US Cinemas Are Reopening Slowly.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I remember when everyone and their mother said the movie theater would die off because of COVID. AMC and other chains would never re-open. Now they're open and people are going. Funny how that works.
I think the consensus at least here in this forum is that movie theaters would reopen, but that levels would not return to 2019 levels until at least fall. And that looks to still be the case if the recent box office numbers are any indication.

However what 2020 has proven is that streaming with day and date and even the 17-45 day window is a viable contender to the traditional theatrical releases. And that the landscape for media consumption is rapidly changing even faster than previously predicted. And its just a matter of time once things get back to normal theater attendance that studios will find that happy medium between theatrical and streaming release schedules.

Wendy Pleakley

I think the consensus at least here in this forum is that movie theaters would reopen, but that levels would not return to 2019 levels until at least fall. And that looks to still be the case if the recent box office numbers are any indication.

However what 2020 has proven is that streaming with day and date and even the 17-45 day window is a viable contender to the traditional theatrical releases. And that the landscape for media consumption is rapidly changing even faster than previously predicted. And its just a matter of time once things get back to normal theater attendance that studios will find that happy medium between theatrical and streaming release schedules.

And we'll continue to see a shift to the upper scale theaters. Most of the ones near me have moved away from high capacity venues. They've added recliner seats which take up more space, and push extras like meal delivery and other add-ons. Less people but more income per person.

People will still go to the the theater for big event movies, but I can see smaller films continue to be pushed more to streaming on demand.

Archie123

I remember when everyone and their mother said the movie theater would die off because of COVID. AMC and other chains would never re-open. Now they're open and people are going. Funny how that works.

No one said that movie theaters would die off. Some said that the old model may be changed forever due to Covid and that it was going to be a long time until we had a pre-Covid movie experience and we are seeing that still to this day.

Mmoore29

What does this mean? The comments in the story are saying "Disney was going to find an excuse to leave, and they're going to forever be done with theatrical windows."

What is Disney going to do? Could they choose to attend in person after all, or will they do a virtual presentation? And regardless of how they appear, what will they do and say there regarding their theatrical plans?

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

What does this mean? The comments in the story are saying "Disney was going to find an excuse to leave, and they're going to forever be done with theatrical windows."

What is Disney going to do? Could they choose to attend in person after all, or will they do a virtual presentation? And regardless of how they appear, what will they do and say there regarding their theatrical plans?
is Disney will be done for theatrical windows for good forever? Is the movie theaters is finally end as well too?:eek:

Mmoore29

is Disney will be done for theatrical windows for good forever? Is the movie theaters is finally end as well too?:eek:
Is that meant to be serious or sarcasm? I can't tell.

In anyways, what is going to happen because of Disney apparently not attending CinemaCon in person?

brodie999

Original Poster

Ripken10

Shang-Chi is poised to gross $90 million on Labor Day weekend. Some analysts think that it may as well become the first movie to make $100 million in 3 days.
Note - that's $90 million Worldwide. If I am not mistaken, Black widow made over $158 million in its first 3 days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom