Using Dining Plan on Special Events

scritchell

Original Poster
All
I have been told that if I have the dining plan, i can use credits against other special events/meals that aren't in the Plan, for example, i can use 2 credits for certain character meals etc....
Is this correct and if so, does anyone have experience of doing this with certain restaurants/meals, and what was the experience, also does anyone know which meals cost which 'credits'
TYIA

nickys

Premium Member
All
I have been told that if I have the dining plan, i can use credits against other special events/meals that aren't in the Plan, for example, i can use 2 credits for certain character meals etc....
Is this correct and if so, does anyone have experience of doing this with certain restaurants/meals, and what was the experience, also does anyone know which meals cost which 'credits'
TYIA

Here's the link to the dining plan pages:

https://www.disneyholidays.co.uk/wa...utm_campaign=generic&utm_content=dining-plans

But somewhere on the site there's a full list of all restaurants with how many credits for each.

Signature dining costs 2 credits. I think the only character meal that cost 2 credits are Cinderella's Royal Table @ MK.

If you go onto the page for the restauarant, at the top RHS under the price range it shows "Some dining plans accepted" with a tick by it. Click on there and it will show you how many credits.

Here's the CRT page

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/dining/magic-kingdom/cinderella-royal-table/

And for good measure, here's the main dining page. Use the filters to sort what you want, or you'll be scrolling a loooooong time!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/dining/

Not sure what you mean exactly by the question though, about using credits against meals that aren't in the plan. Only a few non-Disney owned places at DS don't accept the plan, and you can't use it there. I think you probably mean the "signature" restaurants where you have to use 2 credits.

Did you know you can share meals, even on the dining plan? Except for buffets and all you can eat places, plus dinner shows. But anywhere a-la-carte, table or counter service, will let you share.

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks - looks like they dont take QS credits which is a shame, as that's all we would have

No, you can't trade QS credits for a table service meal. That's what you meant!

You can trade up your dining plan, or just pay for the character meal the old fashioned way (or use your magic band of course).

scritchell

Original Poster
No, you can't trade QS credits for a table service meal. That's what you meant!

You can trade up your dining plan, or just pay for the character meal the old fashioned way (or use your magic band of course).
We would only be getting the QS as i am waiting until WDW offer it for free before i book
What do you mean when you say 'trade up'? Also use the magic band?

nickys

Premium Member
We would only be getting the QS as i am waiting until WDW offer it for free before i book
What do you mean when you say 'trade up'? Also use the magic band?

So if the QS plan is offered for free with your package, you can then pay the difference in cost to get the TS (table service) plan instead.

And if you are staying onsite, you can charge to your room using your magic band. And the magic band links to your MDE account, so you use it for FPs, for entry to the parks (i.e.: your tickets) and your dining plan credits will be accessed by it too.

At a meal, the server will ask how you are paying. You can choose whether to use your dining plan credits or not.

To charge to your room with the magic band you link a credit card to your account and set up a PIN which you would enter every time you use the band to charge. When your charges reach a certain limit they run it through the card and zero your room charges.

scritchell

Original Poster
So if the QS plan is offered for free with your package, you can then pay the difference in cost to get the TS (table service) plan instead.

And if you are staying onsite, you can charge to your room using your magic band. And the magic band links to your MDE account, so you use it for FPs, for entry to the parks (i.e.: your tickets) and your dining plan credits will be accessed by it too.

At a meal, the server will ask how you are paying. You can choose whether to use your dining plan credits or not.

To charge to your room with the magic band you link a credit card to your account and set up a PIN which you would enter every time you use the band to charge. When your charges reach a certain limit they run it through the card and zero your room charges.
Ok, Thanks, do you know what the difference is in food between QS and DDP?
Is it the same food but we don't get a waiter? lol

nickys

Premium Member
Ok, Thanks, do you know what the difference is in food between QS and DDP?
Is it the same food but we don't get a waiter? lol

I'm sure the details are in those page links above, somewhere.

DDP is 1 TS and 1 QS, plus 2 snacks per person, per night. Your son will have to order off the children's menu for TS. But again, you can also share meals. And some of the QS meals are huge (Flame Tree @ AK for a start).

Oh and you get the refillable mugs for use in any resort. Not parks though.

scritchell

Original Poster
I'm sure the details are in those page links above, somewhere.

DDP is 1 TS and 1 QS, plus 2 snacks per person, per night. Your son will have to order off the children's menu for TS. But again, you can also share meals. And some of the QS meals are huge (Flame Tree @ AK for a start).

Oh and you get the refillable mugs for use in any resort. Not parks though.
I had a quick look, couldn't really see any thing
We get 2 QS meals and 2 snacks,
what does a QS meal consist of though?
Do we not have anywhere to sit? lol

nickys

Premium Member

On the Dining Plan page, under each one there's a blue "I" - click on that and it gives more details. So you can see a bit more about it.

The QS meals are also called Counter Service. They are basically walk up to a counter, order a burger/pizza/salad/hot dog with fries and a drink, so an entree plus drink. Find a seat. Just like McDonalds! Except they're huge and busier. And there's much more variety at most places. Oh and you can get an alcoholic drink now too.

scritchell

Original Poster
On the Dining Plan page, under each one there's a blue "I" - click on that and it gives more details. So you can see a bit more about it.

The QS meals are also called Counter Service. They are basically walk up to a counter, order a burger/pizza/salad/hot dog with fries and a drink, so an entree plus drink. Find a seat. Just like McDonalds! Except they're huge and busier. And there's much more variety at most places. Oh and you can get an alcoholic drink now too.
Ok, Thanks
When you say busy, how busy lol
Are we looking at a 30min queue?
I thought we could make reservations for QS, im guessing not

Hcalvert

Ok, Thanks

You can always call Disney and get a price quote of the difference between the two plans if you still want Table Service credits. The extra cost depends on your family size and number of nights of your stay. That is why no one can tell you the difference in price. I can share this: the standard Dining plan (1 Quick Service, 1 Table Service, 2 snacks per person per day) will cost each adult $23 extra a night and each child $4 extra a night. The only quick service I know that allows reservations is Be Our Guest for breakfast and lunch.

James J

In the Parks
No
Me and my other half paid the difference to upgrade to the regular Dining plan from the free quick service plan for our trip in October this year, and it's only costing us £140 extra each for the whole stay. For a 10 day trip I we're happy with that price and we'll definitely use all of the TS credits.

QS is just first come, first served for finding somewhere to eat. No reservations apart from Be Our Guest. As @nickys said, it's just like going to a fast food place like McDonald's, Burger King etc but with more variety in food.

Weather_Lady

Ok, Thanks

Quick service (a/k/a counter service) restaurants can get quite busy from 12pm-2pm, and 5pm-7pm, when the lunch and dinner rushes are going on. Arriving just a few minutes before or after the rush can make the difference between no wait and a 20 minute wait, but they do their best to move people through quickly.

You can't make advance dining reservations (a/k/a ADRs) for QS meals (except for Be Our Guest breakfast/lunch in the Magic Kingdom, which gets booked up months ahead), but many of the in-park QS locations have "Mobile Ordering," which allows you to log into your My Disney Experience account app and place your dining order ahead of time, while you're on your way to the restaurant. When you arrive, you tap a button in the app that lets the restaurant know you're there, at which point, your food starts to be made immediately, without you having to wait in a line to order. You can "pay" via the app, with DDP credits or with a credit/debit card. The list of eligible restaurants can be found here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobile-food-orders/

I suggest clicking on a few of the restaurant names so you can look at the menus and get an idea of what sorts of items you can expect at QS locations. (Most will offer a variety of things, with small differences based on location, size and theme: you'll typically find at least one burger, a sandwich or two, a couple of more healthful options like salads and vegetarian dishes, plus sides, drinks and desserts). Because my family only visits WDW every 2-3 years or so and the menus change frequently, I jot down a list of QS locations and notes on their menus (e.g., "flatbreads and salads," "seafood" or "tacos and fajitas") on the back of my written touring itinerary for each park, so my family can make choices about where to eat on the fly. I even put an asterisk next to those with indoor seating, so we know where to go if it's super hot or rainy. There's plenty of variety as long as you know where to find it. :)

Last edited:

slappy magoo

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/quick-service-dining-plan/
Each Quick-Service meal includes (for breakfast, lunch or dinner):
  • 1 Entrée (including a side item)
  • 1 Non-alcoholic Beverage (or Alcoholic Beverage, for Guests 21 and older)

Snacks:
At Quick-Service restaurants, most Outdoor Carts and select merchandise locations, snacks may include a single serving of items such as:

• Frozen ice cream novelty, popsicle or fruit bar
  • Popcorn scoop
  • 12 oz. coffee, hot chocolate or hot tea
  • Prepackaged milk or juice
  • Piece of whole fruit
  • Bag of snacks
  • 20 oz. bottle of Coca-Cola®, Sprite® or Dasani® water
  • 20 oz. fountain soft drink

If you're at a Quick Service restaurant, there should be seating but it's first come first serve, and sometimes people linger after eating, so no guarantees. If it's a vendor cart or kiosk type of place, there might be some seating in the immediate vicinity.

scritchell

Original Poster
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/quick-service-dining-plan/
Each Quick-Service meal includes (for breakfast, lunch or dinner):
  • 1 Entrée (including a side item)
  • 1 Non-alcoholic Beverage (or Alcoholic Beverage, for Guests 21 and older)

Snacks:
At Quick-Service restaurants, most Outdoor Carts and select merchandise locations, snacks may include a single serving of items such as:

• Frozen ice cream novelty, popsicle or fruit bar
  • Popcorn scoop
  • 12 oz. coffee, hot chocolate or hot tea
  • Prepackaged milk or juice
  • Piece of whole fruit
  • Bag of snacks
  • 20 oz. bottle of Coca-Cola®, Sprite® or Dasani® water
  • 20 oz. fountain soft drink

If you're at a Quick Service restaurant, there should be seating but it's first come first serve, and sometimes people linger after eating, so no guarantees. If it's a vendor cart or kiosk type of place, there might be some seating in the immediate vicinity.
Superb, thank you
Think I might go for the DDP option, as it sounds like you can exchange and make reservations
CS cannot

scritchell

Original Poster
Quick service (a/k/a counter service) restaurants can get quite busy from 12pm-2pm, and 5pm-7pm, when the lunch and dinner rushes are going on. Arriving just a few minutes before or after the rush can make the difference between no wait and a 20 minute wait, but they do their best to move people through quickly.

You can't make advance dining reservations (a/k/a ADRs) for QS meals (except for Be Our Guest breakfast/lunch in the Magic Kingdom, which gets booked up months ahead), but many of the in-park QS locations have "Mobile Ordering," which allows you to log into your My Disney Experience account app and place your dining order ahead of time, while you're on your way to the restaurant. When you arrive, you tap a button in the app that lets the restaurant know you're there, at which point, your food starts to be made immediately, without you having to wait in a line to order. You can "pay" via the app, with DDP credits or with a credit/debit card. The list of eligible restaurants can be found here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobile-food-orders/

I suggest clicking on a few of the restaurant names so you can look at the menus and get an idea of what sorts of items you can expect at QS locations. (Most will offer a variety of things, with small differences based on location, size and theme: you'll typically find at least one burger, a sandwich or two, a couple of more healthful options like salads and vegetarian dishes, plus sides, drinks and desserts). Because my family only visits WDW every 2-3 years or so and the menus change frequently, I jot down a list of QS locations and notes on their menus (e.g., "flatbreads and salads," "seafood" or "tacos and fajitas") on the back of my written touring itinerary for each park, so my family can make choices about where to eat on the fly. I even put an asterisk next to those with indoor seating, so we know where to go if it's super hot or rainy. There's plenty of variety as long as you know where to find it. :)
Superb, fantastic post
Thank you

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom