Use Magical Express or not?

alifares

When my family and I travel, we usually have a car of some sort pick up us from the airport and take us to our hotel. There are 3 adults and 4 children that are traveling for our trip to disney. Is it worth it to hire a limo or some type of big vehicle or is the disney magical express a good way to go. My kids are 1, 3, 7 and 11 so it takes a lot to get us places and i want this to be as smooth as possible

Aurora_25

The times we haven't driven to WDW we have used DME and LOVED it! Haven't had a bad experience yet with them. I love the convienence of not having to lug my own luggage after we get off the plane especially with 2 kids. Plus when I fly continental, when it is time to go back home, I just check in at the resort and get my boarding pass and they take my luggage so I don't have to hassle with checking them at the airport. So much better for me :)

Upvote 0

AEfx

It hasnt ever happened to me in the number of times I have used them!!!! DME Rocks!!!! Belle

DME does rock, so I don't want anyone to think I was dissing the service. It's just that, as someone that doesn't generally travel with kids or people with excessive luggage, I just don't find the benefit of having them get my luggage worth the potential risk.

It's also just my personality type, LOL. When I get to WDW, I'm only at the resort long enough to check-in, then I'm straight off to the parks. I just wouldn't have a good time not knowing if my bags were going to be in my room or not. 99.999% of the time I'm sure it works like clockwork - but the "effort" of grabbing my one bag on the way to DME isn't much of a hardship.

I'm sure you're bags will be fine, disneytati!

AEfx

Upvote 0

disneytati

I'm sure you're bags will be fine, disneytati!

AEfx

Thanks!:wave: After enduring a 9 hour flight to Atlanta, immigration, and a flight to Orlando, I really don't feel like carrying my luggage. LOL Specially because I'll be by myself, and I'm not the strong type of girl. :lol:

Upvote 0

disney2005

We just used it for the first time and thought it was great! We experienced no problems. We went from the plane, checked in with Disney Express and were directed onto the bus by someone. No waiting at all.

We had to check-in our luggage going home because US Airway doesn't participate in the return home express.

Although the Disney name is on the bus, the bus transportation is still with Mears. I know this because before the driver started the bus he made an announcement that he "is not a Disney cast member but a Mears employee".

Upvote 0

DisneyLover10

I only have 1 thing to comment on: The lines when we went (April-May) were long. They only allowed 1 person per family to go into the line, and for 1 person per family (WOW):eek: . I'd recommend doing the Magical Express.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Although the Disney name is on the bus, the bus transportation is still with Mears. I know this because before the driver started the bus he made an announcement that he "is not a Disney cast member but a Mears employee".
Big DME fan here.

Just to clarify, for those who may have had bad experiences with Mears in years past ....

Disney runs DME. Disney is in-charge of DME and makes ALL decisions about DME. They hire subcontractors to complete many of the tasks. For example, they hire Mears to supply the buses and the drivers.

So in terms of the transportation part of DME, Mears is the muscle but Disney is the brains. This is good news. When I've read complaints about Mears in the past, the complaints tended to be about long waits and endless stops and generally that it was run inefficiently; the complaints weren't about the hardware (buses) or the drivers. With Disney making all of the decisions about DME, Mears doesn;t have the opportunity to do things like they did before.

Mears is the muscle, Disney is the brains.

Upvote 0

adventurelander

I rather pay $100.00 plus tip for a car to pick us up. They meet you at baggage claim, you get right in the car and they'll even give you a grocery stop. We arrive at the resort very quickly. They are very reliable to and from the airport. Plus after being on the plane, it feels better having a car to yourself and someone to drive you. We use Tiffany Town Car and wouldn't ever do it any other way.

Upvote 0

Cindyrella

I can't say enough good things about DME. I have used it for my last 8 trips (and will using it again on 1/25.) I never get tired of watching the video they show on the way to the resorts.

Upvote 0

susan5027

During our last trip (Aug. '06) we used DME with no problems. Our plane arrived near midnight and there were people waiting for us. The airport was not crowded so we were helped right away. There were stops at other disney resorts along the way, which fed our anticipation to get to our resort. No luggage problems at all.

What did scare me was the HUGE maze of lines obviously for the busy times of the day. I would like to know how long is the typical wait during the 4pm busy time??? I'm seriously thinking about an alternative transportation if the wait is really long.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

The overall average time from airplane exit to resort drop-off is 70 minutes.

During busier times of the day, they have more CMs at the Welcome Center and more buses running, in order to accommodate the bigger crowds.

Upvote 0

jillybeaner21

I've used DME twice now. The first time we decided that we'd like to take our own luggage. It worked great!

This past august when I went we dedided to let Disney take care of the bags. Thank goodness we packed our bathing suits and extra clothes in our carry-on bags. We arrived at the Wilderness Lodge at aroun 12ish and our bags didn't show up till almost 6pm!! That was a little ridiculous!

So I would definately still use DME just make sure to pack some essentials in your carry-ons in case your luggage is delayed.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom