Upgrade!

Missymoe4

When checking in this morning at Coronado, the cast member brought up our reservation and I knew something was up because her face turned and she called over the supervisor/manager. The cm pointed at the computer and told the manageer to 'look' at whatever was written on the computer. The manager told the cm that she would explain that note to her later.

The cm then started to tell us that set for the Cabanas section of the resort. We requested Casitas and we really did not want Cabanas for several reasons. Plus, since we are staying for 13 nights we wanted a room that was more to our liking. I totally understand that a request is just that...a request. However, the supervisor kept apologizing to us and a then another lady popped out from in back saying that they are booked solid and that she called the Wilderness Lodge and set us up there if we would like. Of course we took it!! Disney set us up with their shuttle and took us straight over to the Wilderness.

So, although we are totally stoked about our upgrade, we were wondering what could have been written on that computer screen to prompt a 'I'll explain later comment'? I know my fellow wdwmagic friends may be in the 'know'.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Does anyone think NOT doing online check-in could, in any way, increase the chance of an upgrade like this? We're going with a group of 9 on three bookings that are linked together.
From my understanding, online check in will have zero effect on upgrades. In your particular case, I would think that having such a large party with linked reservations would be the thing that could have you looked over for upgrades. I am sure @CaptainShortty could confirm or deny this, but walking to other resorts and upgrades are few and far between and being able to do it to 3 rooms at the same time is not all that common.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yup, you'd be correct! haha. Just as a curiosity since we were discussing it at work, any reason WHY you would turn down the comp upgrade? We had it happen to us last night and were curious why someone would turn it down. And as far as the upgrades, not all of them have to do with walks but a decent amount of the time when an upgrade is as substantial as that it is because of a walk.
One thing I learned quite quickly as a TA is that everyone's tastes are different. What is a perk to some is a downgrade to others. I learned to approach every situation that is different than what a client asked for as a potential problem and to have more than one option available. While something like a garden wing room being upgraded to a club level tower would be a welcomed upgrade to 99% of us, someone who is terrified of heights would see it differently. I also word my conversation in such a way so it comes across as the client is doing me a favor by accepting the change, because in reality they are.

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

From my understanding, online check in will have zero effect on upgrades. In your particular case, I would think that having such a large party with linked reservations would be the thing that could have you looked over for upgrades. I am sure @CaptainShortty could confirm or deny this, but walking to other resorts and upgrades are few and far between and being able to do it to 3 rooms at the same time is not all that common.

Yeah, you're pretty much right on the money with it. Online check-in really doesn't have a whole lot to do with anything and you could be upgraded if or if you don't have it. The travel with may work for or against you. If we need to walk multiple rooms and we can find a resort that is willing to take travel withs and place them together sometimes we'll do it. It means that's two less reservations we have to "convince" to move since if one goes the rest will usually follow. Either way, walks are few and far between and there really is not a way for anyone to predict a certain day that would be a "walk day". Just to put it in perspective for you all, when I worked at DAKL I was on a 4 month internship and we had I believe 2 or 3 days where we were walking rooms during that time frame. Additionally, on those days we walked under 10 people out of probably a couple hundred reservations checking in. So, you're chances of being upgraded for a walk purpose is pretty slim. It's much more likely that you'd be upgraded categories (such as standard to garden) within your resort to accommodate groups, travel withs, etc. .

Upvote 0

Missymoe4

Original Poster
Thank you for explaining that to me :) I didn't know about 'walks'. Although I gladly took the upgrade, I most certainly did not ever think that would happen. Oh, and we did online check-in exactly 10 days prior to the trip, so that did not have any bearing on being a 'walk'. We come to Disney every year and have never had this happen to us before. When we book a hotel/room area, we have always been granted our request. This time, due to overpopulation, we lucked out. Thank you for the explanations--I love learning about the 'behind the scenes' stuff, and that's why I inquired.

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

Thank you for explaining that to me :) I didn't know about 'walks'. Although I gladly took the upgrade, I most certainly did not ever think that would happen. Oh, and we did online check-in exactly 10 days prior to the trip, so that did not have any bearing on being a 'walk'. We come to Disney every year and have never had this happen to us before. When we book a hotel/room area, we have always been granted our request. This time, due to overpopulation, we lucked out. Thank you for the explanations--I love learning about the 'behind the scenes' stuff, and that's why I inquired.

Not a problem!! Glad I could teach you. Hope you're having/had a great trip!

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
This happened to us a couple of years ago. We were checking into All Star Movies and got upgraded to the Beach Club. It was awesome especially since it was Christmastime and we were able to enjoy all the decorations.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom