, think specifically about what issues you have with waiting inside a queue of people. Being uncomfortable or not wanting to wait are not sufficient reasons for also needing DAS. They are being very strict about this because they're trying to cut out the cheaters and abusers. If your needs are met with wheels and you can have a productive day with FPs and FP+, you will probably find DAS doesn't offer you anything better. It is stressed repeatedly that DAS will not allow you to just walk onto a ride, go for repeat entries and avoid all waiting. It only affords you the ability to wait elsewhere where you can tend your needs and schedule your attractions with a bit more ease.

10) Currently they are not tracking wheelchair car demand so there's no staggering. You may find you return an hour or so later and still have to wait extra for the wheelchair line to clear. BUT they have seen more wheelie users in Standby (those scooter folks mainly). This is spacing out demand better. Unlike DisneyLand, scooters/ECVs can fit perfectly well in pretty much all queues.

11) Be calm, be patient and try to work on your planning a little more. DAS doesn't have GACs flexibility but it can help you have a more productive day. If you visiting WDW over the next few weeks and months, also take the time to talk to CMs about your experiences. They are taking copious notes now and looking for ways to improve the program. A stop at Guest Services at the end of your day to report on your findings will help them greatly. As is a nicely written letter when you get home.

All change is stressful. Just try not to let that boil over into unreasonable anger. You'll ruin your own vacation if you do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BroganMc

I do not think it is legal to park in a legally designated handicap spot without a state issued placard. This is linked to state law. So it seems to me that any legally marked handicapped spot cannot be used be a DAS holder that does not also have a state issued parking placard.

Disney could designate other spots as DAS only, but laws regulate handicap spots, not the owner of a parking lot.

Most likely a DAS user without a HA placard would be directed toward the guest drop-off areas or nearby Diamond parking lots. Diamond is right next to Handicapped parking.

You cannot park in Handicapped without a placard. State and Federal Law mandates that. Disney must abide by those rules if they want to offer public parking lots.

Upvote 0

Ariel Savage

Ok you guys want some tips on using DAS? Here goes from the perspective of someone who went from using GAC the first part of her trip and switched to DAS the last two days. I was in Disney from Sep 21 to Oct 11 of this year (2013). DAS was implemented on Oct 9, my second to last day of the trip.

8) Those with wheelchairs whose needs are all met by the wheels may encounter some inaccessible queues. Places where there are stairs. This is true for Star Tours and Spaceship Earth. In that case, you will be issued a Return Time ticket based on the Standby wait. This is a paper ticket that works like a DAS Return Time but is only good for the day and only for wheelies. When I went to Star Tours I presented myself at the Standby queue with just my wheelchair (I kept my DAS in my pocket since it already carried a Return Time.) Standby was 20 mins. A CM wrote me a Return Time ticket for 10 mins. (It's Standby minus 10 mins.) I went to the bathroom and returned 15 minutes later. Then I was admitted into the attractions wheelchair accessible loading path. Boarding went as usual from there.

So for attractions where the main stand-by line isn't accessible and you are forced to use an alternative entrance, such as the exit (haunted mansion) or the fast pass lane (space mountain), you now have to get a return time ticket even if the wait is just a few minutes? Am I understanding that right? What a hassle. Now it's just another thing to think about and prepare for. Great. Very magical, Disney.

Upvote 0

Dasnowz

just to clarify the disabled lots do not have posted handi-cap signs indicating a fine for parking there. Thus anyone can legally park there. The only indicator is a blue line on the ground. This is a sad thing and leaves for a lot of abuse.

Upvote 0
Most likely a DAS user without a HA placard would be directed toward the guest drop-off areas or nearby Diamond parking lots. Diamond is right next to Handicapped parking.

You cannot park in Handicapped without a placard. State and Federal Law mandates that. Disney must abide by those rules if they want to offer public parking lots.
This is correct. DAS users would not have access to Handicapped parking but would be directed to Diamond.

Upvote 0

Dasnowz

no they are not directed to the Diamond lot. They are directed to disability lot.

Diamond lot parking does involve a paid placard that is shown to a cm who directs you to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom